• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Andreas

It's simple really. You can't buy it, there aren't any available, it's not "in production", and except from one or two limited batches (with very special circumstances attached to it, see below), it has *never* been. One of the key parts of the equation, the SW part (OS4, the very base for the "AmigaOne" name license, for the boing ball on the case, the single one reason to *the very existence* of the AmigaOne X1000 concept in the first place), is even quite far from supporting it as it should, it will possibly take several years still until it does, if ever. They have made limited production batches, the first one sold as "Beta tester" boards under NDA. Sure, our views on the term "Vapor" may differ, but IMHO when something is being made in extremely limited batches, without key components being finished yet, and the thing is labeled "First Contact", "Early Bird", whatever, and when customers are asked not to talk about their experiences in public but in closed, private forums, etc, when customers are discouraged from testing/benchmarking the thing, etc *with references to its unfinished state*, then I think it's more appropriate to call it "Prototype" being sold while in development, rather than "Product", and IMHO this is what a very limited bunch of people are in possession of. Prototypes. Not a finished product. There are some people in possession of the Amiga Walker from Amiga Technologies. There are some people in possession of the C65 from Commodore. There are many more examples of things actually existing in a tangible form (read: the results of something coming out from a very limited production run), but prototypes nevertheless, that has not yet reached its full specifications. The AmigaOne X1000 as a whole has not yet reached its 1.0 level. It has never been sold from stock without prior written agreements between the customer and the producer directly, like normal products would. I couldn't order one this instant and have it shipped to me today, even if I wanted to, and this has *never* been possible! Never! It's not here, it's not even finished. It's vapor. Prototype maybe, but it's a none-product nevertheless.

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 04.06.2012 - 14:20 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.06.12 - 13:56