• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

I don't remember AmigaOS 3.9 ever been declared illegal by Bill McEwen. What I remember is H&P's "AmigaOS XL" package (containing Amithlon, "AmigaXL for QNX" and AmigaOS 3.9) being declared illegal by Amiga Inc. for non-paid OS3.9 royalties.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the AmigaOS XL package was just insult to injury and the alleged lack of royalties date back further to OS3.9 itself. The memory is getting a little fuzzy here, but didn't even Bill Buck buy a stack of OS3.9 CDs that he was originally going to distribute with Pegasos I / MorphOS 1.3 to fill in the gaps? Didn't he ultimately not do this because of OS3.9's legal status?

Quote:

The unlicensed software component in 3.9 was AmiTCP, not its GUI Genesis.

Splitting hairs? :-p

Quote:

Amiga Inc. or Bill McEwen didn't ever seem to object that.

I didn't imply such, it was mentioned as a side note (make things even more unsavory).
    Quote:

the fact that Hyperion of all parties (basing AmigaOS 4.x on AmigaOS 3.1) mentions AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 as regular AmigaOS releases on their websites speaks volumes

And yet they claim this is the first updates in over twenty years in their PR. 20 years puts us 3 years before OS3.5. I know you will try splitting hairs stating first OS3.1 update in 20 years, but don't go there. You know better ;-)
    Quote:

And several dealers still offering the allegedly "illegal pirate" AmigaOS 3.9 for sale only adds to that fact.

And? They have old stock and they haven't received a C&D, i can't blame them there. Now if H&P were still producing 3.9 and dealers were still buying new stock and reselling it today, it would be seen bad.

[ Edited by redrumloa 14.10.2016 - 15:46 ]
  • »14.10.16 - 18:45