• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    As much as I like Hollywood it is probably not what Manfred actually meant. C#, Java or other mainstream modern languages with the according tools. Heck, on MorphOS it's not even a trivial thing to do a C++ MUI Hello world program for a noob as it's full of C heritage and setting up C++ with MUI is not quite comparable to e.g. starting a project in MS Visual Studio.
    MorphOS would need better support and more tutorials for up to date and rather mainstream programming. Krashans tutorials were a good first step, but I guess this would need a bit more. I think the team is working on a better development environment - let's wait and see, they probably know about it.
    In the meantime we can use Hollywood for this and that and while Hollywood is IMHO more powerful than many may think it is not the answer to all questions.

I was just wondering what Manfred thought about Hollywood, and if he had ever looked at it, or considered using it for any of his less demanding programming projects.

I have had a look at Hollywood. But only briefly. I probably should give it a try and program something.
    Generally I don't favour scripting languages for serious software development.
    Because due to the dynamic type nature they open up for a lot of potential problems that the compiler doesn't detect.
    So either you have a very good IDE or a very tight test coverage to detect those.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Since you are a current Hollywood user/programmer, perhaps you can answer the question regarding inserting code from other programming languages "into" a Hollywood program. I was quite sure that I had seen that as one of the advertised abilities for Hollywood, but Andreas pulled up an old quote, which he believes contradicts my opinion on the matter. Can parts of Hollywood programs include "C/C++" code?

I don't know if it can include C/C++ code.
    But this would be essential to access the Amiga hardware.
    They takle stuff like sound on a higher level, but probably not all the Amiga offers.
    But depending on the application that's not required.
    Things like HTTP client APIs and other useful stuff is there, so that's good.

I have heard that the binaries are a bit bloated.
    The only app I use that I know is Hollywood is AmiCloud. This app unfortunately doesn't have the look of a native app.
    But that's probably because RapaGUI wasn't there yet at the time when AmiCloud was developed and needed to have an app that runs on multiple platforms.

Manfred
  • »26.08.17 - 06:48