• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    @amigadave

You make good points. I wish something would happen...soon. I fear that any window of opportunity as already passed for any Amiga like OS. How many, long, long, long years now have MorphOS users been hearing and waiting for the ISA shift? I hear a lot about Arm really being the up and coming platform. I truly hope that MorphOS devs will port it sooner rather than later. We already have Arm laptops and even more coming. Soon there should also be Arm desktops. It would be a sin to just rollover and let MS take it over without any alternative for anyone else. They already stole the x86.

Arm already has Android, iOS, AROS, Linux in dozens of flavors, and I'm guessing other Unix variants. I believe a few of those choices already have an equal standing on Arm as MS, or even a greater market share than MS (certainly if you count cell phone devices), so I don't see MS taking over the Arm computing market like they did with Windows on x86, but it will depend on what applications and programs are made available on each OS. This is where MS might gain more market share, if developers think it is easier to code for MS on Arm, than the other major OS choices. AROS, MorphOS, AmigaOS will never be a major player on any architecture, unless a bolt of lightning strikes one of our leading developers and he/she invents the next paradigm of computing, and only writes an Amiga-Like OS for it first, and it is so ground breaking and appealing to programmers, that they leave all other OSes behind in favor of switching to this new paradigm shift. (In other words, it's not going to happen)

As for the MorphOS Dev. Team, I believe that they are well along toward the port to x64, and their work will be amazing. I worry a little that it will take too much time to get great software that runs on MorphOS for x64, if they do not create it with a easy way to port software from other platforms, like Linux, to MorphOS for x64, but they are smart guys and I have confidence in them knowing what to do. I don't mind the silence so much, as they have always been this way, and it seems to have served them well. We all know that devs talking about their work in progress, and then not being able to deliver, can have disastrous results on forum sites, specially with some of the more rabid Amiga users posting complaints.

Regarding porting MorphOS to Arm, I'm all for it, but the team decided to port to x64 first, and I don't disagree with their decision. They opted for the more powerful choice at this point in time, which is probably the wise choice. I hope that later, they can easily port MorphOS for x64 to Arm, after the x64 port is completed and bug fixed.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.09.19 - 03:35