• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Andreas

The "AmigaOne" would not exist without OS4, for several reasons. Its name is licensed from Hyperion, the makers of OS4, who in turn has a license from Amiga Inc, the Amiga IP owner. The reasons to why it was made, was *only* to produce a system on which OS4 could run. That's the *only* reason. Which means that neither the "Nemo motherboard" would have existed, hadn't it been for OS4. There is no chance in hell that something like Nemo would be developed for 2012+ markets, based on PPC, with "Xorro" and "Xena" and whatever, as a way to run *Linux* in the performance range that PPC Mac's did back in 2005! No way! *OS4* is the reason to why it exists, and there has been other "AmigaOne's" in the past, and maybe there will be others in the future, the HW is merely the vessel, the OS is both the heart and soul of the product, the only thing that isn't replaceable, and 100% of what the "customers" pay for, is for the promise of it being *the fastest way of running OS4*, much thanks to the announced SMP feature (one of the most noticeable parts that simply isn't developed yet, "Xena" and "Xorro" are other, and the fact that the OS isn't even supporting the on-board controllers yet is yet another thing that makes this an unfinished product). *Everything* in "AmigaOne" is about OS4, *everything*, hence it's *the* central part of the AmigaOne concept. And I (and I know I'm hardly the only one) have *serious* doubts that the AmigaOne X1000 will ever live up to its promised features, Hyperion's track record clearly speaks against it, and it will take a lot more than Steven "OS4 has 5000 users" Solie's *words* to make it true.

Not only is the AmigaOne X1000 still *very underdeveloped*, it's *not available* either, and the fact is that it has never been available in the sense that normal consumer products are. When Jens Schönfeld puts a product to the market, he makes the product available, he writes a press release about it, and then you can buy it from his store or one of his resellers. This has *never* been the case with the AmigaOnce X1000, no-one has ever been able to say "Hmm, what should I do today, well, how about getting myself an AmigaOne X1000, I have thought about that for some time, and now it's time to do it". It has never been in stock, anywhere. You can't buy it from Vesalia, not from GGS Data, not from AmigaKit, not even from www.a-eon.com. The reason to why I put so much weight on this, is because of the obvious poor viability of the A1X1K, it's probably the very least viable thing I have ever seen, it can't even breathe by itself, I seriously doubt it could live outside the incubator in which it is being brought up in, meaning it has a lot to prove, a helluvalot more than the Raspberry Pi, which indeed is a real product, very much alive, with a real market, real customers, a real market need to fill, a real purpose, and real support from a real company. Very different from producing some handfull of motherboards based on individual e-mail correspondence directly between the producer and purchaser, production counted in tens of units based on pre-payment, and having them produced/delivered up to half a year later. I remember Thendic France operated like that on their very first, tiny batch of Pegasos 1 boards, a very long time before the first April patch was released and they started to stock up products at resellers, and a very long time before MorphOS reached a usable level on it. They called those "Betatester" systems (not to be confused with later Betatester(2?) systems sold through distributors), and as products they were definitely prototype class. Overall similarities with the current AmigaOne X1000 situation is striking.

So it isn't fully developed yet, it's not available, it's not "in production" (meaning somewhat recurring production runs to fill up stock when stock is getting low ("stock" is not even an applicable term in an A1X1K context)), the poor viability speaks against *any* of this will ever happen, and especially so *all* of them (and chances are that with a few hundred active OS4 users world wide, the market for a $3,000+ product performing like a $300 PowerMac may already be saturated; those few interested enough has already got one, meaning it will be over before it really begun), so in short: It's a none-product! Vapor, until proven differently! It has not yet reached the starting-line of the race in its full configuration! At best it could be considered a prototype, something that hasn't reached its announced features yet and is still under development.

I have understood as much as you don't share my views of "vapor". And I don't share your views of "product". I'm fine with that. I think I will be proven right in the end, but I won't cry if I'm proven wrong. It's a none-issue after all, without any impact on the world (or even the Amiga community) whatsoever. Time will tell, maybe not even a full year from now, maybe a bit more, we'll see...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 05.06.2012 - 11:28 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.06.12 - 10:40