Morphos 3 on Amiga X1000!!!1!1
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Posts: 2716 from 2003/3/5
    From: Canada
    Quote:

    I wish there was less emotion and more businness in the communities MorphOS/OS4/AROS ...


    Business? MorphOS won't be ported to X1000 for business reasons obviously. There's no way that port would generate as much revenue as the Mac port did and still does / will do once more models are supported.
  • »01.10.10 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Posts: 809 from 2008/7/6
    From: Antwerp, Belgium
    Did I say it should be ported to X1000 ? I see no reason why you should. On the other hand ... was Efika worth the effort from a business point of view?

    What I wanted to say is that whenever there is talk about porting something to the hardware of "the other" next-gen amiga OS, there are 5 rational comments like yours and 495 emotional comments. It sucks.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

  • »01.10.10 - 10:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Posts: 1178 from 2003/3/13
    From: Pinto, Madrid ...
    Quote:

    Oepabakkes wrote:

    was Efika worth the effort from a business point of view?


    I thought the Team got paid directly by Genesi for that. It's not the same as the Mac Mini case, for which they worked, and expected revenue afterwards.
  • »01.10.10 - 11:07
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > I wish there was less emotion and more businness in the
    > communities MorphOS/OS4/AROS ...
    > Amigaworld.net ... I usually stop reading after the first 5 posts

    Piru's recent statement including his "emotional" 3rd reason for not porting MorphOS to the X1000 is from Amiga.org, not from Amigaworld.net.

    > I do have an interest in OS4 an X1000

    Too bad this thread is about *MorphOS* on X1000 then :-P
  • »01.10.10 - 11:13
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > MorphOS won't be ported to X1000 for business reasons obviously.

    I think that Oepabakkes refers to Piru stating:
    "Thirdly: Ben Hermans. You can't expect MorphOS developers to get involved with anything even remotely related to this person."

    Another one:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6775&forum=11&post_id=69409#69409
  • »01.10.10 - 11:18
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > was Efika worth the effort from a business point of view?

    jcmarcos is right:

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5019&forum=2&post_id=48355#48355
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6086&forum=3&post_id=60174#60174
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6355&forum=3&post_id=64046#64046
  • »01.10.10 - 11:27
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Posts: 809 from 2008/7/6
    From: Antwerp, Belgium
    I know that it was paid by Genesi ... and it's understandable why there isn't a "no" or "yes" answer to the question "was Efika worth it".

    About the emotional comment ... I am not pointing to a person or site in particular. It's just general community behavior that I do not like because in my eyes a lot of users left the scene because of it and it's bad publicity for whoever wants to join the scene. So no need to feel attacked. Why I should attack? I bought a 2.0 license in the past and the PowerMac I bought yesterday is ready for another.

    To be on topic:

    And no I am not interested in MorphOS on X1000... why should I? A Mac is just fine and a *lot* cheaper. But that doesn't change the fact I am interested in this machine together with OS4. But that being just a side comment and I now realize I should choose my words more carefully or just shut up before things get out of hand.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

  • »01.10.10 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > I know that it was paid by Genesi

    Then I don't understand your question.

    > it's understandable why there isn't a "no" or "yes" answer to the
    > question "was Efika worth it".

    The answer of jcmarcos and me *is* an implicit "yes". It seems the MorphOS port to Efika 5200B was "worth the effort from a business point of view" because Genesi paid for it. Now clear?

    > About the emotional comment ... I am not pointing to a person

    Strange then that your nagging comment happened right after I had reactivated this thread with a link to Piru's recent Amiga.org statement which also includes an emotional reason for not porting MorphOS to X1000. Coincidence?

    > or site in particular.

    Really? Let's see:

    "Amigaworld.net ... I usually stop reading after the first 5 posts, whatever follows behind those 5 posts is mostly whining, spamming, trolling and more bad things that make me loose interest. If I want brainless "soap" ... I go watch Neighbours, Days Of Our Lives or even worse: Bold And The Beautifull"

    > no need to feel attacked.

