• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @itix,

Anyone who wanted to had the opportunity to sit at the October AmiWest 2011 Show and use Steve Solie's X1000 for as long as they liked. I was swamped with work at my MorphOS display table (trouble getting Ethernet working) and questions about the FPGA Arcade Replay board, the Natami booklet that I was given to display during the show and my A600 running the AROS 68k boot floppy disk, so I only took a few minutes to try out the X1000 and had a look at the latest build of Timberwolf. Since I imagine that Timberwolf is bloated when compared to Odyssey on MorphOS, I had expected it to run slowly, but it was actually quite usable on the X1000. The general performance of windows opening and moving around within OS4 on the X1000 was good and I wish I had more time available to test out that system. But as I said earlier, I am sure that MorphOS2.7 on my 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, or my 1.42GHz G4 PowerMac are both faster than any OS4 system and I believe that MorphOS has better standards and has better 68k JIT translation for Classic Amiga software. I can't explain why I want an X1000, I just want it for many reasons that don't make any logical sense. If I were completely logical, I probably would have given up on all types of Amiga computers long ago and only used the more main stream systems.

As for your comment about why the X1000 would sell better than the ACube systems, I didn't say that it would, but the SAM boards are basically embedded systems boards that have been adapted for use by the OS4 crowd. The X1000 is the first computer built from the beginning as a new AmigaOS4 computer. That all by itself makes it unique. I am not saying that it is worth the price to everyone. In fact, it is only worth the asking price to a few Amiga fanatics like me and a few hundred others.

Not sure where the number of 250 boards came from. I must have missed it, but that is not surprising, as I was not really interested in getting an X1000 until just a couple of months ago.

I also don't know if that number means that 250 is the number of PA6T chips purchased by A-Eon, or if they have more PA6T's chips to build later Nemo boards for the X1000 production.

I may be completely wrong in my thinking that there might not be later production runs of the X1000 Nemo boards. Like I said, I hope that everyone who wants an X1000 and can afford to buy one has the opportunity to get their own X1000. I hope that I get the opportunity to buy one now, or in a few months.

Your claims that the chip is buggy, or that it is too slow to run OS4 are senseless as far as I can tell. The X1000 is obviously more powerful than the SAM 440 and SAM 460 systems and they run OS4. You can of course point out all of the short comings of OS4 that you want and the fact that it is taking longer than anticipated to port OS4 to the X1000, but it does run OS4 and I have had the opportunity to try it out myself, just not long enough to get a feel for what OS4 is really capable of. I hope and expect that MorphOS will remain well ahead of OS4 in the future and I also hope that MorphOS will eventually support my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, but those things do not stop me from wanting the X1000, or wishing that the MorphOS Development Team would be given an X1000 for each member, so they would decide to port MorphOS to the X1000. I would like to have one computer system that would be capable of running both OS4 and MorphOS, but don't want to go backward to buying a Pegasos2.

Edit: @Redrumloa, My desire to purchase an X1000 does not depend on any benchmarks for the speed of the X1000 hardware. I like the fact that it (to my knowledge) is the only computer designed solely for running any AmigaOS since Commodore went under. I personally like the guy behind the machine and the performance of the X1000 will be adequate for running the software that is currently available for OS4. I could never afford to buy a brand new Amiga when they were still being produced, so getting an X1000 when it is first released also has some appeal. I could go on with many other reasons I want an X1000, but it won't make any difference to those who do not want one and think that spending that amount of money on such a mediocre performing system is a waste of money. I am not trying to convince anyone to purchase an X1000. In fact, I would be more likely to argue against such a purchase, unless you really know what you are getting and understand what it is for.

[ Edited by amigadave 28.11.2011 - 19:15 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.11.11 - 04:00