X1000
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    But the hardware is there. A-eon delivered it. And of course have made huge loss with it. In contrary, Hyperion is making money from each OS4 copy they have sold with it.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »05.06.12 - 17:08
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

Does anyone know about a nick/name of someone that is missing from the list, that should be added there?

Yes.

P.S. The X1000 is just a computer. AmigaOS is just an operating system. Professional help is available. See your doctor.
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »05.06.12 - 19:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ssolie
    Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know about a nick/name of someone that is missing from the list, that should be added there?

Yes.

Great, I *knew* there would be some more! Who then?

Quote:

P.S. The X1000 is just a computer. AmigaOS is just an operating system. Professional help is available. See your doctor.

As the head honcho of all things OS4 these days, is this going to be your contribution to the discussion? Really?

:-o
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.06.12 - 20:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Takemehomegrandma

Why do you even care? I am not a fan of the X1k myself, but why should I even bother? I don't care. If someone has fun with that device, well why not.
    But IMHO the interesting questions regarding the X1k are:
    1 Will MorphOS support that device?
    2 Will it hurt or benefit MorphOS?
    3 How powerful is it?
    4 What about price/perfomance ratio?
    5 Is that business model sustainable and bring on more users?
    6 Is it worth to make a thread about it that is 36 pages long?

So far I think the answers are:
    1 No.
    2 No and probably also no.
    3 Below expectations.
    4 Ridiculous.
    5 Probably not.
    6 No.

'nuff said.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 05.06.2012 - 20:45 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »05.06.12 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    @tmhgm

Mate, what are you trying to prove? Are you not tired of repeating all that stuff again and again and again here and on other forums?

It's that the way you are trying to promote MorphOS? That's not the way - it's giving us as a community a bad face.

What is more going with your POV on what vapoware is MorphOS 3.0 will be vaporware as there won't be WIFI and 3D support. Mad thinking?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »05.06.12 - 20:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Eh, MorphOS?

:-?
  • »05.06.12 - 21:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it has more of a "prototype" status attached to it

...by you, that is.

> No product available

...for the time being. It was available and it is supposed to be available again.

> never been in production

Your strange interpretation of simple terms ("vapourware", "prototype", "product", "customer", "production") is about to get scary.
  • »05.06.12 - 23:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

Eh, MorphOS?

Yes please.

[feeble joke warning]
    I hear the delay on MorphOS has caused a couple of more features to be dropped, Including In built Grunch suppot, native ICE-FS, and all support for the Mac MIni..

Any attempts to update MorphOS 3.0 on a Macmini will result in automatic downloading and install Debian over the previous MorphOS partition.

:-o
    [/feeble joke warning]
  • »05.06.12 - 23:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Stephen, where did u get that top secret stuff? I heard it's Ubuntu not Debian anyway ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »05.06.12 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Andreas will be along in a minute to link to the approriate announcments. Well, actually, links tt one of his own posts where he links to another of his own posts which in turn links to a german website where he's posted a link to a Polish website which gives the announcement.
  • »05.06.12 - 23:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Too bad as on polish sites we only post links to german sites...
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »05.06.12 - 23:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    pampers,
    Quote:

@tmhgm

Mate, what are you trying to prove? Are you not tired of repeating all that stuff again and again and again here and on other forums?

It's that the way you are trying to promote MorphOS? That's not the way - it's giving us as a community a bad face.

What is more going with your POV on what vapoware is MorphOS 3.0 will be vaporware as there won't be WIFI and 3D support. Mad thinking?

TMHGM does not care if his insane ramblings of a sick mind might actually hurt the sales of MorphOS because of the way he portrays the image of a MorphOS user to the larger Amiga user community.

He does not care that he is not making any sense and that no one else agrees with his skewed point of view.

He does not care that everyone is sick and tired of him repeating his ridiculous rants over and over and over again.

Nothing is going to stop his one man crusade, or convince him that the war is over, and we all lost.

(but I will continue to enjoy what we have today and what ever shows up tomorrow, while remembering and honoring the past, including using all of my MorphOS computers and my X1000, which is definitely not vaporware)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.06.12 - 07:43
  • ASiegel
    amigadave,
    Quote:

TMHGM does not care if his insane ramblings of a sick mind ...

I disagree with Stefan´s rather unorthodox personal definition of "vaporware" but there is absolutely no need to be insulting.
  • »06.06.12 - 08:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > iirc, you were also discussing this topic in this thread. Dunno if
    > you've seen it already.
    > A-Eon will be restructured and moved to Wales

Yes, already seen. I passed on mentioning this "news" item because I can't see anything in there that hadn't already been discussed here way before. And it (now) reads "has been" instead of "will be" :-)
  • »06.06.12 - 09:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    ASiegel,
    Quote:

I disagree with Stefan´s rather unorthodox personal definition of "vaporware" but there is absolutely no need to be insulting.

