• Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mequa
    I do know a little about XMOS. They are a local company to me and started out of the university department I am currently studying at. XMOS itself was conceived as a final-year project of Ali Dixon (on the same course I am on now, no less), and a couple of professors in the department left and joined him to set it up.

Their primary market are embedded controllers, and as academic tools for concurrent programming. XMOS chips are pretty underpowered, yet have practical application due to their design philosophy of parallelism from the ground up (ironic considering OS4's lack of SMP), and ultra-low-latency interface response times, making them useful as embedded controllers. In desktop computers? Not so much.

I don't even think XMOS is that interested in the X1000, as despite being the only proposed desktop computer to use an XMOS controller, its market potential is quite insignificant. Even the MorphOS team aren't interested in the X1000. I don't think the AROS team are either.

Netbook performance at workstation prices with a dated OS? Where can I sign up? :)

On the other hand - are you listening MorphOS Team? Mac Minis are nice and all, but you could do with an X1000 killer, double the performance of the X1000 at half the cost and running MorphOS. Might put the final nail in the X1000's coffin.

P.S. For some reason, the X1000 reminds me of this machine.

[ Edited by Mequa 07.06.2012 - 02:41 ]
  • »07.06.12 - 03:34