    I don't.

    > Why I should attack?

    I don't think you do. We're just having a discussion.
  • »01.10.10 - 12:47
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Posts: 809 from 2008/7/6
    From: Antwerp, Belgium
    I now have my answer: yes it was worth it because Genesi payed enough. Altough it is combination of what Genesi payed and end-users payed for a keyfile for their Efika.

    Well ok, AW.net being the worst in my eyes because (I really like it few years ago and it was informative at that time) ... but sureley not the only one. AMiga.org Moobunny and that other OS4 specific forum - lost the name - ... I don't visit these. never.

    About pointing to Piru ... coincidence, altough I have to admit it doesn't look like that. My bad.

    I am glad that this is a discussion ... these were rather rare at the time I more less stoped visiting Amiga-ish websites more or less a year ago altough on Morphzone it all stays reasonable. I just have renewed interest with the powermac thing, so for me this is the place to be.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

  • »01.10.10 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    pega-1 wrote:

    I'm currently considering to move on anyway


    No! :-(

    Maybe you meant to say: Move MorphOS onto x86? ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.10.10 - 13:28
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > yes it was worth it because Genesi payed enough. Altough it is combination of
    > what Genesi payed and end-users payed for a keyfile for their Efika.

    I think that the MorphOS Team regarded the sum payed by Genesi as large enough to port MorphOS even in case license sales for Efika would go bad afterwards, seeing it's been clear from the start that an amount of 128 MiB RAM severely limits the Efika's use for desktop computing. But I don't know if these sales actually went significantly better or worse than what they had anticipated. It may even be that Genesi's payment was large enough that even with not selling one single Efika license the port would have been worth it ;-)

    > About pointing to Piru ... coincidence

    Okay.

    > I just have renewed interest with the powermac thing,
    > so for me this is the place to be.

    Nice to hear. But mind you that MorphOS on PowerMac is being discussed in other threads, not this one ;-)
  • »01.10.10 - 13:36
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > Maybe you meant to say: Move MorphOS onto x86? ;-)

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=76707#76707
  • »01.10.10 - 13:47
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:

    jcmarcos wrote:Quote:

    Oepabakkes wrote:
    was Efika worth the effort from a business point of view?

    I thought the Team got paid directly by Genesi for that.


    Indeed, and back when that port was initiated, the Efika was mostly seen as a platform "to get things going" by Genesi, while waiting for the 5121e based "LimePC" devices. These devices were the goal, not the Efika itself, and MorphOS could have played a key part there (albeit in a different shape than the "desktop" MorphOS we like to use).

    Quote:

    It's not the same as the Mac Mini case, for which they worked, and expected revenue afterwards.


    Somehow I doubt that anyone gets enough money from the license fees to say that *revenue* is their biggest motivation for MorphOS development. But maybe I'm wrong...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.10.10 - 13:49
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Maybe you meant to say: Move MorphOS onto x86? ;-)

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=76707#76707


    Well, an "interesting" (hmm) source for facts there...

    Anyway, I know that x86 would mean a lot of problems. Maybe ARM would be easier? And a lot of things are happening there now. Cortex A8 is established, and used in several chips. Cortex A9 will advance it further in 2011, and ARM Unveils Cortex-A15 Mpcore Processor for 2012. ARM is no longer "just a cellphone" thing. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.10.10 - 14:06
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > an "interesting" (hmm) source for facts there...

    Yes, the CTO of the company you seem to like so much, judging from your postings here on MorphZone and elsewhere ;-) You think he made that up?

    > ARM Unveils Cortex-A15 Mpcore Processor for 2012.

    Yes, already mentioned here:

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6268&forum=11&post_id=76568#76568
  • »01.10.10 - 14:25
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > back when that port was initiated, the Efika was mostly seen as a platform "to get
    > things going" by Genesi, while waiting for the 5121e based "LimePC" devices.

