• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    So it is a server oriented processor.

Or rather - That's the markets targeted by AMD (who has other CPU's in their portfolio that they want to sell to the desktop market).

It doesn't seem to have an embedded GPU (as expected of course). "Weak GPU's" (everything is relative) of the current ARM chips is an argument that some people frequently use to discard ARM for desktop applications.

It does have third generation PCI-e though, so whether it's suited in desktop contexts or not may come down to the total PCI-e bandwidth/number of lanes, etc. Who knows, but if you'd be able to use 16 lanes for a state-of-the-art graphics card (or a budget one for that matter), and a few other lanes for some additional peripheral controllers/slots, then I don't think it's out of consideration for desktop applications. 8x 64-bit Cortex-A57 cores with dual-channel DDR 2/3 etc will perform quite well, and not every desktop application/customer needs or wants a Core-i7 level gaming system anyway (in fact, most probably don't).

Looking forward to see more information about this one. I think it can become quite interesting!

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.10.13 - 11:41