• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I guess we can agree that Vampire is a nice and powerful hardware ( I consider to get one myself). But we can also agree that Vampire targets rather the retro market. I mean it's pretty powerful and brings Amiga 68k to quite some cpu power.
    But i guess we can distinguish between two main user profiles. Those who use their machine for rather the retro stuff (games, productoiviity) and those who like to do their dailly tasks with the computer (browsing, media, productivity).
    For the latter some serious cpu power is needed. And as much as I am surprised how well MorphOS generally runs on my Efika, I must say that my high clocked G4s (1.5 and 1.67GHz) are only providing just the lower limit for convenient browsing or media usage.
    The question is which direction should MorphOS focus on: retro or contemorary. For _me_ contemporary is the more interesting approach (albeit I also like the retro approach, too) and my feeling is/was that MorphOS was primarily heading that direction. My dream is MorphOS x64 (powerful generic hardware), but as a stop gap after PowerMac but before x64 I could imagine a Power9 system (i.e. Blackbird or maybe Talos II) could provide a solution. MorphOS way faster than today. And for the retro part UAE on such a system will leave Vampire somewhere remote in the dust.

For Vampire I hope that AROS 68k will get a home there and support for AROS 68k will increase, but I doubt it would make a viable target hardware for MorphOS (albeit I understand the sexiness of a hypothetical 68k MorphOS).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.11.18 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website