• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

64 bit (soon to be 128 bit)

What? 128 bit processors? Tell us more, please... By the way, I still fail to see usefulness in a 64 bit processor, outside from extremely high end scientific and datacenter environments. Their only advantage is being able to adress an absurd amount of memory in a single space, right?

By the way, I'd summarize your comparison:

MorphOS

No market.

x86 OSes

Market.

And have in mind, most of the advantages you've cited in "x86 OSes" are, actually, exclusive to a vertain VERY popular x86 operating system...

Quote:

What advantages does MorphOS bring to the X86 platform?

Didn't you know yet? Computer fun! Not that there's a market for that, of course.

Quote:

I would never attempt to write code on a X86 machine witout a high level programming tool.

From what I learnt recently about compilers, attempting to write in assembly language simply makes no sense: Their code optimizers are able to do things not even an good assembly coder would dare to.

Quote:

If MorphOS moves to the X86 platform, I will stay with Windows.

Legitimate choice. And it also has its logic. But the idea is not what MorphOS would bring to a different hardware, but what that different hardware (cheap, powerfull, available) would bring to MorphOS.

Regular people don't even know that a computer has a certain processor. Decades in software development were aimed at that (what a triumph, I'd say).
  • »24.06.10 - 15:20