    Just to put this into chronologic perspective: Genesi's payment to the MorphOS Team for porting MorphOS to the Efika 5200B took place no later than January 2007. The letter of intent between THTF/MTC and Genesi was signed in October 2007. Freescale announced the MPC5121e in May 2007 to start sampling one month later. So I think it's clear that in January 2007 there were no "LimePC" devices nor any other MPC5121e based device in any kind of development. At this point in time Genesi had mere intentions to develop devices based on a future and not even announced yet MPC5200B successor SoC that's to include a 3D capable graphics core:

    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/10/wanting-what-you-have.html

    > MorphOS could have played a key part there

    While BBRV indeed said so many times, Neko contradicted these statements:

    "Except for overexcitement on the part of one executive, MorphOS was not in their interests at all"
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6196&forum=11&post_id=63156#63156

    Unfortunately, Neko never answered my question regarding this contradiction.

    > I doubt that anyone gets enough money from the license fees to say
    > that *revenue* is their biggest motivation for MorphOS development.

    I fail to see anyone said that in this thread.
  • »01.10.10 - 23:02
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > an "interesting" (hmm) source for facts there...

    Yes, the CTO of the company you seem to like so much, judging from your postings here on MorphZone and elsewhere ;-)


    I don't "like it so much", I'm actually quite indifferent towards it. But I like to see the "Amiga trade mark" pot being stirred. :-) And a new Commodore Amiga running AROS would be cool! :-)

    Quote:

    You think he made that up?


    I think you shouldn't appoint him as a spokes person for the MorphOS team, because he isn't.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.10.10 - 07:06
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Posts: 1178 from 2003/3/13
    From: Pinto, Madrid ...
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:

    Just to put this into chronologic perspective...


    MorphZone is one of the biggest sources of information about the MPC5121e, and the fiascos around it: Starting with THTF, through the original LimePC/Cherrypal (which was to be a MorphOS computer), all the way to freescale's decision to pull the plug of a whole division.

    (and yet we love PowerPC processors :-) )
  • »05.10.10 - 07:27
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > back when that port was initiated, the Efika was mostly seen as a platform "to get
    > things going" by Genesi, while waiting for the 5121e based "LimePC" devices.

    Just to put this into chronologic perspective: Genesi's payment to the MorphOS Team for porting MorphOS to the Efika 5200B took place no later than January 2007. The letter of intent between THTF/MTC and Genesi was signed in October 2007. Freescale announced the MPC5121e in May 2007 to start sampling one month later. So I think it's clear that in January 2007 there were no "LimePC" devices nor any other MPC5121e based device in any kind of development.


    The Efika was the means to an end, not the end by itself. It was an evaluation/development platform while waiting for "the real thing", which was a highly moving target at that point. Genesi had ideas for consumer devices. Early on they thought of a potential two-chip solution (or even three-chip) based on the 5200B. But those ideas were quickly abandoned. BBRV had good relations with Freescale, and learned early on what was in the pipeline (the 5121e, etc). They searched for a bigger partner in order to realize their ideas, they found THTF, and the result became known as "LimePC", a cooperation which crashed and burned later on. When PPC was out of the question for these kind of devices, they took the same ideas and moved on to ARM and a new cooperation with Pegatron instead (Asus development company). The result is the Efika MX products. It has been the same quest all along, the goal has been the same, only different means to that end.

    Quote:

    At this point in time Genesi had mere intentions to develop devices based on a future and not even announced yet MPC5200B successor SoC that's to include a 3D capable graphics core:

    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/10/wanting-what-you-have.html


    Which is the 5121e, and the products that became the "LimePC".

    Quote:

    > MorphOS could have played a key part there

    While BBRV indeed said so many times, Neko contradicted these statements:

    "Except for overexcitement on the part of one executive, MorphOS was not in their interests at all"
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6196&forum=11&post_id=63156#63156


    I never claimed that MorphOS was realized for LimePC, only that this was *one* of the reasons to why Genesi would want to bring it to the Efika (there were others as well), and possibly also a reason (aside from a porting fee) to why RS agreed; a shot towards a potential big future.

