[I need another one] Wanted: Efika 5200B
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Somewhere around 2003 I was choosing between buying Efika and Pegasos 2.

Efika 5200B support was added to MorphOS only in 2008 (MorphOS 2.0) :-)
  • »14.12.20 - 18:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Mozzerfan wrote:
    Sailor doesn't mention if his results are with full screen mode or windowed mode.

In window mode I get 78-87 FPS on my 1.5 Ghz. Macmini.

In full screen mode I get 120-130 FPS.

Sorry, I didn't mention, but I have in mind default options, i.e. fullscreen.
    Many thanks, 120-130fps is faster then Pegasos.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.12.20 - 05:58
    Kronos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Somewhere around 2003 I was choosing between buying Efika and Pegasos 2.

Efika 5200B support was added to MorphOS only in 2008 (MorphOS 2.0) :-)

Ts ts TheWolf missed the bigger error in that statement.......
  • »15.12.20 - 06:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Slightly hijacking this thread: is there any fps show option on uae? I'd like to check if there is any benefit in switching off vsync into some classic games. So far, I didn't witness any difference into my tests.

Though vsync didn't raise the fps counter on Q3 to my setup, it did help smoothing fps while under heavy load (big scenes on maps with many enemies while speed strafing).

To execute it as script I do: run setenv TGLSYNC 0? Switching 0 to 1 bring back vsync I pressume?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »15.12.20 - 09:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Somewhere around 2003 I was choosing between buying Efika and Pegasos 2.

>> Efika 5200B support was added to MorphOS only in 2008 (MorphOS 2.0) :-)

> TheWolf missed the bigger error in that statement.......

Which one would that be (bigger factual error than being half a decade off, that is)?
  • »15.12.20 - 12:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> Somewhere around 2003 I was choosing between buying Efika and Pegasos 2.

>> Efika 5200B support was added to MorphOS only in 2008 (MorphOS 2.0) :-)

> TheWolf missed the bigger error in that statement.......

Which one would that be (bigger factual error than being half a decade off, that is)?

I know, for someone the smallest details are more important than the meaning of the message. Anyway, I don't have exact diary from these days. My apollogies for this. I don't want to search archives and wayback machines to be absolute precise. We was talking also about purchase of AmigaOne years before it was oficially available. The same with Tabor today ;-)
    Here is mentioned Efika years before official production and here years before MorphOs support.

Yes, you are right, we cannot speak about Efika in 2003, but can in 2005 ;-)

But the meaning of the message is, that in the past I was thinking about purchase of Efika. I didn't buy it, and I want to buy it now. Pleeeease!

[ Edited by sailor 15.12.2020 - 14:30 ]
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.12.20 - 13:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> TheWolf missed the bigger error in that statement.......

>> Which one would that be (bigger factual error than being
    >> half a decade off, that is)?

> for someone the smallest details are more important than the
    > meaning of the message. [...] the meaning of the message is,
    > that in the past I was thinking about purchase of Efika.

For some other people, being corrected on details means the corrector didn't get the meaning of the message ;-) Btw, I'm still waiting for Kronos to reveal the real big error he said you made :-)

> My apollogies for this. [...] Yes, you are right, we cannot speak
    > about Efika in 2003

No need to apologize. We all err or misremember from time to time.

> We was talking also about purchase of AmigaOne years
    > before it was oficially available.

"AmigaOne" has always been just a label and what was to be sold under that label changed multiple times over the years. What was finally sold as "AmigaOne" in late 2002 was technically a different product than what was initially announced 2½ years before. Not so with the Efika 5200B.

> Here is mentioned Efika years before official production
    > and here years before MorphOs support.

Indeed, Efika 5200B took 3 whole years from initial announcement to official MorphOS support (1½ years from initial announcement to official production and then another 1½ years to official MorphOS support).
  • »15.12.20 - 17:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    I see, no one wants to correct his inaccurate detail about half a decade, so what. Correcting other people's details is easier.

@amigadave
    Many thanks for your offer. Fortunately just now arrives Efika from my colleague from Germany.

