• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    amigadave,
    Quote:

I hope that this long hard work that you are writing about is some form of multi-processor support, instead of work to more to a different architecture. If OS4.x has figured out some way to provide multi-processor support into OS4.2 (which they are already talking about working in the present tense as linked to earlier in this thread), I am sure that the MorphOS Dev. Team can do the same kind of multi-processor support in MorphOS, and do it just as well, or even better.

The multi-processor support on OS4 planned is not SMP. Not real multi-processor support. I heard it long time ago but I dont think they changed this.
    They want on a first time acces second CPU using a CPU context switch like we did on old days with Blizzard cards.
    This way doing multi-processor support is crap.
    But I'm agree with the fact if we cant have real SMP with OS4 or MorphOS on theyr actual form, so having this crap context CPU switch is better than nothing.

This limitation and lot of others are the reasons to wake up Qbox and begin to use it as main system. Abox should exists only as a compatibility layer and have to let place to Qbox.

G5 support have more than one problem.
    G5 is not easy to support like other old PPC processors because it have some changes. controlers are diffrent to.
    Porting MorphOS as it is today to G5 is too much work and starting the Qbox revolution is much work and lot of this work should go to trash if MorphOS Team decide to go to modern processors on futur because the Kernel will be modified a lot.

So, supporting G5 is IMHO a very big lost of time because if this work is done, it will not be used for futur versions.
  • »07.03.12 - 19:16