• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Fab and CISC simply replied to posters who criticized the mere concept of the
    > MorphOS Team asking to be paid to support a particular hardware platform.
    > Any insinuations are simply misinterpretations, I am afraid.

I don't think so. Both quotes "What you call a ridiculous price is probably comparable to what Genesi was asked for the efika port" and "We need an additional incentive to support the hardware [...]. Genesi obviously agreed and that's why the Efika is supported (it would never have been otherwise [...]), if ACube doesn't that really isn't our problem" speak a very clear language.

> Of course, in case you are arguing that MorphOS would be ported to pretty
    > much any hardware as soon as someone is willing to pay X millions of
    > dollars / Euros for it, then you are entirely correct.

Let's go back and see again what claim of mine you called incorrect:

"It's no secret that the MorphOS Team would port MorphOS to the Sam440 if ACube paid for it"

As you can see I didn't mention any specific sum nor any range, which, according to what you say now, renders my claim very much correct.

> I have assumed that the discussion is about realistic, not fantasy scenarios

It was not me but your colleague Fab who, regarding a port to ACube's hardware, hinted at a sum "probably comparable to what Genesi was asked for the efika port". As far as I can tell, the MorphOS port to Efika is for real, whereas a port to ACube's hardware is fantasy.

> I listed several conditions that were met when the Efika port was considered
    > (but not when ACube inquired about SAM).

Okay, so that's been a misunderstanding obviously. I had thought we were talking about alleged "negotiations" with ACube at that point of the discussion.

> the price - performance ratio is a showstopper irregardless of whether
    > it includes the cost of an extra OS license or not.

You are underthinking what I wrote ;-) I was not talking about the fact that a compulsively bundled OS4 makes the package more expensive for the buyer but about the fact that this would result in avoidable income for Hyperion ;-)
  • »11.10.10 - 13:20