Discussion of the Tabor / A1222 mainboard
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > even I can't deny it's excellence.

If the original posting was excellent, I don't even know a word that can do justice to the refined one :-)
  • »14.11.15 - 13:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Even after watching I'm still not sure whether or not this is going to be an
    >> official A-Eon product.

> It is.

Press release (4 weeks late):

http://www.a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_ALICE.pdf

I still don't get it. Why is this a product and who will buy it?
  • »14.11.15 - 14:06
    Kronos
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

I still don't get it. Why is this a product ....

Cos enough stupid has been added.

Quote:

and who will buy it?

The faith runs low with this one.
  • »14.11.15 - 14:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I would want one if the cost is resonable and it can boot up in a USB stick.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »14.11.15 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

I still don't get it. Why is this a product and who will buy it?

Me either.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »14.11.15 - 16:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Even after watching I'm still not sure whether or not this is going to be an
    >> official A-Eon product.

> It is.

Press release (4 weeks late):

http://www.a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_ALICE.pdf

Will be interesting to see how the faithful justify how this thing is "a real Amiga" but Amithlon wasn't.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »14.11.15 - 19:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

Will be interesting to see how the faithful justify how this thing is "a real Amiga" but Amithlon wasn't.

By having a seal of approvement from a third party developer that isn't CUSA?

My MorphOS blog
  • »14.11.15 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Quote:

By having a seal of approvement from a third party developer that isn't CUSA?

CUSA had nothing to do with Amithlon, they came a decade later.

Amithlon was an officially sanctioned Amiga Inc product (at one point).
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »14.11.15 - 22:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I meant that they got a seal of approvement from A-Eon and is therefore an Amiga. A seal of approvement from CUSA (also a third party developer) isn't worth anything. Just like an PPC Apple machine can't be an Amiga while the PC:esque X5000 can.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.11.15 - 07:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I meant that they got a seal of approvement from A-Eon and is therefore an Amiga. A seal of approvement from CUSA (also a third party developer) isn't worth anything. Just like an PPC Apple machine can't be an Amiga while the PC:esque X5000 can.

A-Eon is not "official" in any way and at best they could (perhaps) use the AmigaOne trade mark (hence not Amiga) if Hyperion allows this. But AFAIK they don't, there is at least nothing in the press release suggesting it. They call it "ALICE." The official name of the OS owned by Cloanto that ALICE is using, is "Workbench".

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.11.15 - 08:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

I see your point, it's just bizzare that for a group of people so obsessed with products bearing "the name" to be considered kosher yet a product officially blessed by the rightful owner of "the name" was dismissed as being not worthy and this pale imitation of Amithlon is completely OK.

• »15.11.15 - 17:01
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Since by 'real' we really mean 'used with permission from the trademark holder', yes its weird.
    Anyone want a Commodore cell phone?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.11.15 - 17:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Since by 'real' we really mean 'used with permission from the trademark holder', yes its weird.
    Anyone want a Commodore cell phone?

This Alice thing doesn't use "the name" because it doesn't have permission. Won't stop the nutjobs insisting it is "real" though.

• »15.11.15 - 18:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a product officially blessed by the rightful owner of "the name" was dismissed
    > as being not worthy

That was because another official product was announced 4 months earlier by the rightful owner of "the name", which was spoiling expectations.
  • »15.11.15 - 20:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > a product officially blessed by the rightful owner of "the name" was dismissed
    > as being not worthy

That was because another official product was announced 4 months earlier by the rightful owner of "the name", which was spoiling expectations.

Of course, and they've shown time and time again they have no problem shifting their allegiances to whatever messiah is flavour of the month.

Currently it's A-Aeon. For now.

• »15.11.15 - 22:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they've shown time and time again they have no problem shifting their allegiances
    > to whatever messiah is flavour of the month.

Wouldn't that indicate there's no allegiance? I can't see anything bad in this.
    Besides, doesn't the fact they didn't switch to Amithlon mean that they didn't shift their allegiance?
  • »15.11.15 - 22:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > they've shown time and time again they have no problem shifting their allegiances
    > to whatever messiah is flavour of the month.

