Tabor
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It is possible that a more complete account of events will be offered
    > at AmiWest 2018.

From a month ago:

"- Designed and wrote an AmigaOS driver template, with its first implementation targeting writing Ethernet Drivers.
    - Wrote and released the native Ethernet driver for the AmigaONE A1222 (through Hyperion).
    - Implemented about 80% of a native DPAA Ethernet driver for the AmigaONE X5000 (working with Hyperion to enhance support for the X5000 and A1222 hardware and complete the DPAA driver).
    "
    http://bitbybitsoftwaregroup.com
  • »19.11.18 - 19:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    :lol:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.12.18 - 14:46
    Kronos
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    Speaking of Tabor, it seems that they are finally removing SPE support from GCC(8) ...

git://gcc.gnu.org / gcc.git / commitdiff

Ah, thats what everybody at HAIPAHAIPA has been waiting for !!
  • »11.12.18 - 15:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

cyfm schrieb:
    Speaking of Tabor, it seems that they are finally removing SPE support from GCC(8) ...

It got deprecated in GCC 8, but is still included there. It got removed from 9.1.x now ( klick)

As this is a very important matter, Phoronix had also a news posting about it. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »11.12.18 - 21:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Phoronix had also a news posting about it. ;-)

It's just unsettling that they don't seem to know the e500 and its SPE have nothing to do with IBM and are pure Motorola/Freescale/NXP things.
  • »11.12.18 - 23:05
    ernsteiswuerfel
    While powerpcspe support got removed from gcc it meanwhile got added in llvm/clang (klick). But this does not matter much for Debian as they use gcc as system compiler.

To be happy again the Debian powerpcspe maintainer just needs to quit and start as powerpcspe FreeBSD maintainer, all is fine then. :-D
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »14.05.19 - 13:31
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    While powerpcspe support got removed from gcc it meanwhile got added in llvm/clang (klick). But this does not matter much for Debian as they use gcc as system compiler.

To be happy again the Debian powerpcspe maintainer just needs to quit and start as powerpcspe FreeBSD maintainer, all is fine then. :-D

FreeBSD on a P1022? I'd buy a cheap Zen2 based system first.

BTW - You have some really nice toys!
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.05.19 - 04:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > FreeBSD on a P1022? I'd buy a cheap Zen2 based system first.

Going by that logic, the loss of Debian support for P1022 is a non-issue as well :-)
  • »15.05.19 - 08:43
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Thanks! I actually play with these toys on a daily basis, one or the other. ;-)

Zen2 based != cheap.
    If you want cheap you should look for 2nd hand AMD FX 4x00/6x00 rigs. I got a board+CPU+RAM combo (FX 6300) for just 50 € for a friend. :-o Surely an improvement over his old Phenom II X4.

BTT - the P1022 really may have a better future on FreeBSD than on Debian:
    a.) FreeBSD runs on Big Endian PowerPC
    b.) llvm/clang is the system compiler since FreeBSD 10.0
    c.) powerpcspe is supported as target arch since llvm/clang 7.0.1
  • »15.05.19 - 11:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

I was trying to use FreeBSD few years before on powermac G5, but don't succeed to install desktop (some compiller errors). I am also using NetBSD on my old Pegasos2. Nice, stable, reliable.

If Tabor ever be relesed, I definitely buy one. For joy and support. And of course, I will install FreeBSD ;-)
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.05.19 - 13:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Thanks! I actually play with these toys on a daily basis, one or the other. ;-)

Zen2 based != cheap.
    If you want cheap you should look for 2nd hand AMD FX 4x00/6x00 rigs. I got a board+CPU+RAM combo (FX 6300) for just 50 € for a friend. :-o Surely an improvement over his old Phenom II X4.

Yes, I moved from a Phenom X4 that could be unlocked to an X6 then to an FX6300. Gtood stuff, and Zen still buries it.
    A cheap 4 core/8 thread Zen2 will be the bargain of the year.
    Higher core count cpus with be awesome.

So, would I want to run a PPC at 1/3rd the clock speed with 1/4 of the threads at a higher cost?
    Don't think so.
  • »18.05.19 - 02:24
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

sailor schrieb:
    I am also using NetBSD on my old Pegasos2. Nice, stable, reliable.

Ah yes, I shall definitely try NetBSD again when I have some time! Even had it running on my A4000/060 once. ;-) Was nice to see it running, but it was of course no speed king. I can imagine it performs defenctly on a G4 or faster PPCs.
  • »18.05.19 - 11:08
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    A cheap 4 core/8 thread Zen2 will be the bargain of the year. Higher core count cpus with be awesome.

