• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    After two days of consideration, I have removed the entire posting I made as I feel it was a rant full of personal opinion that isn't worthy of the usually high standards that most of you hold yourselves to.

From now own, I'll try to restrain myself and remain civil rather than offer my prejudices.

I can understand how difficult it would be to embrace all the hardware used in the X86 market. Frankly, the development team lacks the time and resources to create all the drivers and attendant software necessary to do so. I'm really unsure how the backers of AROS think they're going to deal with this issue when it plagues the Linux community and they have a larger base of users and developers.

To the point, rather than focus on the products of one specific company, if MorphOS were to move to an x86 base it would make more sense to select specific chipsets and hardware to base systems around.

Then we would be able to select components and assemble systems at a more reasonable cost than those built by Apple.

I not only found the idea of having to overpay for Apple products troubling, rather, being tied to the choices made by the executives of that company was particularly foreboding. Unlike many of you, over the years I have not always been impressed with some of the choices Apple has made.

I wish I could say, like so many of you have, that you will follow in whatever future direction the development team decides to move to.

Currently, I truly enjoy what has been created and look forward to the support of the hardware that has probably been mentioned prematurely.

If there is a move after the G5, it isn't my place to point where we go, but I fear it will never makes as much sense and that I might not be as sure of that direction we're headed as I do right now.

Any of you that want to continue to argue for a shift to an X86 or an ARM platform can feel free to argue your points, but I'd just like to thank the developers for their current focus and congratulate them on continuing to remain focused on a successful, logical expansion of their original concepts.

I feel comfortable with what has already been accomplished and no matter what happens in the future, even if MorphOS falters and dies (which many good ideas in computing do), what the developers have managed to do so far impresses more than anything else I've seen in the post Commodore Amiga community.

Thanks again, guys.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/8/8 21:20 ]

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/8/8 21:27 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.08.10 - 01:51