I apologize to the forum members for that insulting remark, but to be truthful, his actions and insults toward me in the past, for no other reason than my decision to purchase, use and enjoy my X1000 have IMO earned him my dislike and insults in return.

I will not stoop to his level again.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.06.2012 - 00:46 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.06.12 - 09:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Great, I *knew* there would be some more! Who then?

Is there any particular reason you are building this list?
    It's a bit ...creepy.

What's more, it might even be seen as harassment. That's a line you don't want to cross.

In the OS4 world the X1000 is the best machine you can get. If I was an OS4 user I would have got one. Yes, really.
  • »07.06.12 - 01:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mequa
    I do know a little about XMOS. They are a local company to me and started out of the university department I am currently studying at. XMOS itself was conceived as a final-year project of Ali Dixon (on the same course I am on now, no less), and a couple of professors in the department left and joined him to set it up.

Their primary market are embedded controllers, and as academic tools for concurrent programming. XMOS chips are pretty underpowered, yet have practical application due to their design philosophy of parallelism from the ground up (ironic considering OS4's lack of SMP), and ultra-low-latency interface response times, making them useful as embedded controllers. In desktop computers? Not so much.

I don't even think XMOS is that interested in the X1000, as despite being the only proposed desktop computer to use an XMOS controller, its market potential is quite insignificant. Even the MorphOS team aren't interested in the X1000. I don't think the AROS team are either.

Netbook performance at workstation prices with a dated OS? Where can I sign up? :)

On the other hand - are you listening MorphOS Team? Mac Minis are nice and all, but you could do with an X1000 killer, double the performance of the X1000 at half the cost and running MorphOS. Might put the final nail in the X1000's coffin.

P.S. For some reason, the X1000 reminds me of this machine.

[ Edited by Mequa 07.06.2012 - 02:41 ]
  • »07.06.12 - 03:34
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    "final nail in the X1000's coffin"
    What good would that give to Amiga community?

It's good that there are some people that try to produce new HW.

btw. x1000 reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeBox
    And perhaps xena should have more easy to access I/O, like BeBox had.
    Then it could easily replace things like xmos dev kits.
    "The XMOS AVB Reference Design Kit is priced at US$3750"

[ Edited by KimmoK 07.06.2012 - 08:09 ]
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »07.06.12 - 06:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > are you listening MorphOS Team? [...] you could do with an X1000
    > killer, double the performance of the X1000 at half the cost and
    > running MorphOS.

On Power Architecture? If yes, on what hardware? Does the 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac provide twice the per-core performance of the 1.8 GHz X1000?
  • »07.06.12 - 08:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > "The XMOS AVB Reference Design Kit is priced at US$3750"

That was 3 years ago. It's currently available for 349 USD:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XK-AVB-LC-SYS
  • »07.06.12 - 08:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

In the OS4 world the X1000 is the best machine you can get.

But you can't! The Pegasos1, the Pegasos2, the Efika, the AmigaOne SE, the AmigaOne XE, the AmigaOne micro, the Sam440, the Sam460 — they have all been on the market, they have all been stocked up and "in production", meaning any potential customer is *actually able to buy it*, and when numbers in warehouses were running low, new production runs were made to *keep* the product available on the market. See the difference? You can't get the X1000, not "in the OS4 world" either, it's not only in the *real* world they aren't here!

Quote:

If I was an OS4 user I would have got one.

Well honestly, it's not *me* who is stopping you from becoming one, is it? Isn't the fact that there aren't any AmigaOne X1000's on the market a bigger obstacle than *me* "preventing" you from getting one? And the fact that it is $3,000+ for 2005 level Mac performance doesn't really help either, does it, even if it *would* have been for sale, right? Talk is cheap minator! The A1X1K however, isn't...

@ thread

Some people actually believes what Hyperion says to such a degree that they happily cash in any checks written to them, *long* before there are any cover for it. Most often the checks never gets any cover whatsoever - there has been so many broken promises in the past, so many features announced, but then silently dropped as time goes by. But nobody seems to remember this. It took a decade for them to develop USB2, and it's still not 100% reliable for 100% of the users (judging from posts at AW.net), and now the same people have been selling true SMP for quite some time. And some people buys this, with a happy smile in their face! "KimmoK" for example has made countless of posts over at Amiga.org about how bright the future is for OS4 and PPC since there are coming so many new CPU's having up to 26 cores or whatever. Like OS4 would have had true SMP already! Check — cash in! And the Xorro and Xena are other key features of the AmigaOne X1000, something that has been hyped for several years now. We have heard all kinds of amusing speculations from enthusiasts that just got themselves another check from Hyperion of all the fantastic things this could mean for OS4, ranging all the way up to having an OS4 based super computer render station with massive amounts of parallel cores! Check — cash in! But guess what it can do on OS4? It can flash LED's!

