• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    It's also pathetic that after 30 years+ kickstart 1.3 isn't avaiable for free to everyone and that they are still trying to sell floppies... 68k kickstart should be available for free for non commercial use. Releasing old 1.x sources would be a great way to preserve the OS too.

Why? And why are there so many Amiga users who feel like they are entitled to free code, just because it is old, or free updates to code that is old, or other free stuff, or that the OS should be Open Source? I personally would like to see AmigaOS1.0 to 3.1 as Open Source, so the remaining 68k community could have a go at improving it further, but I completely understand why the owner(s) of any IP want to continue to sell what they own and paid money to obtain, specially, if they haven't even recovered the purchase price they paid to obtain it yet (such as might be the case with Colanto).

I don't believe Hyperion owns anything, other than the right to use AmigaOS1.0 to 3.1, and MAYBE the right to sell copies of it (but I sort of doubt this, and think that Hyperion is selling 1.0 to 3.1 illegally).

If there is still value in using AmigaOS1.3 and 3.1 (which I think there still is), then why shouldn't Colanto continue selling it? If sold at a reasonable price, I don't mind paying for it at all, even though I could probably easily create my own back up copies. It is nice to be able to purchase new floppy disks of AmigaOS1.3 and 3.1, or 3.x, with the small improvements Colanto has paid some programmers to update 3.1 with.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.08.17 - 01:02