• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    What I find really depressing on any of the Amiga Systems is the lack of modern programming languages and development environments.
    Really, for how much longer do we have to fiddle with Makefiles etc. and use C/C++. I accept this for driver development, but not for application development.
    In FreePascal I found something acceptable. But the core language is still stone old and requires a ton of boilerplate code and it is not type safe, etc.

I don't see how it should be possible to attract new developers if this is the case, except for people who explicitly want to fiddle with the classic stuff.

Manfred

What do you think of Hollywood programming language? I know it is basically a scripting language, and therefore limited in many ways, but from what my non-programmer mind can tell me, Hollywood allows other programming languages to be inserted within the Hollywood code, and the development of "Plug-in's" makes Hollywood very flexible, and more powerful and easy to use than many/most other scripting languages.

I have been so busy with "real life" issues the past several years, I have not yet been able to devote the amount of time I need/want to learn how to use Hollywood proficiently, but still hope to do so in the very near future. The number and quality of plug-ins for Hollywood appears to be very impressive, and I imagine that we will soon have more and more software developed using Hollywood. The semi-recent addition of GL-Galore (I think that is what it is called), makes Hollywood much more powerful on weak Amiga, and Amiga-NG systems, by allowing the GPU to do a lot of the work that our systems usually require the CPU to do, which should make Hollywood software that takes advantage of GL-Galore much faster, and allow some Hollywood programs, that might not have been possible, or which only performed very poorly in the past, to be written now.

I know that it would be great if MorphOS (and all other Amiga and Amiga inspired platforms), had a fully implemented Java programming language, as well as C# and some of the other currently popular programming languages and tools, but until that happens, maybe Hollywood can give us some new software that performs reasonably well.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.08.17 - 17:55