Discussion of the Tabor / A1222 mainboard
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    These guys are no match for the logic and nearly perfect recall (plus great search and link capabilities) of AW!
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.11.15 - 01:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    whats wrong with you guys? its ok to insult the work of other people and be arrogant but as soon as someone's getting back to you you're all sensitive. i never said its wrong to criticize and talk about mistakes and wrong decisions. i just dont like the attitude and arrogance of how they do it.

Point out where I "insulted" someone at A-Eonkit in this thread. You are imagining things. "Arrogance" is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:

and morphos will never ever cut its ties to its amiga legacy. everything in morphos is amiga inspired and just by breaking the compatibility you wont shift into a totally different system which has nothing to do with Amiga. just by stating that morphos will have nothing to do with amiga Community anymore proves how disillusioned you are. do you have any grief or Trouble with the amiga and the community? morphos is the most Amiga-ish OS in my opinion! maybe you should switch to linux if getting away from Amiga and its community is that important to you. lol

MorphOS will certainly break ties with it's Amiga legacy IMO, as it should. There are 3 NG solutions out there all heading in different directions. Ever since the very first OS4 release, the last NG solution out of the gate, they have been diverging. AROS and MorphOS had some similarities, but HYPErion decided to go in another direction entirely. Now that MorphOS has matured on the PPC, there is really nowhere else to go. PPC is a dead end. When MorphOS was conceived, legacy support was a good idea. Today it is huge boat anchor whose chain needs cut.

OS4 will seemingly continue on PPC until the last router grade (Haynie's term, not mine) cpu is made, clinging to what compatibility it can to OS3.X all along. MorphOS will change ISA (hopefully X86-64) throwing all compatibility and many legacy concepts out the window. When MorphOS-NG arrives it will likely have very little resemblance to MorphOS of today. I wouldn't be surprised to see the overlap of discussions between the NG solutions taper away to almost nothing rather quickly.
  • »04.11.15 - 01:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    Amiga OS for x86 should be source compatybile, well tested, open source boopsi,MUI,datatypes reimplementation over unix kernel.
    As long as something like that not exist there is no reasons to "swith" to x86.
    Attacks on powerpc, companies like a-eon has no sense at all.

MorphOS is not AmigaOS and never pretended to be. The MorphOS Team has no plan to try something as you suggest at all. You may find something like that from an AROS branch.

I hope this helps.
  • »04.11.15 - 01:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > OS4 will seemingly continue on PPC until the last router grade (Haynie's term, not mine)
    > cpu is made

There's still IBM POWER after that ;-)

And regarding Haynie:

"P5020 or other P5 series chip [...] are decent enough to say you have modern application processing performance [...]."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33564&forum=25&start=280#610666

This was in 2011, though.
  • »04.11.15 - 01:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    And regarding Haynie:

"P5020 or other P5 series chip [...] are decent enough to say you have modern application processing performance [...]."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33564&forum=25&start=280#610666

This was in 2011, though.

Thanks, I don't specifically remember that. So Haynie thought the CPU that ended up being chosen for the X5000 was fine in 2011. I wonder what his thoughts would be on them 5 years later when the X5000 is released.

AW do you have any links for benchmarks of the P5 series chips compared to G5? I understand non are probably out yet for the X5000, but other sources?

[ Edited by redrumloa 04.11.2015 - 08:41 ]
  • »04.11.15 - 13:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > AW do you have any links for benchmarks of the P5 series chips compared to G5?

Unfortunately none apart from the artificial Dhrystone ones.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7001&start=743

> I understand non are probably out yet for the X5000, but other sources?

As there're MorphOS developers and betatesters with X5000 at hand, I would expect them to publish MorphOS-centric benchmark figures anytime soon :-)
  • »04.11.15 - 14:19
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

Sorry dude, but you can count with both of your hands the active users in this forum. This is probably the only serious community site about morphos and theres not even one person to fix all the bugs here.

If you bother to report a bug in the appropriate forum, you can rest assured that it will be looked into.
  • »04.11.15 - 15:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    These guys are no match for the logic and nearly perfect recall (plus great search and link capabilities) of AW!

Amiga OS 4 / Morphos are interesting because

1. they run on something which is not a pc

2. they have integration with old 68k software

3. they have mui

mui in current state is litte behind 20 years old MFC from MSVC 4.0.

and without ppc hardware Amiga OS 4 / Morphos are not worth of use.

Morphos is little better than MS Windows 20 years ago, only beacuse NT 4.0 was released 19 years ago;)
  • »04.11.15 - 17:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    well there you have it. nobody said that we should become sheep. it seems as you only know living and thinking in extremes. The board is not the best there is, thats true but you got the answer for yourself. the other CPU was not available at that time, so they probably chose the best alternative for the tabor.

