Morphos ownership transfer?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Dragster
    Hi there. i guess this is the right forum to post this question, so here it is...

I bought a pegasos II system recently including the MoirphOS 2.x keyfile.. I'd like to change the ownership of MorphOS and have a new keyfile for this same hardware with my details as the new 'owner'. Is it possible to ask morphos team to update my keyfile (i.e. provide a new one) in order to transfer its ownership?

Who should I contact for this?

Thanks in advance!

Dragster

[ Edited by Dragster on 2010/2/3 0:08 ]
  • »03.02.10 - 06:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Tried to do the same two weeks ago for my EFIKA... I wrote my wishes to the MOS-Team and been still waiting for an answer as yet....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »03.02.10 - 07:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hi guys
    They are very busy programming and living life but i'm sure you will get a response soon. You should also post a request on the official Morphos Mailing list for a fast response.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »03.02.10 - 08:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    I think it will be enough to run the regtool and enter the correct information?
    I was told that this should work when i tried to change ownership.
  • »03.02.10 - 08:47
  • Just looking around
    Morphee
    Quote:

They are very busy programming and living life but i'm sure you will get a response soon. You should also post a request on the official Morphos Mailing list for a fast response.

sucking them is fine, but as long as they sell a product they must answer customers in decent delays, a user that paid +150euros should not even bother about what they do in life.
  • »03.02.10 - 12:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    If they are too bussy at the moment (completing MOS2.5.... :-) ) - ok, doesn't matter - I've time The EFIKA is running proper even with a "Alien"-keyfile 8-) ....but they shouldn't let me wait till summer.....

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 an 2010/2/3 13:54 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »03.02.10 - 13:53
    Golem
    Quote:

SMF wrote:
    I think it will be enough to run the regtool and enter the correct information?
    I was told that this should work when i tried to change ownership.

So did it work? :)
  • »03.02.10 - 14:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @Morphee

I guess you didn't read the Terms of Use in RegTool? And do keep in mind that the OS is still fully functional even if it isn't your name shown as the registered owner.
  • »03.02.10 - 14:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Morphee
    Quote:

I guess you didn't read the Terms of Use in RegTool? And do keep in mind that the OS is still fully functional even if it isn't your name shown as the registered owner.

and i guess you didn't read my own words cause i don't see the link with what i just said. I'm talking about the obligation of the morphos developers to deliver a decently fast answer to customers emails as they are selling a product, not giving it.
  • »03.02.10 - 14:42
    Golem
    @Morphee

Thanks for confirming that.
  • »03.02.10 - 14:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Morphee schrieb:
    Quote:

and i guess you didn't read my own words cause i don't see the link with what i just said. I'm talking about the obligation of the morphos developers to deliver a decently fast answer to customers emails as they are selling a product, not giving it.

As most of the related devevelopers work on the product for free, most of the MorphOS devs don't have any obligation to answer customers really, at least from your perspective.... :)
    Why the product is not free, is a totally different issue, though ....
    Back to topic: As far as i know it was possible to register again and receive an updated key, not sure if this policy has changed.

[ Editiert durch pega-1 an 2010/2/3 18:00 ]

[ Editiert durch pega-1 an 2010/2/3 18:01 ]
  • »03.02.10 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    RSchmidt
    We only change key names on some rare occasion when somebody registered with a typo by mistake because all these require manual database changes.
    There is simply no concept of MorphOS registered on a name, it's registered to the machine. Somebody bought a timeless license of currently MorphOS 2.x for a certain hardware and we recorded the buyer's name in the key.
    If you sell that hardware the license automaticly transfers. Any owner change there is of no real relevance to us but either some people don't understand that or think they have the pressing need to see their name on the second hand bought hardware in the Ambient About requester.
    For the people with this unsatisfied need the next OS release will come with a tool you can use to tell the system a different owner like "Mickey Mouse", "Steve Jobs favourite OS" or whatever fits your mood.
  • »03.02.10 - 18:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Dragster
    @Ralph

Thanks for the answer. I'm not that worried about the name shown in the about requester but more on the registered username, I thought the MOS Team could look more on it as to know whether or not provide support for a user, if the support is provided regarless of the username then it's ok for me.

Looking forward to the next MorphOS release.

Thank you,

Dragster

Edit: typos

[ Edited by Dragster on 2010/2/3 13:53 ]
  • »03.02.10 - 19:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Wow! This thread got the 2 head honchos of Morphos to post! Mark the occasion! I'm going to change my name to Bill Buck :) or maybe Nicolas Sallin.... 8-)
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »03.02.10 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:

most of the related devevelopers work on the product for free

But that product costs money (and an important sum, I must add). Isn't what you say an unfortunate statement?
  • »04.02.10 - 09:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

But that product costs money (and an important sum, I must add). Isn't what you say an unfortunate statement?

How so? It's not like laire keeps us all in his dungeon forcing us to do his coding for him (sorry to disappoint all you long-time WrongPla.net fans ;) ) .. there haven't been any minors among his slaves for ages even. :P

- CISC
  • »04.02.10 - 09:46