• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > unless you're willing to go with an X4 compromise like Acube

Just want to add that the x4 PCIe slot on the Sam460ex is first generation PCIe, so an x4 PCIe slot on a QorIQ P5 board (like this solution, which btw seems to be able to provide three active x4 slots and two active SATA controllers at the same time) would still provide twice the bandwidth, equalling an x8 PCIe 1.0 slot.

> No, I don't know about that.

Pity. Your statement made it seem like you'd know more in that regard.

> You must admit that things are looking more encouraging then they
    > have for quite a while.

Yes, they do to me, mainly thanks to Freescale's decision to bring back AltiVec. Between January 2009 when I learned of the discouraging fact that there'll be no more new e600 based chips and September 2010 when Freescale announced its pleasant decision to have AltiVec back (this time in the QorIQ), the situation regarding Power Architecture looked worse, yes. Now I don't mind anymore the scrapping of the e600 based chip line. The e6500 core is probably no worse than what the e700 core with AltiVec would have been, and consequently the QorIQ T5 is probably no worse than what the MPC87xx would have been. It only gets a little embarrassing when you see how long it took Freescale to eventually realize what they had on the roadmap originally no less than 7 years ago ;-)
    And on a side note, Nintendo's announcement to use Power Architecture in the Wii U is encouraging for the Power Architecture ecosystem as well. Whether any of those recent developments has the potential to benefit future MorphOS releases in any way remains to be seen, though.
  • »29.06.11 - 12:10