And no, we do NOT have more NEW hardware configurations to chose from. The only new hardware available is the Sam460. The OS4 guys have the Sam440, 460 and X1000 and they're still getting more and more hardware with the X5000 and Tabor. Thats a luxury in such a small market and i do think that its more then fair to honour the people realizing that. WE have OLD and USED Mac Systems besides the Sam460 to choose from. So my original statement that the OS4 guys have more new hardware configs to choose from is true.

The only new hardware available to buy that is supported by OS4 is the SAM460CR, which is also supported by MorphOS.

The X5000 will be supported by both MorphOS and OS4.

So that leaves the Tabor for hardware that will eventually run OS4 but not MorphOS.

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/amigaone-x1000-sold-out.html?m=1

@Cego

There is no hardware available to buy brand new that runs either OS4 or MorphOS.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11415&post_id=122478&viewmode=flat&sortorder=1&showonepost=1

Edit: Scratch that as I believe it's still possible to buy a new Efika in certain places so your argument has no basis in fact.

[ Edited by Intuition 04.11.2015 - 18:13 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »04.11.15 - 18:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:Edit: Scratch that as I believe it's still possible to buy a new Efika in certain places so your argument has no basis in fact.

Efika has been consistently, without any lapses.

http://search.directron.com/newsearch.php?find=efika

People here seem to forget that Genesi had Directron distribution partner. Directron is a major PC system builder and parts reseller.

Directron doesn't play in the Amiga market at all, so getting numbers of how many they have in stock and how many they sell is not something we will ever get. I did call them back around ~2010 inquiring about buying out whatever stock they had left, and they were not interested in even entertaining the idea.

This tells me that at least in 2010 they were selling at whatever was a reasonable rate to them. I'd also bet dollars for donuts that Amigakit tried the same thing in recent years. If they could buy out Directron's stock, they would sell better on an Amiga-centric site. I'm guessing Directron is still selling some boards.
  • »04.11.15 - 23:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    One thing I don't think is mention much here is Petunia. Doesn't the lack of a proper FPU kill Petunia? Isn't Petunia written in ASM, pretty much killing the idea of an easy adaptation to this CPU? How slow will this board be without JIT?
  • »09.11.15 - 18:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Petunia is not a problem.
    Most of 68k amiga software works without fpu.
    You will just have find proper version.
  • »09.11.15 - 18:36
    Kronos
    @red
    Actually what little 68k-SW actually runs under Petunia (or the static emulator) is the least problem, even if they use the FPU as you just would have to change the translation tables to either use integer commonds directly or have it call a replacement function.

[ Edited by Kronos 09.11.2015 - 19:44 ]
  • »09.11.15 - 18:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    One thing I don't think is mention much here is Petunia. Doesn't the lack of a proper FPU kill Petunia? Isn't Petunia written in ASM, pretty much killing the idea of an easy adaptation to this CPU? How slow will this board be without JIT?

JIT for 68k is not the only problem

also there is no JIT for Odyssey available except at the moment for Aros. On amigaworld there were some benchmarks to compare Tabor with other platforms

https://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v7/run.html

i5 aros result (Odyssey 1.25 with JIT):

Score: 11677
    Richards: 13634
    DeltaBlue: 11128
    Crypto: 14538
    Raytrace: 14962
    EarlyBoyer: 21832
    RegExp: 3594
    Splay: 6185
    NavierStrokes: 21602

Sam460ex AmigaOS 4.1 FE

Odyssey 1.23

Score: 29.3
    Richards: 10.6
    DeltaBlue: 7.18
    Crypto: 51.9
    RayTrace: 32.1
    EarleyBoyer: 75.1
    RegExp: 11.3
    Splay: 60.8
    NavierStokes: 84.3

Sam460ex Ubuntu Mate 16.04 -

Qupzilla 1.8.6

Score: 91.3
    Richards: 61.8
    DeltaBlue: 34.8
    Crypto: 108
    RayTrace: 92.9
    EarleyBoyer: 192
    RegExp: 31.3
    Splay: 246
    NavierStokes: 151

Tabor Debian 8 PowerPCSPE chroot smp kernel

Qupzilla 1.8.6

Score: 158
    Richards: 105
    DeltaBlue: 90.7
    Crypto: 143
    RayTrace: 179
    EarleyBoyer: 391
    RegExp: 48.6
    Splay: 422
    NavierStokes: 198

I think numbers speak for themselves... it is a wise decision from MorphOS devs to make a ISA change in future

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 09.11.2015 - 23:29 ]
  • »09.11.15 - 23:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

OlafSch schrieb:

I think numbers speak for themselves... it is a wise decision from MorphOS devs to make a ISA change in future

Worlds between JS on x64 JIt against ppc static. And while I am all for the ISA switch, I sill have hopes the ppc JS-JIT will see light of day to shorten the wait for MorphOS x64.

