Native serial.device
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    2 AmigaMancer:
    Didn't see what's in MorphOS v0.4 but i suspect that it's the same code. Well, i remember you said it doesn't work...
    I hope we can make the device actually working. I will need an extensive help but we'll try to. Well, let's perform the first test. Please take any terminal emulator (Terminus, Term, etc), configure it to use this device and say 'AT' to your modem. Please tell me if it says 'OK' or just hangs up.
    It it works, you can try to do more complex things (like connecting to some BBS, if there are still ones, transferring files via zmodem, etc). Report the results to me.
    Also if there is someone who owns two machines (not necessary two amigas) connected with a null-modem cable and therefore is able to read serial debuglog, please raise your hand, you'll greatly assist the development.
    Speaking more technically, there seems to be some bug within interrupt handler, looks like it hangs upon receiving any character. Such things unfortunately can't be caught via usual debugging tools, only the second machine is needed because crash happens at a very low level and the whole system gets halted => no possibility for logtool or whatever to do its job, even ramdebug buffer can be empty after this.
    I repeat, if there is some interested developer owning classic Amiga, you can become the package maintainer. If you're novice, i can assist you, you'll gain some good experience. I just don't own the hardware so such "remote development" is difficult and slow.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »13.09.05 - 06:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

I hope we can make the device actually working. I will need an extensive help but we'll try to. Well, let's perform the first test. Please take any terminal emulator (Terminus, Term, etc), configure it to use this device and say 'AT' to your modem.

I think i have these programs, plus AmTerm but i have never use them. How do i say 'AT' to my modem? I need some detailed guidance.

Quote:

Please tell me if it says 'OK' or just hangs up.

I have tried only AmTerm, atm. Under AOS it seems to run ok, but under MOS it freezes at startup. I don't know if this is related to the serial device or to MOS.

Quote:

Also if there is someone who owns two machines (not necessary two amigas) connected with a null-modem cable and therefore is able to read serial debuglog, please raise your hand, you'll greatly assist the development.

I wish i could help you on this particular thing, but i can't.
    Out of curiosity. Have you got any reports from users which are able to use your device successfully?

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2005/9/15 17:05 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »15.09.05 - 15:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

AmigaMancer wrote:

I think i have these programs, plus AmTerm but i have never use them. How do i say 'AT' to my modem? I need some detailed guidance.

Easy. Start the program, configure it to use the proper driver, type "AT<enter>". The modem should respond "OK".

Quote:

I have tried only AmTerm, atm. Under AOS it seems to run ok, but under MOS it freezes at startup. I don't know if this is related to the serial device or to MOS.

I've tried Terminus, works fine. Term should do too (BTW, it's opensourced, may be someone ports it? ;-) )

Quote:

Out of curiosity. Have you got any reports from users which are able to use your device successfully?

Yes. Several people run it, but unfortunately it doesn't provide any significant speed gain. I guess the problem is in exec.library's interrupt code, or in the Amiga chipset itself which is slow.
  • »16.09.05 - 06:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Hi sonic. I have just tried what you said with terminus and here are the results.

Under AOS:
    I get these messages right after i start the program:
    Initializing modem...

ATZ
    OK
    ATE1 Q0 V1 X4
    OK
    then i type AT and i get OK.

Under MOS:
    Same as AOS, except from one thing: When the program starts, it idles at the "Initializing modem..." message. I thought that it crashed but when i press enter it continues with the rest messages. AT reports OK, too.
    Regarding BBSs, i seriously doubt if there is a single one where i live. I will do a search anyway.

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2005/9/17 17:39 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »17.09.05 - 15:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

AmigaMancer wrote:
    Under AOS:
    I get these messages right after i start the program:
    Initializing modem...

ATZ
    OK
    ATE1 Q0 V1 X4
    OK
    then i type AT and i get OK.

Under MOS:
    Same as AOS, except from one thing: When the program starts, it idles at the "Initializing modem..." message. I thought that it crashed but when i press enter it continues with the rest messages. AT reports OK, too.

Hm, looks like some buffering/inthandler problem.
  • »19.09.05 - 06:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    Hi,
    I remembers years ago when I tried to transfert ADF from the PC (hyperterm) to the A1200 (AmigaBasic), I setted the port to 9600-n-8.
    I tried a simple text files that I displayed in real time and got quickly some strange result due to a kind of buffering.
    So the solution was to had on the PC a 1 ms or 1s latency per line transmitted.
    You should check that.
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »19.09.05 - 10:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Btw, just tried Term 4.7 from aminet and it works only with AmigaOS. It doesn't run at all with MOS.

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2005/9/19 14:07 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »19.09.05 - 11:51
    Golem
    Term runs on MorphOS here, using v4.8 from my CygnusEd CD, iirc v4.7 also worked.
  • »19.09.05 - 15:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Here is what i get with Genesis (attempting a dial-up):

AT
    OK
    AT
    OK
    ATDT<ISP's phone number>

At this point, 2 things happens depending on if i press enter or not. (Hmm, that reminds me of terminus. Check my post about this on this thread)
    a) If i don't press enter: It idles for about half a minute and then it displays:
    CONNECT 40000
    then a line of weird ascii characters, and re-attempts to dial without success.

b) If i press enter: It display this right away:
    CONNECT 44000 (Of course, on AmigaOS i don't have to press enter to get this. It is automaticaly being displayed)

But then it idles for a few seconds and it timeouts by resetting the modem (double bleep, 2 times).
    In the main genesis window it says: err sana2_online could not put dEVS:Networks/appp.device, unit 0 online.
    I have the appp.device v3.1 (68k) in the proper directory, of course.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »22.09.05 - 21:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    In case someone cares, i bought a silversurfer serial port and things are a lot better now. Miami connects without problems and speed is acceptable. A litle slower than in AOS but usable.
    Of course, the serial.device is not used anymore. It is replaced by the silversurfer.device. I will send a mail to the company, asking them to release a MOS native version.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »17.12.05 - 15:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
  • »17.12.05 - 15:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Why? Is he against MorphOS or just inactive?
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »17.12.05 - 15:47