These are the two main features of the AmigaOne X1000, the two key selling points, and they simply aren't here, and possibly *never will* (especially the true SMP without breaking the Amiga), hence the "Vapor". And I think some of you people should reflect a bit over the fact that even A-eon was using the term "First contact" as a suffix to the product name. This is "Earlybird" written differently. Meaning not even A-eon consider it to be a fully developed system yet (and they are actually being honest about it), and I'm very amused that some people here *still* wants to argue about this fact so vividly. The AmigaOne X1000 is still under heavy development, it has a long way to go to reach its promised goals, the few systems in existence are more like prototypes under development than the real product it is set out to become some day. Those of you saying "it's here" aren't helping, because it's *not* here, and given the enormous challenges of *getting* it here are so grandiose (if not impossible altogether) that the risk of it not getting here is *overwhelming* (especially considering Hyperion's underwhelming track record), so chances are that you are actually *participating* in handing out those Hyperion checks that never will get covered, thus sharing the guilt.

Quote:

insane ramblings of a sick mind
    Quote:

Professional help is available. See your doctor.

Character assassination has always been the standard method used by OS4 crowd when facing uncomfortable arguments they can't handle. I guess some things never change. The above words are coming from the OS4 development leader, and one of the moderators over at AmigaWorld.net; point out that you can't buy the X1000, that it still has some *very big* development challenges to overcome (some would say impossible) in order to reach its announced specifications, then you have a sick mind, your words are insane ramblings, you are in need of professional help should see a doctor.

Nice...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 07.06.2012 - 09:56 ]
  • »07.06.12 - 09:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the same people have been selling true SMP for quite some time. [...]
    > And the Xorro and Xena are other key features of the AmigaOne X1000 [...].
    > [...] These are the two main features of the AmigaOne X1000, the two
    > key selling points

From your posting #690:

"100% of what the "customers" pay for, is for the promise of it being *the fastest way of running OS4*"

The undisputable fact is that the X1000 actually *is* "the fastest way of running OS4", even without SMP support and thus with only one CPU core in use. So according to your own previous statement, the customers got 100% of what they paid for when they purchased their X1000. And how can Xena/Xorro be among the X1000's "key selling points" when according to your own statement the customers paid 0% of the total price for it?

> not even A-eon consider it to be a fully developed system yet (and
    > they are actually being honest about it), and I'm very amused that
    > some people here *still* wants to argue about this fact so vividly.

Who does?

> Those of you saying "it's here" [...] are actually *participating* in
    > handing out those Hyperion checks that never will get covered, thus
    > sharing the guilt.

I keep saying that according to what I perceive are the commonplace definitions of the terms, the AmigaOne X1000
    * is not vapourware
    * is not a prototype
    * is in possession of customers
    * is a product
    * and was in production for a certain period of time (and is supposed to get into production again).

So now, what exactly am I guilty of? :-)
  • »07.06.12 - 12:34
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mequa
    KimmoK,
    Quote:

It's good that there are some people that try to produce new HW.

NEW hardware? It's thrown together from obsolete parts at an outrageous price. X1000 is just a way of fleecing Amiga enthusiasts.

Quote:

"The XMOS AVB Reference Design Kit is priced at US$3750"

The quad-core XC-1A Development Kit (with XS1-G4 chip) goes for US $99. (I had fun with one of those, producing a 32-threaded image filter, LED-based game and ant simulator.)

XMOS chip family

If the X1000's Xena is a dual-core XS1-L2, then looking at the above specs, the XC-1A's quad-core XS1-G4 is around twice as powerful. :-)

[ Edited by Mequa 07.06.2012 - 12:28 ]
  • »07.06.12 - 13:10
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    "Does the 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac provide twice the per-core performance of the 1.8 GHz X1000?"

reminds me that no one has yet provided Blender 2.62 tests run on G5 Mac.
    "112s blender 2.62 PA6T 1.8Ghz Dualcore (LinuxMint)
    113s blender 2.62 G4 1.8Ghz DualCPU !
    115s blender 2.43 G5 2.3Ghz Dualcore (erroneously reported singlecore?)
    117s blender 2.44 G5 2.3Ghz Dualcore
    202s blender 2.5a PowerBook 1667Mhz
    205s blender latest PowerBook 1667Mhz (Piru)
    256s blender 2.42 PowerBook 1667Mhz
    305s blender 2.43 PowerBook 1667Mhz
    318s blender 2.44 PMac 1600Mhz
    368s blender 2.43 MacMini 1420Mhz
    "

Untill then. G4 and PA6T is faster than G5. ;-)

@Mequa

Mainly the x1000 CPU is in y2006 performance range (modern netbook range), otherwise it's more modern than any PowerPC Mac and as modern as average PC today.

Other than that, most people can see the difference between HW in production vs old HW.

[ Edited by KimmoK 07.06.2012 - 14:32 ]
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »07.06.12 - 13:29