• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Not to disparage Belgians, Mark's one of my favor programmers [...] on the planet.

He is Danish. Belgium and Denmark do not even have a common border.

Really, my mistake then, since Mark at one point mentioned his country of origin. I think he mentioned it due to my mistaken belief that he was of German origin. I stand corrected. Of course, he's a South African now.

OS4.2? Yeah, they'll probably use that number, but I doubt the feature list will be as extensive as previously claimed.

OS5? Who knows. The future of anything Amiga related is so unpredictable.

Mike might even win his lawsuit.

We might even see some development with the Power version of MorphOS after the X64 version is released.
    Again, who knows.

I sure don't. I try to keep questions and inquiries to a minimum. Over the last few years I've come to enjoy these 'Surprise! We're introducing this moments.

As to the 68K market in general, you guys always were a little standoffish.
    That Tut image looked great. But it was hard to sell a multi-media system to a 68K user that just wanted to run multiple terminals with text programs.

As I was using VGA during the period you all were using AGA, and we were using a more secure micro kernel OS, I have to admit that I mainly regarded the Amiga and the Atari ST as machine geared to gamers that could also be used for general computing.
    It wasn't the Amiga that influenced me to encourage my boss to adopt a GUI, it was a Windows 3.0 beta from IBM.

And as I've said, I was never that impressed with MOS.

But the Amiga does feature my favorite ISA of all time.
    And it obviously influenced the X86 MPC initiative (which Tandy and other PC producers embraced).

One thing that we all do have in common. We got our asses handed to us, but a late comer to multi-media that eventually gained a larger market share.

I still feel a little sore every time I use an X64 system, but then they have steadily improved.

Thanks for the correction. I wouldn't want to offend Mark by making a statement that was that incorrect.
    I'm really fond of the guy (as well as the other developers I've communicated with).
    All good people, but Mark is kind of a hero of mine.

He's done a lot of heavy lifting over the last few years (not to disparage the contributions of everyone else).

Maybe I should explore Cloanto's background a little more, but right now I'm just judging the likely outcomes based on the existing legal documentation and trying to remain objective.

There seems to be a lot of overwrought sentiment being posted here. Many of you still holding some fairly old statements about the legality of MorphOS, that he hasn't repeated in years.
    He's also never challenged us.

And ask yourself. Do you really think Ralph and Frank didn't see OS3.1 source code before MorphOS was created?
    Sure, the framework of the 3.1 API is fully documented, and MorphOS contains no OS3.1 code.
    But by current standards, it wasn't exactly a clean environment.

What I, as a more generalized hobbyist am baffled by is how this situation has remained so litigious 35 years after the OS was released.

It's like Microsoft pursuing people still using MS-DOS or Windows 3.1.
    Although I'll admit I have thought about buying a copy of ArcaOS. ;-)

Sorry, I'm rambling.
    My main point, stated much earlier on, is I never want to offend Mark (or Frank or Michal).
    Graphics hardware has always held a special place in my attention.
    Going right back to the little bit if code I wrote for the ET4000, to the first accelerated cards (which were pretty unimpressive), to today's powerhouse designs.

To all, take care.
    Post what you will.
    I'll try to minimize posting my opinions, if not STFU myself.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.06.19 - 02:23