Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    First, as a sidenote, I think it's amusing to see the difference between the European views and some American views. I.e. in most of Europe we have the idea that ultimately it's a societys responsibility to protect the weak, cure the sick, etc. Or like the topic here, consumer protection (for legal guarantee is about consumer protection). While some people across the waters look at these things as "oppressive regulations".
    :-?

You are forgetting that the few guys coding the Apollo core, and the 2 or 3 others who were responsible for designing and soldering the boards, are NOT a "company selling to consumers", they are more like "hobbyists, selling to other hobbyists". The consumer protection laws being discussed in this thread can be very oppressive for hobbyists, and one or two man groups who are inventing new hardware. I don't think this point of view is any different from an American, than it is from at least some Europeans.

There's no such thing as hobbyists selling stuff to other hobbyists in the EU. The only exception is selling used stuff at flea market. All other sales must be cone with a registered business and then all these CE, RoHS, WEEE, warranty things apply from sale #1 on. Europe is not particularly founder friendly.

There is no way in hell that someone selling 4,000 units x €300 EUR = a turnover of €1,200,000 EUR can get away by calling their business "a hobby". That's most certainly a lot more money than AeonKit collected from all their X1000 sales in total. At that kind of money, without a registered business with annual reports, filing VAT reports and paying other taxes, you are probably facing a considerable amount of time in prison. And *of course* the products (targeted for consumers) should be safe, follow the regulations and have all the approvings and certificates, and have full guarantee as required by law. At €1,200,000 there are no moral excuses to slip on this.

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 28.07.2017 - 07:54 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.07.17 - 00:06