• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I'm not one for unsupported conspiracy theories, but isn't it odd that two of Apples recent acquisitions eliminated two promising PPCs. First Apple acquires PA Semi and phases out the PA6T, then they purchase Intrinsity and prevents APM from introducing Titan.
    I can't picture Steve Jobs making these acquisitions solely to damage the Power processor industry, but that is part of what has happened.

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories either, but it is not outside the realm of possibilities that preventing any kind of resurgence, or popular success of any manufacturer trying to use any PPC architecture in a personal computer would be sabotaged by Apple to prevent any backlash or second guessing of their decision to move away from PPC CPUs in all their products. I doubt that any of Apple's decisions for these acquisitions was based only on any fear of a resurgence of PPC, but it might have been a tiny partial added benefit to their bigger plans to shut down certain PPC projects.

Then again, it may have never crossed their minds and be just a coincidence. No way to ever confirm one way or the other.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.03.11 - 00:23