Here's the result of my Powerbook 1.67Ghz.

Score: 178
    Richards: 85.8
    DeltaBlue: 80.3
    Crypto: 183
    RayTrace: 260
    EarleyBoyer: 439
    RegExp: 54.3
    Splay: 652
    NavierStokes: 195
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »09.11.15 - 23:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:

JIT for 68k is not the only problem

also there is no JIT for Odyssey available except at the moment for Aros. On amigaworld there were some benchmarks to compare Tabor with other platforms

https://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v7/run.html

i5 aros result (Odyssey 1.25 with JIT):

Score: 11677
    Richards: 13634
    DeltaBlue: 11128
    Crypto: 14538
    Raytrace: 14962
    EarlyBoyer: 21832
    RegExp: 3594
    Splay: 6185
    NavierStrokes: 21602

Sam460ex AmigaOS 4.1 FE

Odyssey 1.23

Score: 29.3
    Richards: 10.6
    DeltaBlue: 7.18
    Crypto: 51.9
    RayTrace: 32.1
    EarleyBoyer: 75.1
    RegExp: 11.3
    Splay: 60.8
    NavierStokes: 84.3

Sam460ex Ubuntu Mate 16.04 -

Qupzilla 1.8.6

Score: 91.3
    Richards: 61.8
    DeltaBlue: 34.8
    Crypto: 108
    RayTrace: 92.9
    EarleyBoyer: 192
    RegExp: 31.3
    Splay: 246
    NavierStokes: 151

Tabor Debian 8 PowerPCSPE chroot smp kernel

Qupzilla 1.8.6

Score: 158
    Richards: 105
    DeltaBlue: 90.7
    Crypto: 143
    RayTrace: 179
    EarleyBoyer: 391
    RegExp: 48.6
    Splay: 422
    NavierStokes: 198

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 09.11.2015 - 23:29 ]

Those numbers are brutal. Do we have X1000 numbers? Here's mine.

PowerMac G5 @ 2.5Ghz
    OWB 1.24

Score: 274
    Richards: 143
    DeltaBlue: 116
    Crypto: 274
    RayTrace: 401
    EarleyBoyer: 823
    RegExp: 74.4
    Splay: 836
    NavierStokes: 343

[ Edited by redrumloa 09.11.2015 - 20:34 ]
  • »10.11.15 - 01:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Doesn't the lack of a proper FPU kill Petunia?

> JIT for 68k is not the only problem [...]. On amigaworld there were some
    > benchmarks to compare Tabor with other platforms
    > [...]
    > Sam460ex Ubuntu Mate 16.04 -
    > Qupzilla 1.8.6
    > Score: 91.3
    > [...]
    > Tabor Debian 8 PowerPCSPE chroot smp kernel
    > Qupzilla 1.8.6
    > Score: 158
    > [...]
    > I think numbers speak for themselves...

Indeed. They show that regarding JavaScript performance on Linux there's no problem at all with the Tabor's embedded FPU compared to PPC platforms with standard FPU. But that's with everything specifically compiled for e500v2, which we learned from Hyperionmp won't be the case with OS4. (I don't know to what extent hardware floating point is used by Qupzilla when running this benchmark, though.)
  • »10.11.15 - 08:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    The only resonable conclusion is to get AmigaOS 4 to _barely_ work with the Tabor card. It seems resonable to believe that the whole point of it is to make a motherboard as cheap as possible. This can be viewed in three ways:

1. It's good that they try to make something really cheap as hardware for AmigaOS 4 is always expensive, and speed is not an issue anyway. What is important is to be able to use AmigaOS 4 and it's native software. If it can play HD movies or not is not important.

2. Since I (who ever holds this view) think price/performance is important, I think this board is not only horribly overpriced compared to PC motherboards that is sold in their millions, it's also crippled by a incompatible FPU and therefore even slower, unnecessarily. I want my AmigaOS to be more than just a hobby, I want it to compete with the other OS:es so for me it's important that it doesn't have technical limitations that can't eventually be fixed satisfactory. Come to think about it, let's skip PPC altogether and switch to x86 right away. I bet no one has ever suggested that before.

3. Don't ever EVER talk bad about anything AmigaOS 4 related. It's all lies. Or if you can prove it's no lies it's not important. If it's important, then ... yeah ... well you SUCK!

