Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Sorry to say that, but the future of amiga lies in the Vampire and FPGA not MorphOS or OS4. It'll be the new NextGen. The sales numbers are speaking for themselves.

I agree with everything but that one line. The original Workbench (3.x and older), blows. Its not an OS that is usable on the web with whatever apps we currently have. Vampire is basically a system that can replace our current aging Amiga's with something that can take over via emulation. I still think there is a place for MorphOS, the other one, I'm not sure. I still think the Vampire is a glorified UAE on real hardware. Will I buy it? Heck yea, why not, but realistically, to replace real hardware and emulate 68k systems. I'll sell what I have on ebay for max $$$$ :-)

I dont know where MorphOS goes from here to the future. PPC is cool, it did what we wanted and got us from old Amiga hardware to something newer and much more powerful. Theres a next step somewhere, maybe x86, who knows. What will happen to MorphOS? Will it go the way of Haiku and just be a novelty? Will current devs be interested 10-15 years from now or will it end up having a "final" version and remain closed source for the rest of its life?

MorphOS won't be any better than this regarding community and software support. In that matter it is almost dead, to tell the truth.
    [...]

What I find really depressing on any of the Amiga Systems is the lack of modern programming languages and development environments.
    Really, for how much longer do we have to fiddle with Makefiles etc. and use C/C++. I accept this for driver development, but not for application development.
    In FreePascal I found something acceptable. But the core language is still stone old and requires a ton of boilerplate code and it is not type safe, etc.

I don't see how it should be possible to attract new developers if this is the case, except for people who explicitly want to fiddle with the classic stuff.

Manfred
  • »23.08.17 - 10:43