• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @serge,
    Quote:

Hi guys, I remember a morphos team member explaining morphos3 will be the last version before a new and long way of dev to get a new System.
    Are you sur G5 support is planned?

I don't know if this long hard work is to develope Qbox for a new system on PPC processors or if it's a new system based on Qbox for other processor family.

Don't you think G5 support should be wast of time?

I remember the gool of morphos on it's first times. It was to be a moderne operating system with SMP, resource tracking, memory protection and more based on Qbox and using Abox only for compatibility raisons.
    Isn't it time to go this way?

No, I don't agree that it is time to go away from the PPC, not until all of the G5 PowerMac's and what ever few G5 iMac's that are practical and possible, are supported by a version of MorphOS that can run on them. Was this "explanation" that was given to you a private conversation, or something you heard with another group of MorphOS users, or read online somewhere? When did this explanation of what would come after MorphOS3.0 happen? Who was it that was giving this explanation to you?

I hope that this long hard work that you are writing about is some form of multi-processor support, instead of work to more to a different architecture. If OS4.x has figured out some way to provide multi-processor support into OS4.2 (which they are already talking about working in the present tense as linked to earlier in this thread), I am sure that the MorphOS Dev. Team can do the same kind of multi-processor support in MorphOS, and do it just as well, or even better.

The G5 is a significant jump forward for MorphOS that will give us much greater capabilities than ever seen before for any Amiga inspired PPC system. With some form of multi-processor support in MorphOS3.x, the dual G5 and dual core G5 models will bring even more power to MorphOS users.

Also, I thought that the MorphOS Dev. Team had given up on ever doing anything with the "Q-Box" and decided to instead just stick with working on the "A-Box"? If something has changed and the MorphOS Dev. Team has changed their minds about working on the "Q-Box", please send me a link to this new information, or statement by any of the MorphOS Dev. Team members.

It is my hope that the MorphOS Dev. Team will finish MorphOS3.0 and then continue to improve and perfect their support of the G4 PowerBook's. After that, I hope that they will begin work to turn their proof of concept for the G5 PowerMac's into full support for all G5 PowerMac's and also support for the few G5 iMac's that have video cards that can be supported by MorphOS.

After all work to support G5 Mac models is completed, if there is no other PPC designs that have been produced that make sense to port MorphOS to that offer better performance than the G5 Mac models, and also are available at a reasonable cost, then I think the MorphOS Dev. Team should merge with the AROS developers and create a combined AROS/MorphOS for X86, instead of re-inventing the wheel all over again on X86 by themselves.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.03.2012 - 08:17 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.03.12 - 17:04