So, would I want to run a PPC at 1/3rd the clock speed with 1/4 of the threads at a higher cost?
    Don't think so.

I think it's not about specifically buying some low-end/midrange PPC to run Linux/BSD on it. Altough some people still do it. ;-) This is more the domain of the ARM-SBCs nowadays.

It's more about all of us here already got some low-end/midrange PPC to run MorphPS/OS4 on. ;-) Why not try another OS on it? In my case it is really helpful that the PowerBook G4 can run both MorphOS and Linux since I got no other Laptop. You get additional software for free if you install Linux/BSD. It's not necessary for me to buy a 'proper' amd64 laptop just to run a Linux on it which my PB already does.

Zen2 sure has a good price/performance ratio, no doubt. But Zen only shines when using AVX2 optimizations. The high core count is good for nothing. It's only hyperhtreading, you will realize this when actually utilizing all cores. The Zen1 1700 I had was slower in some tasks compared to the Opteron 6380 I still have (both advertising 16 cores). Also it got this HT-Bug the 1st Zen generation had (AMD kindly replaced it with a newer model).
  • »18.05.19 - 11:30
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ernsteiswuerfel:

Yes, my PPC hardware is used for the same purpose.
    Buying a Tabor board for Linux or BSD use would just be stupid.

And from what I've seen on Zen2 optimizations, there is lot more than you are giving AMD credit for.

Although...I'm just glad to see the low watt draw lower end parts.
    My Phenom and FX cpus were way too hot.

And I'm finally ditching one old motherboard with an Athlon 64 X2 that I'm using as a media server, as a $100 Zen2 with a cheap motherboard will be several times more competant.
  • »18.05.19 - 23:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> The maintainer of Debian for powerpcspe would like to remove
    > the powerpcspe port in the near future: [...]

Done as of 5 days ago.
  • »30.05.19 - 21:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Update:

"The Limited Edition A1222 Plus Early Adopter boards are expected to ship around the end of the first quarter of 2020**. (**subject to change)
    For more information on A1222 Plus pre-registration options please visit www.a1222plus.com which will be live in the next few days.
    "
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMd8_tfVUAAIX79.jpg:orig

Why are they writing "Commodore" here? Parasite marketing? AFAIR Commodore *never* used the term "bundle" to merely sell a display box with merchandise and refurbished SW a quarter ahead of the real product might appear, "(** Subject to change)" of course, and then *not even granting* you a delivery of the real product if it ever appears, but rather a possibility to order one (paying extra) should it happen (on a first come first serve basis, which means no guarantees of actually getting one), or a 20% pre-payment scheme. I'm sorry, but the way I see it, this is not at all very "Commodore"-like, and not at all how the word "bundle" is normally used. It seems possible to purchase the "bundle" but *without even getting* the real product that the bundle is supposed to be merged with. Dodgy.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.12.19 - 00:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Commodore sell Amiga 1200 BUNDLE called Magic Box with Personal Paint and WordWorth.
    Yes it is Commodore tradition.
  • »24.12.19 - 09:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Update:

"The Limited Edition A1222 Plus Early Adopter boards are expected to ship around the end of the first quarter of 2020**. (**subject to change)
    For more information on A1222 Plus pre-registration options please visit www.a1222plus.com which will be live in the next few days.
    "
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMd8_tfVUAAIX79.jpg:orig

Why are they writing "Commodore" here? Parasite marketing? AFAIR Commodore *never* used the term "bundle" to merely sell a display box with merchandise and refurbished SW a quarter ahead of the real product might appear, "(** Subject to change)" of course, and then *not even granting* you a delivery of the real product if it ever appears, but rather a possibility to order one (paying extra) should it happen (on a first come first serve basis, which means no guarantees of actually getting one), or a 20% pre-payment scheme. I'm sorry, but the way I see it, this is not at all very "Commodore"-like, and not at all how the word "bundle" is normally used. It seems possible to purchase the "bundle" but *without even getting* the real product that the bundle is supposed to be merged with. Dodgy.

Perhaps they feel people are more amenable to associating recent activities with the name Commodore, as opposed to the name Amiga?
    otoh both are still fighting to secure trademarks, so they are both oddly similar in how they devote their time.
    On that front, in case you have any interest, I updated the C= situation in November:
    Source

• »24.12.19 - 12:42