Update:

> the annual Freescale Technology Forum. The titles of this year's
    > technical sessions have already been published:
    > [...]
    > "Using Freescale's AltiVec SIMD Engine for Graphics, Image Processing,
    > Radar, Video Surveillance and Other Applications
    "
    >
    > They didn't have sessions on AltiVec for some years. I guess this is going
    > to be a foretaste of AltiVec-enabled QorIQ T.

Detailed descriptions of the sessions are online:

http://www.getregisterednow.com/FSL/CEX/Session.aspx?li=1

From there:

"During this session, attendees will gain insight into the next-generation QorIQ products that provide heterogeneous cores, AltiVec-enablement and assured computing with significant overall system performance within embedded power budgets." (FTF-NET-F0273)

"AltiVec technology, the SIMD accelerator on current e600 core microprocessors, has found a home on the QorIQ processor roadmap and has proven useful in graphics, image processing, printing, radar, sonar, video surveillance and other markets. This presentation will look at some of the performance enhancements achieved with original AltiVec technology and the improvements incorporated in the updated version." (FTF-NET-F0531)

I'm really eager to see what those "improvements incorporated in the updated version" of AltiVec are about. That goes in line with what Glenn Beck, marketing manager for aerospace, defense and single board computing within Freescale's Networking Processor Division, said when he divulged six months ago that with AltiVec they "have taken a proven technology, enhanced it, and moved it to the multicore QorIQ family of processors". I hope it will be better than IBM's VMX128.

Edit: PDF presentation with mention of "Enhanced AltiVec" (page 8):

http://www.advantech.eu/adf/file/munich/agenda/Advantech_Design-In_Forum_QorIQ.pdf

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 14.04.2011 - 14:44 ]
  • »26.03.11 - 00:05