• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Again Andreas wrote much of the things I'd also say. However it is also true that there are OSes out there that are actually *very* snappy and lightweighted and come with MP. Most prominently and from my 1st hand experience qnx neutrino springs to my mind. That was impressivly fast and rock solid. So I know MP is possible on a lightweight and fast OS. But I also think it is often overrated. I mean most crashy apps are caught already and don't shot down the OS - not much different as if there were MP. Only difference: A program *can* shot the OS dead. But so can apps on OSes that offer MP (I quite well remember the issues I had with a program for data acquIsition I wrote for windows 2k/XP that locked the machine dead again and again - calling a faulty dma routine from driver was the issue... Okay on a micro kernel OS like QNX where all drivers are separated tasks this may be a different story.
    Anyway, MP is definitely not a bad thing per se, but many OSes with MP are dog slow (for many reasons) and still not 100% stable against full locks.
    I rather see the bigger demand for a change in the field of resource tracking, removing dead tasks and freeing all resources would be big plus. But I imagine work on resource tracking and MP are often going hand in hand anyway. But I emphasize it again MP is at least debateable - it's not the holy grail nor the devil.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.09.11 - 21:24
    Profile Visit Website