    The reasons to why it wasn't are probably several; like THTF executives simply not wanting to buy into it, like the MorphOS team releasing it for the *efika* two years after the agreement was done, etc. Another big downer in the context, and this is generally speaking and not particular to MorphOS, was of course that the 5121e surprised the interested parties by not having memory coherency, which effectively ruined the purpose of having done prior OS/SW development on the Efika 5200B platform; the chain was broken, the chips turned out to be fundamentally too different.

    Quote:

    > I doubt that anyone gets enough money from the license fees to say
    > that *revenue* is their biggest motivation for MorphOS development.

    I fail to see anyone said that in this thread.


    Indeed it seems you do. Go back in the thread and read the posts talking about business, volume, revenue, payment from Genesi, etc. They suggest that business sense and revenue is what decides what platforms should be supported. And while I to some extent agrees that money plays a part, I don't think it's the driving force. MorphOS licenses are short of 1000 units (and it has probably peaked now, as in amount of users, additional sales are probably to the same users buying new licenses for "new" HW), which means some 100.000+ EUR in total revenues. This might look like a lot of money to a common working man, but deduct various taxes, spread it out over the all the months of which MorphOS 2 has been on "the market", as well as the people involved (I guess most devs would get at least *something* from the license fees) which probably also includes some social welfare tax, and you will see that there isn't really a business going here, at least not something you can live on. Had *business* been the biggest motivator for MorphOS development, then the OS would have been ported to a different architecture a long time ago, and/or niched differently than a general desktop OS. But since most devs mainly seems to be here for hobby reasons, second hand Mac's are perfectly adequate. So the way I see it, money/"business" isn't the biggest motivator for development and primary reason to decide upon which one of the more and more obscure PPC based computers to support...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.10.10 - 08:42
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > I don't "like it so much"

    Then you have a great gift for making it look like you did ;-)

    >> You think he made that up?

    > I think you shouldn't appoint him as a spokes person for the MorphOS team,
    > because he isn't.

    You seem to have missed that he just paraphrased what a certain "Ralph S" guy allegedly told him. Would this "Ralph S" guy qualify as "spokes person for the MorphOS team"? Again: You think it was made up?
  • »06.10.10 - 04:47
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > Early on they thought of a potential two-chip solution (or even three-chip) based
    > on the 5200B.

    Yes, besides the obvious one-chip solution (MPC5200B), which made it as the only one, it were a two-chip solution (MPC5200B + FPGA) and a three-chip solution (MPC5200B + FPGA + Volari GPU) they thought of.

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6305&forum=11&post_id=63099#63099

    > the result became known as "LimePC", a cooperation which crashed
    > and burned later on.

    It seems the LimePC survived this crash and burn:

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6726&forum=11&post_id=77244#77244

    > Pegatron [...] (Asus development company).

    Not any more. It was spun off in June.

    >> http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/10/wanting-what-you-have.html

    > Which is the 5121e

    Yes, obviously. But still the first samples of that chip were 8 months away back then.

    > I never claimed that MorphOS was realized for LimePC

    And I never claimed you did. I just wanted to outline that BBRV and Neko contradicted each other regarding the role of MorphOS in LimePC.

    > this was [...] possibly also a reason (aside from a porting fee) to why RS agreed

    Maybe, or maybe not.

    > the MorphOS team releasing it for the *efika* two years after the agreement was done

    More like 1.5 years.

    > Go back in the thread and read the posts talking about
    > business, volume, revenue, payment from Genesi, etc.

    I did and I still can't find any posting saying something to the effect of "that *revenue* is their biggest motivation for MorphOS development". Firstly there's a difference between "biggest motivation" and just "motivation", and secondly there's probably a difference in intrinsic motivation between porting MorphOS to a desktop-worthy and mass-produced hardware like PPC Macs and porting it to something like the 128 MiB RAM Efika 5200B or the 2000+ EUR X1000, where some kind of additional motivation (read: payment) may be needed to start the porting.

    > you will see that there isn't really a business going here

    Yes, and even without you telling me. It's you who claims that others in this thread would see a business going here.