So it's either a toy, a hopeless mistake or religion. The first view I can respect because then it's clearly a hobby. The second I can respect if you don't mock people for having the first view. The third view is just noise.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.11.15 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Amiga is hobby. Hobby may not be super cheap but has to be interesting.

Amiga OS 4/Morphos are interesting because they

a) run on something that is not a pc
    b) provide integration with old 68k software

If you want people to support your idea of "switch" to x86 you have to provide something
    worth resignation from

a) runnnig on something that is not a pc
    b) integration with old 68k software

You have problem because:
    a)We have year 2015 and Amiga OS 4/Morphos/AROS are on pair with Windows 95.
    You cannot expect people to use on pc something as outdated as Windows 95.
    b)There will be not x86 version of many 68k software, because sources are lost.

Attacks on powerpc and Amiga Os 4 do not make sense.
    As long as you do not have something worth of use on x86 we amiga users will be still using our
    powerpc amigas.
  • »11.11.15 - 18:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    What's the difference between a X5000 and a PC when you remove the PPC, Xena and Xorro? I'm not saying wanting to use PPC isn't reason enough if you like, but everything from the Pegasos I up to today is much closer related to a off-the-shelf PC than the unique design of the Amiga.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.11.15 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    It's just like transubstantiation. When you put a PPC CPU on a motherboard, it turns into an Amiga. Unless of course it's Apple branded, which is kind of ironic, since their boards have more custom designed components than any of the A-Eon boards allegedly "attacked" here.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »12.11.15 - 07:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > morphos is [...] too slow

Really? It feels way faster than OSX or Linux on the same machine.

And it's not only GUI and usability which is faster on MorphOS, but also the tasks which are mostly based on the raw power/performance. For example video playback is much faster on MorphOS than on OSX. We once made some tests on Mac mini and came to conclusion, that MorphOS plays the same video with about 20% less CPU load, and since then, the MorphOS gfx drivers were optimized more giving about 20% boost to its video playback performance (overlay optimizing introduced some versions again). So, the speed difference is even greater nowadays.

Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    Amiga is hobby. Hobby may not be super cheap but has to be interesting.

Amiga OS 4/Morphos are interesting because they

a) run on something that is not a pc
    b) provide integration with old 68k software

I don't agree with a) either. It hasn't been about the HW that much since you started to put PC components in your classic Amigas (gfx cards, audio cards, network cards, USB cards, etc). And definitely not after going to "next gen" where almost everything is based to industry standards. PC as a HW isn't any problem nowadays like it used to be in early 90s.

b) has been my major reason to get into MorphOS, so I agree there.

Quote:

If you want people to support your idea of "switch" to x86 you have to provide something
    worth resignation from

a) runnnig on something that is not a pc
    b) integration with old 68k software

a) isn't a problem at all for the most. Maybe even preferrable option generally, because you just can't make that much better HW than mainstream nowadays. The pace on HW development is such quick that it's just impossible to try to compete with the big players. Price is also a point and what people have been complaining with next gen things.

b) is getting less and less important. Of course I love the compatibility still, but in the coming years it gets more and more marginal because native options are replacing legacy options and legacy software is aging more and more. You won't get legacy 68k software updated anymore and it'll eat their usability with the time.

Even if MorphOS drops 68k compatibility, it still preserves the amigaish identity and principles how the whole OS works. You still have the familiar structure, components, and usability from the Amiga world, the reason why we all are using this thing. We get new software which still works in Amiga way and old software is actually pretty small part in the big picture.

[ Edited by jPV 12.11.2015 - 10:27 ]
  • »12.11.15 - 08:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > When you put a PPC CPU on a motherboard, it turns into an Amiga.

I don't think so. Before the Pegasos II was supported by OS4, it surely wasn't considered an Amiga by OS4 fans. This changed virtually overnight. Accordingly, the Pegasos I never seemed to be considered an Amiga. So the criterion for them seems to be the (announced) support by OS4, which makes sense if you think about it.
  • »12.11.15 - 08:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I don't think so. Before the Pegasos II was supported by OS4, it surely wasn't considered an Amiga by OS4 fans. This changed virtually overnight. Accordingly, the Pegasos I never seemed to be considered an Amiga. So the criterion for them seems to be the (announced) support by OS4, which makes sense if you think about it.

Does a PC running OS4 under emulation become an Amiga now?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »12.11.15 - 10:34
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Does a PC running OS4 under emulation become an Amiga now?

Looks like it... isn't the newly announced A.L.I.C.E. just that?
  • »12.11.15 - 10:43
    Profile Visit Website