• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    >...or spend next to nothing for a used PPC Mac ;-)

Well...my G5s have both cost me $30 and $50 respectively, and I did have to rebuild the cooling system ($5 for four o-rings and you only need two)...so its not nothing ;-), but it IS the best value I've ever had in computer hardware.

And I've got this 11,2 sitting here humming away running Linux, which it does almost as well as my X64 hardware, which makes the arguments against porting MorphOS to these systems doubly frustrating because its 'low hanging fruit' and it would leap frog us over A-eon's offerings in performance and price (the highest price I've seen for an 11,2, which was completely refurbished, was $300, so we are talking about half the price of a Tabor board alone).

In the case of the 11.2 G5 PowerMac Quad G5, I think it should have been supported instead of the X5000, but understand why some users prefer to buy new hardware. Myself, I like getting extended use from old things, because I so strongly dislike how most of our societies have become too wasteful, and throw away things that still work perfectly well, just because something a tiny bit better has come along. This is specially true in the computer world, where things improve at such a fast rate, and everyone wants to have the latest and greatest stuff. I guess this is partly why I am still an Amiga user, because I enjoy making it do things it was never designed to do, but make it continue to be useful.

Given that so little work seems to be needed to complete a version of MorphOS which could support the 11.2 G5, I will be surprised if we don't see a bounty to complete and release support for it some time in the near future. Specially since it will be able to take advantage of PCIe video cards which will already be supported in MorphOS3.10.

So, hang in there Jim. You have a good chance to get your wish granted "someday" in the future, but it might take a bounty to get it done. I probably won't get one, unless I see a quad G5 locally that is free, or almost free to pick up. If MorphOS suddenly (and unexpectedly) some day gets a version which can use more than one CPU for any task, then I might reconsider (it would need to be able to use more than 2 CPU cores to make it better than my current dual 2.7GHz G5). Either that, or if I decide that the better video card performance allowed by switching to a PCIe video card, makes it worth getting rid of my dual 2.7GHz G5, and switching to the quad G5.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.09.17 - 21:27