• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's simple really.

Indeed it is:

1. The X1000 exists.
    2. An unknown to us number of X1000 units was available for sale.
    3. All of those X1000 units available for sale so far have been purchased.

Points 1 and 2 mean the X1000 is not vapourware, at least according to all definitions of the term "vapourware" I'm aware of. Point 3 means there are customers who bought the X1000, at least according to all definitions of the term "customer" I'm aware of.

> You can't buy it, there aren't any available

I already explained to you that the *current* availability status has no bearing on whether the product is vapourware or not and whether it has customers or not, especially as the X1000 units were verifiably on sale and were verifiably purchased by customers.

> it's not "in production"

Apart from the fact that the *current* production status has no bearing on whether the product is vapourware or not, how do you know? There's even an X1000 betatester claiming that the Nemo boards of the new X1000 batch to be put on sale in "late Q2 2012" are readily produced and being shelved at AmigaKit since the beginning of May:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.os4welt.de/viewtopic.php?f=1%26t=234%26start=80

> and except from one or two limited batches [...], it has *never* been.

So essentially you say that it has been in production indeed. Thanks for proving my point.

> Sure, our views on the term "Vapor" may differ

They do, obviously.

> customers are asked not to talk about their experiences in public
    > but in closed, private forums

Asked by whom exactly? A-Eon? AmigaKit? X1000 betatesters? Other customers?

> customers are discouraged from testing/benchmarking the thing

Discouraged by whom exactly? A-Eon? AmigaKit? X1000 betatesters? Other customers?

> I think it's more appropriate to call it "Prototypes" being sold
    > while in development, rather than "Products", and IMHO this is what
    > a very limited bunch of people are in possession of. Prototypes.
    > Not a finished product.

I see you are solely concentrating on the software side of the X1000 product here, i.e. OS4 (after all, the Nemo v2.1 board seems to be quite a solid product), but I don't see how your Wikipedia link supports your assessment that the non-support for several components of the X1000 in OS4 makes the X1000 a prototype. My connotation of the term "prototype" is something much less complete and functional, such like the Amiga Walker and the C65.

> There are some people in possession of the Amiga Walker from Amiga
    > Technologies. There are some people in possession of the C65 from
    > Commodore.

See above.

> There are many more examples of things actually existing in a
    > tangible form (read: the results of something coming out from a very
    > limited production run), but prototypes nevertheless, that has not
    > yet reached its full specifications.

As your view of the X1000 as a "prototype" is obviously limited to the software side of things, the customers can at least hope for their "prototype" to reach "full specifications" in a very easy way, i.e. by downloading and installing software updates. A real hardware prototype upgrade is much harder to proceed :-)

> The AmigaOne X1000 [...] has never been sold from stock without prior
    > written agreements between the customer and the producer directly

The current "First Contact" customers had to sign written agreements with A-Eon? Could you please cite a reliable reference for this claim?

> I couldn't order one this instant and have it shipped to me today,
    > even if I wanted to, and this has *never* been possible!

True, but that doesn't mean it's "vapourware" nor that there are no customers. You could try to order a Pandora or a Raspberry Pi this instant and have it shipped to you today :-)

> It's not here

True, it's with the existing customers.

> It's vapor. Prototype maybe, but it's a none-product nevertheless.

I still don't think so.
  • »04.06.12 - 15:41