    > Had *business* been the biggest motivator for MorphOS development

    Again: Nobody said that. It's a straw man argument.

    > then the OS would have been ported to a different architecture a long time ago

    A backwards compatible MorphOS on PPC may still have a better chance to be used by anyone than a non-backwards compatible MorphOS on another architecture.

    > and/or niched differently than a general desktop OS.

    You mean embedded? That's even harder to gain a foothold.
  • »06.10.10 - 06:44
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I don't "like it so much"

    Then you have a great gift for making it look like you did ;-)


    *I do* like the fact that someone else than Hyperion has a license to use the Amiga brand. It sure stirs the BAF pot, when the definition of "What is an Amiga" is no longer Hyperion exclusive. When someone suggests someone else to try out MorphOS, there is always a BAF entering the discussion saying "But it's not Amiga". Epic discussions with Samface comes back to mind, including comparisons of Cola beverages: "But if it looks like Cola, smells like Cola, tastes likes Cola, chances are that it's a Cola! And when 99% of the population can't even relate the various makes of Cola to their correct brand in a blind test, then why do you even care, just enjoy that freakin' Cola!". "No! Only if it has the proper branding, I am not interested in Fanta, 7up, root beer or Dr Pepper". The trade mark followers are still here, and it was great fun to see the confusion among them, when another entity suddenly got the right to use the Amiga brand (and in a better way as well - neither Hyperion, nor A-EON can call any of their products "Amiga"). And I think it's cool that a guy has managed to collect licenses to both the Amiga brand *and* Commodore brand under one roof, this has been a pronounced dream for many people ever since the Commodore bankruptcy. And I would consider a cheap Commodore Amiga running AROS. That would be cool. Even cooler would be if the Efika MX products would be rebranded (not that I think this would happen) and AROS port finished for it. :-) But I ensure you I don't "love" CommodoreUSA, I'm not worshiping them in any way. I'm no zealot about them in any way. It's all about popcorn to me.

    Quote:

    >> You think he made that up?

    > I think you shouldn't appoint him as a spokes person for the MorphOS team,
    > because he isn't.

    You seem to have missed that he just paraphrased what a certain "Ralph S" guy allegedly told him. Would this "Ralph S" guy qualify as "spokes person for the MorphOS team"? Again: You think it was made up?


    Again: you are using a quote from that guy in this thread as some kind of official statement from the MorphOS team regarding x86 ports of MorphOS, which is wrong, for a number of reasons. First there is a possibility that the guy actually has made it up, that he hasn't been in contact with RS. Then there is a possibility that RS answered that way because he doesn't want any connections with that company and/or the trade marks (which would make sense in a way) and it's a way of saying "thanks, but no thanks, go away". Then it could be a possibility that *there is* plans for a x86 port, but nothing they want the public to know about right now. And of course, it could be just as you say, that there is no plans whatsoever for a x86 port. I'd say: Let the MorphOS Team speak for themselves regarding future ports of their OS! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.10.10 - 06:56
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11713 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > the definition of "What is an Amiga" is no longer Hyperion exclusive.

    It never was. Old m68k Amigas for instance have always been and will ever be "Amiga" and Hyperion couldn't do anything about it.

    > I would consider a cheap Commodore Amiga running AROS.

    Over an even cheaper no-name hardware running AROS? ;-)

    > I ensure you I don't "love" CommodoreUSA

    I wrote "like", not "love". I think there's a difference between these concepts.

    > you are using a quote from that guy in this thread as some kind of official
    > statement from the MorphOS team regarding x86 ports of MorphOS

    No, I don't. I use that quote from that guy as a statement from him that a certain "Ralph S" allegedly told him something "regarding x86 ports of MorphOS".

    > there is a possibility that the guy actually has made it up

    Yes, of course. That's why I asked you several times if you think he made it up.

    > there is a possibility that RS answered that way because he doesn't want
    > any connections with that company and/or the trade marks

    Which would mean "RS" really answered that way and it was not made up.