Wouldn't that indicate there's no allegiance?

Yep, thats my point.

Quote:

I can't see anything bad in this.
    Besides, doesn't the fact they didn't switch to Amithlon mean that they didn't shift their allegiance?

Amiga Inc, godlike saviours at first, then they got restless and elevated Hyperion as replacement. Many are getting restless again and hoping that A-Eon will get the IP from Hyperion.

They can do what they like, no skin off my nose, I just find the regular hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance from the faithful flock amusing. :)

• »15.11.15 - 23:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with A-Eon promoting and selling the A.L.I.C.E. laptops. For Amiga users who no longer want to keep an original Commodore Amiga computer, emulation is a perfectly valid experience, since UAE has become so well supported, and the hardware it now runs on is so fast, it makes the emulation very good.

I don't care what anyone chooses to call "real", or not. That kind of petty argument got old many years ago, so I just ignore those who choose to argue about what they think others should think is "Real", or unworthy of the "Real" status.

I purchased the AmiKit USB stick that I believe has the workings of the A.L.I.C.E. laptop on it, but have not yet had time to install and test it out on any of my systems, because I want to put it on a separate hard drive, and have not decided which one to put it on, or which computer to try it with.

If I will be able to run AmigaOS3.9 and seamlessly and invisibly then run Linux and/or Windows applications and games from the AmigaOS3.9 Workbench desktop, I will be a happy customer. It sounds like something similar to AEROS, being an AmigaOS hosted on top of Linux, with the Linux parts hidden as much as possible. Since I have not yet used it, and only very briefly glanced at the A.L.I.C.E. laptops at the 2015 AmiWest Show, my assumptions of what it is may be incorrect.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.11.15 - 00:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Wouldn't that indicate there's no allegiance?

> Yep, thats my point.

Okay, so all is well then. After all, allegiance to one's family, friends or even employer makes sense, but not to a vendor of computing products.

> Amiga Inc, godlike saviours at first, then they got restless and elevated Hyperion
    > as replacement.

Yes, and the Amithlon episode started in between. The reason it was easy for them to switch from Amiga Inc. to Hyperion, but not to Amithlon, was that both Amiga Inc. and Hyperion's announcements were, from a user's perspective, essentially about the same product. Completely reasonable in my opinion.
  • »16.11.15 - 10:56
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cha05e90
    Quote:

Intuition schrieb:
    They can do what they like, no skin off my nose, I just find the regular hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance from the faithful flock amusing. :)

...and I find it interesting that here at MorphZone there's a thread with > 200 posts stating "it's stupid", "I find the faithful amusing" etc. pp. whereas the topic should be more or less irrelevant for "The Brave, Bold and Rational Name Agnostics". :-)
    II/G4
  • »25.11.15 - 15:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
    ...and I find it interesting that here at MorphZone there's a thread with > 200 posts stating "it's stupid", "I find the faithful amusing" etc. pp. whereas the topic should be more or less irrelevant for "The Brave, Bold and Rational Name Agnostics". :-)

The top two posters in this thread contributed 100 posts by themselves, and almost two thirds of all posts were submitted by a mere 5 posters. I think it is fair to say that this discussion was kept alive by a tiny minority of community members.
  • »25.11.15 - 16:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition schrieb:

Glad to be of service.

• »25.11.15 - 18:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
    No official price for Tabor has been announced.
    Figure quoted is not correct.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopThat'sic&topic_id=40622&forum=2&start=300&viewmode=flat&order=0#770615

That is an interesting comment. Why did we have reports out of the show saying it would be in the 700-1,000Euro range. I doubt these person(s) would just lie. Could be mistaken or could be some backtracking. Who knows, but sure follows a specific tradition in the Kommunity.

Anyhow, if the board ends up for sale at a significant discount to the Sam460cr it would make a little more sense.

It looks like the 700-1,000 Euro range is indeed correct for a full system after all. Apparently Trevor just stated on the livestream that the Tabor board alone will be 400Euro. A full system would indeed be north of 700Euro then.

That's one expensive 'Turd sandwich' then! :smh:
  • »08.10.16 - 21:02