• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

> I guess there're still some information to be revealed to get the whole "quite a story".

A-Eon didn't reveal it so far (no idea why), but as there're still discussions on this and questions occuring at various places I'm going to tell how I perceive this "quite a story" came along in chronological order:

1. A-Eon decides for the PA6T, approaches P.A.Semi for recommendation of a board design company with PA6T experience and subsequently get turned to Varisys.
    2. A-Eon plans on buying PA6T chips from P.A.Semi, but before it's able to place an order P.A.Semi is purchased by Apple (April 2008).
    3. Apple decides to supply the PA6T to P.A.Semi's existing customers only, which A-Eon is not but Varisys is.
    4. Apple calls P.A.Semi's existing customers for final PA6T orders as the chip is going to be discontinued. Varisys informs A-Eon about this call.
    5. A-Eon asks Varisys to place an order for an (unknown to us) amount of PA6T chips. Varisys agrees.
    6. Varisys orders the chips from Apple. The chips arrive at Varisys.
    7. A-Eon in turn purchases those chips from Varisys, effectively rendering Varisys A-Eon's CPU supplier (the chips remain at Varisys, though, for obvious reasons). As part of this supply agreement between Varisys and A-Eon, Varisys demands an NDA* to be signed.

* The reason for Varisys' NDA requirement is even more speculative than my timeline. Maybe the supply agreement between Apple and its PA6T customers contained the condition that the customer must not resell the chips to 3rd parties, which is what Varisys effectively did though, so they feared penalty from Apple. It's odd at least that Varisys was officially revealed as A-Eon's design partner in June 2010 while the exact type of CPU was only officially revealed half a year later (which must be when the NDA ended).
  • »06.05.11 - 20:21