• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> So now you suddenly don't think any longer that Reggae needs to be
    >> replaced or radically changed if it cannot be enhanced for the time being?

> Not if it diverts resources from other more important priorities.

Fair enough. It just seems to me that in your opinion there must be something conceptionally bad with Reggae as I cannot believe your proposal of having it replaced came out of nowhere.

> I believe we could start MorphOS NG development on PCIe based PPC systems
    > like the late 2005 PowerMac G5s.

You mean they haven't started yet? ;-)

We all know work has been done. Heck, most of the work for our current PPC systems is done on X64 hardware to reduce compile times.
    And Geit know a lot more than he is telling (and as I've said before, I don't ask Mark about things that ought to be left private).

Why do you guys think I want us to pool together and buy Mark a better motherboard and processor?
    With a 16 core 32 thread Rzyen2 his compile times would be a fraction of what they were on his old FM2+ based system.
    Remember, less time to compile means faster results, quicker testing, more productivity.

OK, my guess, there is probably a straight X86 port of MorphOS PPC in the developers hands.
    No doubt there is ongoing discussion about what needs to e enhanced and how.

And a lot of the developers you don't hear from that often are still active.
    I exchanged messages with Ralph a couple of years ago on a registration issue, finding out that he was still fielding those questions.
    Reassuring as Quark will probably need some tweaking.

And suggestions...keep posting them.
    You never know what might show up in a future release.

I asked for the ability to use PC video cards, because my company used to hard code drivers for ET4000 based video cards, bypassing the bios, so that we could use them on our 68K based system. But that limited us to cards that all mapped I/O to the same addresses (luckily most did).
    Mark surpassed that with the X1950Pro AGP card I sent him (which he used on his G5), and used AMD's built-in Atom bios to access PC Radeon card features.
    And since then, well, we can use any card we have a driver for that supports Atom bios.
    The guy is amazing (and a good friend, a good man actually, I have the utmost respect for him).

I have no doubt that Pega-1 (or what is that new name Frank has been using?), Bigfoot, and Keiro have been in communication.

Mark has done some massive work in the last two years, and this is in his spare time, while he's still working hard at his full time job often jetting between Europe and South Africa.
    When we ask him for his spare time consider this, he already works hard (as do all of our developers), AND it take time away from his family.
    And Mark's relation there is one of the things that I've always admired about him.
    Not many men move to another hemisphere out of love.

We've all asked for SMP, memory protection, and other features (better video card support, improved OpenGL support, etc).

Here's one from me. Expand Ambient into something similar to a hypervisor that can composite windows from multiple boxes/VMs/OS'.

Imagine being able to display Linux processes, MorphOS windows, Windows displays, and other processes all tiled, overlapped or whatever all on the same screen.
    It could be done.
    And it would freak out the OS4 and AROS community.

The thing most of you are forgetting (since you've spent SO much time focused on Abox) is that MorphOS is the only NG OS that has the potential to grow into a real viable, modern commercial product.
    We don't have to completely divorce ourselves from the Amiga.
    But what's the term in Linux? Depreciate?

Yeah, something like that.
    We need to focus on MorphOS.

Because the sideshow circus that Amiga has degenerated into, if we are associated with it, will make us look like mentally deficient retards, instead of what we are.
    The last remnants of the more competent part of the community.

No offense to other out there.
    There are some good OS4 programmers.
    Han de Ruiter comes to mind.

They're just working on the wrong OS.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »22.05.19 - 16:42