    > it could be a possibility that *there is* plans for a x86 port, but nothing
    > they want the public to know about right now.

    Which would mean "RS" really answered that way and it was not made up?

    > it could be just as you say, that there is no plans whatsoever for a x86 port.

    You're mistaken. I never said anything like that. I merely said that there's someone who claims in public that a certain "Ralph S" guy said to him in privat "that there is no plans whatsoever for a x86 port". Please read more carefully and don't put words into my mouth.

    > Let the MorphOS Team speak for themselves regarding future ports of their OS!

    But as you said such could be lies because that's nothing they want the public to know about ;-)
  • »06.10.10 - 07:30
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Early on they thought of a potential two-chip solution (or even three-chip) based
    > on the 5200B.

    Yes, besides the obvious one-chip solution (MPC5200B), which made it as the only one, it were a two-chip solution (MPC5200B + FPGA) and a three-chip solution (MPC5200B + FPGA + Volari GPU) they thought of.

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6305&forum=11&post_id=63099#63099


    Is there any reason to try to "correct me" with the obvious? I know this!

    Quote:

    > the result became known as "LimePC", a cooperation which crashed
    > and burned later on.

    It seems the LimePC survived this crash and burn


    But not the cooperation, which is what I spoke about. And while THTF obviously is interested in recouping their investment and make use of the 5121e CPU's and other components they obtained for this venture, the original plan was to sell it to the world, not just to unsuspecting consumers locally in China and developing countries.

    Quote:

    > Pegatron [...] (Asus development company).

    Not any more. It was spun off in June.


    Is there any reason to try to "correct me" with the obvious? I know this!

    Quote:

    > Which is the 5121e

    Yes, obviously. But still the first samples of that chip were 8 months away back then.


    I'd say that the products that later came to be called "LimePC" were outlined long before samples of the chip were available.

    And this...

    "What we are getting started with is the Efika MX. We will migrate from consumer devices to vertical markets such as automotive/infotainment, medical/health care and/or energy-monitoring/smart-building. Banking and education markets also come to mind"

    ...probably means that there are numerous new products being outlined right now. Possibly utilizing ARM CPU's still in design stage, who knows? (Although the Freescale ARM portfolio is already quite complete and covers a great deal of possibilities.)

    Quote:

    > I never claimed that MorphOS was realized for LimePC

    And I never claimed you did. I just wanted to outline that BBRV and Neko contradicted each other regarding the role of MorphOS in LimePC.


    There certainly weren't any contradictions back when the agreement to port MorphOS to the Efika was announced. Nobody could possibly know back then how the future would play out.

    Quote:

    > Go back in the thread and read the posts talking about
    > business, volume, revenue, payment from Genesi, etc.

    I did and I still can't find any posting saying something to the effect of "that *revenue* is their biggest motivation for MorphOS development". Firstly there's a difference between "biggest motivation" and just "motivation", and secondly there's probably a difference in intrinsic motivation between porting MorphOS to a desktop-worthy and mass-produced hardware like PPC Macs and porting it to something like the 128 MiB RAM Efika 5200B or the 2000+ EUR X1000, where some kind of additional motivation (read: payment) may be needed to start the porting.


    Here is how I see it: They don't want to support the "X1000" because it's related to people they consider Evil (for very good reasons) as well as competitors. The talk about that it won't make sense business wise to support the X1000 (yes, there are several posts in this thread discussing this issue, you are blind if you miss them) is kind of moot, when *MorphOS itself* doesn't make sense business wise, and the biggest motivator for development and porting it to new computers is obviously *something else* than money (even if money of course plays a part).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.10.10 - 07:49
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2714 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:


    Andreas_Wolf wrote:

    > Let the MorphOS Team speak for themselves regarding future ports of their OS!

    But as you said such could be lies because that's nothing they want the public to know about ;-)


    Oh, I'm quite certain that when/if the MorphOS Team themselves announces either finished or planned support for a different architecture than PPC, it won't be a lie!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.10.10 - 07:55
    Profile