• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Amiga Inc. (Delaware)'s registration for the "Amiga" mark in the United States includes the following use:

"IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Providing on-line forums for transmission of messages among computer users concerning computers and computer technology"

There are various similar uses listed as well.

If a US-based company such as Genesi was to buy an online forum with a domain such as amiga.org, there is a high probability that they would face legal trouble in the future.

In all fairness it should be mentioned that owners of registered marks and trademarks can actually lose their special protection rights if they do not actively protect them. (This is a key difference between registered marks and patents, for instance.)

Wayne Hunt, the current owner of Amiga.org is U.S. based and has had no threats, or requests to cease and desist from Amiga Inc. as far as I have heard. That is not to say that it could not happen in the future, but why should it change now if Amiga Inc. has not bothered for the last 15 years?

Regarding the other posts which mention the possibility of BBRV purchasing A.org, I don't know all the history between Wayne and BBRV, but from the few brief comments Wayne has made, I am sure he would refuse to sell to them at any price. But I could be wrong, as money in sufficient quantities cures many ills and forgives many past wrongs.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.08.09 - 19:34