• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Hey R&B/BBRV/Genesi,

I don't know why AMD's PIC wasn't more successful. Maybe they limited themselves in developed countries by just having the integrated modem and not Ethernet (except via extra USB 1.1 attachment). This AMD page says the PIC was offered in Brazil, Mexico, some Carribbean countries, and Turkey. None of those are undeveloped countries I don't think, though the electric and telecommunications grids are probably less advanced than, say, USA or Canada or France. With the possible exception of Brazil. So I don't know if AMD really tried in the Third World. And really I'm not sure that many people in Third World countries have telephone lines to plug 56k modems into.

I think to do better than PIC, the next Internet gadget should have Ethernet and integrated wireless capability. Not sure which will help in undeveloped countries, but both of those things will help in developed countries, and the gadget should be sold in both markets.

It's a matter of some dispute here, but I also think the gadget should have potential to play CDs and DVDs, perhaps its best not to integrate that capability ala MacMini but rather to have it as an option, a custom USB CD/DVD that also serves as a dock or something like that.

So in my opinion, AMD PIC's record can be improved on by expanding the capabilities of the device, appealing to both developed and less-developed countries, and making the product user-friendly and reliable and inexpensive.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »24.10.07 - 10:58