• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the biggest effort, what separates the *products* from the *none-products* (the vapor),
    > still remains.

I don't share this assessment of yours. In my eyes, the X1000 is product enough to be more than "vapourware" and also more than a "none-product".

> Of all these more or less ambitious projects that never reached the market [...] quite
    > a few actually *did* reach a level where they existed in a tangible form, hence they
    > could be sold in the same way as the X1000

Which of those listed projects specifically you consider having reached a state comparable to the current state of the X1000 so they could have been "sold in the same way as the X1000"? I glanced through your list and didn't notice any project that came as far as the X1000 currently is, except for "TeronPX (AmigaOne)", which not only could have been sold but actually was sold.

> if the "product" isn't viable enough, then this is where the stop button is usually being
    > pressed. This is where projects become vapor.

This is not my understanding of the term. If a product reaches one or more production runs, is sold to regular customers and is only then stopped from being produced, it's not vapourware any more in my book. It would be a very short-lived product, though.

> Sure, the HW design exists and can be manufactured if wanted (and afforded).

I even think that the Nemo v2.1 board is some solid piece of hardware, even with that XCore nonsense on board.

> the HW is the *minor* part in the AmigaOne X1000 product

I don't share this assessment. More than 95% of what the X1000 customers pay for the product is for the hardware part alone.

> It's OS4 that defines the AmigaOne, not the "Nemo".

The AmigaOne X1000 product as specified by A-Eon is defined by the combination of OS4 on the software side and the Nemo board, the boing ball case and other minor parts (like the gfx card) on the hardware side.

> the problem is Hyperion's track record. [...] Sam460 has been sold to end-users for more
    > than a year(?), and still it hasn't stable drivers for *fundamental* parts of the system.

As far as I've understood the distribution of roles, that may be ACube's duty not Hyperion's.

> You think it's a *product* just because some PCB exists in some peoples possession.

No, I think it's a product because the hardware is readily developed, OS4 for it is in a rather usable state (from a perspective of me as a MorphOS user at least) and it is in the hand of customers.

> I don't agree with your definition.

Funny, as you obviously have not even been aware of what my definition actually is. So what you're not agreeing with is your delusion of what my definition is.

> IMO it has much more in common with the C65 or Amiga Walker, than it
    > has to the Raspberry Pi (which is [...] not in any way comparable)

I mentioned the Raspberry Pi just because you criticized about the X1000 that you couldn't order one this instant and have it shipped to you today. This has always been the case with the Raspberry Pi as well. This comparison was just made to illustrate the absurdity of your reasoning.

> I think people [...] see the poor 2005 level performance.

I still think it's more like 2007-level performance.

> Hence it's a none-product in my views, just like the C65, the Walker, and many
    > of the listed "products" above.

In my view it is a product as it meets the "product" definitions I'm aware of. The C65, the Walker and all items in your list except for the "TeronPX (AmigaOne)" do not meet those.

> chances are actually that more C65's were produced, and "sold" for that matter.

The C65 prototypes built in 1990/1991 were sold as part of the Commodore liquidation sale no earlier than 1994. That's quite a different thing compared to the sale of the X1000 units. In case A-Eon should fold in the near term and batch(es) of X1000 will get sold off I'll look at that comparison again. Until then, I'll consider the X1000 a real product as opposed to the prototype C65 remnants.

Btw, is it just me or did you really dodge my 4 question I asked you regarding certain claims you made (up?)?
  • »04.06.12 - 23:58