@all
    Merry Christmas and all the best in the year 2021.
  • »21.12.20 - 17:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I see, no one wants to correct his inaccurate detail about half a decade

That's because "choosing between buying Efika and Pegasos 2" was stated, not "choosing between waiting for Efika and buying Pegasos 2" :-) And considering that this is MorphZone, it's certainly not uncalled for to refer the statement to MorphOS actually being available for the platform, not just announced for and demoed on it, leaving just Linux to use.
    But yeah, if you really considered Efika as a future purchase alternative to Pegasos 2 in 2005 when it was just announced and the MorphOS team message was that there won't be MorphOS support (which I'd find utterly implausible), then it's just 2 years instead of half a decade. And if you really considered Efika as a purchase alternative to Pegasos 2 in late 2006 when it was available but MorphOS just announced for and demoed on it, then it's just 3 years instead of half a decade.
    And as I see, no one wants to reveal the real big error you allegedly made :-)
  • »21.12.20 - 18:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Hello,

I forgot to mention - I got the Efika from a colleague from Germany - thank you. I'm still testing it and when I finish testing (and don't burn it) I will register MorphOS.

And many thanks also to amigadave for his offer.

[ Edited by sailor 14.03.2021 - 11:17 ]
  • »14.03.21 - 10:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Excuse me to continuing offtopic topic...
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

sailor wrote: For MorphOS daily use I have Pegasos 2 (overclocked), wich is probably faster then MacMini in most tasks.

No matter how far you overclock a Peg2 :
    - it might reach the 1.25-1.5GHz of a MacMini
    - it might have a better GPU than any MacMini
    - it won't reach the RAM speed of any MacMini
    - it won't reach the AGP speed of any MacMini

-> Peg2 will only be faster for games that can make full use of a better GFX card and are not bottlenecked by CPU,RAM or AGP, everything else will run faster on the Mini.

Here can be explanation why overclocked Pegasos + 9800PRO is so good compared to Powerbook - videobus-speed
    Measured with RageMem(AOS) and GfxSpeed(MOS). It is interesting, because Pegasos2 have AGPx1(PCI) and Powerbook AGP x4.

[ Edited by sailor 18.03.2021 - 10:32 ]
  • »18.03.21 - 07:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

sailor schrieb:
    Hello,

I forgot to mention - I got the Efika from a colleague from Germany - thank you. I'm still testing it and when I finish testing (and don't burn it) I will register MorphOS.

Party time in Bohemia? ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.03.21 - 20:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Hi again.

My first Efika 5200b is working fine. Now I want to made some hardware modifications, and there is risk of damage.

So I am looking for second Efika 5200b for experiments.

Do anyone one spare? Amigadave please?
    Directron web page seems to be down - at least from here is unrechable.
  • »13.09.22 - 07:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Before you modify hardware, tell us, what you want to try! Because there are made/tried many things in the past, which won't and probably will never work on EFIKA for firmware-reason (eg. RAM).
    2nd IDE and serial are not supportet by MOS (and there is only a very little chance that ever will happen).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »13.09.22 - 08:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @Amigaharry2

no no no, first I try it and if it will be succsessful, I let you know. ;-)
    Otherwise I will have one broken Efika.

And yes, I know a little about RAM issue. Two working IDE devices is my finding, somewhere on this forum are the results - maybe sometimes ide driver will be improved...

So please, if you have any Efika...
  • »13.09.22 - 08:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Directron web page seems to be down - at least from here is unrechable.

They seem to block access from outside USA or North America. Using a web-based VPN service with US proxy server it's possible to access the site, but Efika has vanished meanwhile, indicating stock has been sold off. That guy successfully managed to buy one from them as recently as March 2022. Maybe he got the last one?

Edit: In the comments to part 2 of the video, he says that "at the time they had 10 left nos". Not sure if this refers to March (part 1) or May (part 2).

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 07.10.2022 - 22:14 ]
  • »13.09.22 - 09:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

sailor schrieb:
    @Amigaharry2

n.... Two working IDE devices is my finding, somewhere on this forum are the results - maybe sometimes ide driver will be improved...

Not only yours - I discussed that with Frank Mariak a couple of years ago (and some other things belonging to SmartFirmware). To activate 2ndIDE channel, driver in Kernel has to be modified. It can be done, but no one at MOS-team has time to do it (its really the very last point on todo-list)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »13.09.22 - 16:53