• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Let me quote from the actual statement:

"Hyperion [...] reaffirms unequivocally that [...] it has the worldwide exclusive right to distribute and sublicense AmigaOS on a standalone basis or bundled with hardware (OEM license), either on a physical medium (such as a ROM or DVD) or electronically (digital download)."

For the sake of completeness, it might be worth pointing out a rather significant ommission in the quoted statement. There is no claim that Hyperion Entertainment has any supposed exclusive rights to distribute AmigaOS as part of software bundles. It strictly refers to hardware bundles or standalone versions only.

Examples of software bundles would be the various Amiga Forever editions that have been sold for years and contain versions of AmigaOS. Furthermore, if the forementioned statement regarding exclusive rights were to be accurate, any offering that combines AmigaOS with another virtual (non-hardware) element, which could be as simple as a "checkmark" wallpaper, would not be affected...

Thanks Andre,

I know that you always try to remain fair (as opposed to my hot-headed approach).
    That IS a very good point.
    And if proven correct, it negates Cloanto's right to distribute ROMs.

It also could be used as an argument excusing that messy situation of Hyperion's bundling of Workbench 1.3 with OS4.

And, hopefully, you all understand that I'm not an apologist for Ben Herman's (in a choice between him and the Bill Buck/Genesi/MorphOS side...I'd always favor team blue), BUT I'm trying not to let sentiment color my perceptions.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.01.18 - 19:52