• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Unresolved problems with the PCI and memory controller chip. Also known as "PPC is dead".

No, rather known as "Martin Schüler overestimated his skills when he decided to design his own northbridge chip instead of using a commercially available one". According to Alan Redhouse, the reason for this decision was one of economy (not of general availability or even reliability):

"In October 2000 when we laid out the design for the A1, there was no commercially available 'northbridge' chip [...] at the relatively small quantities that we needed at an economic price."
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amigaone/conversations/messages/11679

As you said yourself, the Teron-based AmigaOne came out significantly more expensive than the Escena AmigaOne was planned to be. So in hindsight, Escena could as well have designed their AmigaOne around a commercially available and reliable (but expensive in small quantities) northbridge chip instead and arrived at a more reliable but probably still cheaper (or equally expensive) board than the Teron was.

>>> Phase5 ran a business making accelerators for Macs. Nobody else did.

>> This claim is laughable. Phase 5 were one of at least about 15 companies
    >> doing so, and by far not the first one at that.

> For both Amigas and PPC Macs? Nope.

Indeed, I can agree with this corrected statement.

>>> The SoC route at least potentially helped with the alleged lack of
    >>> reliable support chipsets ;-)

> But reducing the power and effectiveness far beneath what a desktop
    > would require, and hence making them unsuitable for an Amiga role.

Amiga was never about high CPU performance :-)

> I'm beginning to think your objections are simply for the sake of objecting.

No, I just despise attempts at rewriting history.
  • »15.08.18 - 19:54