Bounty proposal
Poll: Who wants a good word processor
Ended on 28.09.2012 - 04:59:30
Total Voters: 0

guruman
    Fraggle,
    Quote:

I want to go for stuff we REALLY need like drivers and essential apps etc...

If that's your intention, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate a push for the development of drivers for wireless connection on Macs (most notably, for the PowerBooks)...

Kind regards,
    Andrea

[ Edited by guruman 22.09.2012 - 18:49 ]
  • »22.09.12 - 18:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    According to the info that Fab presented a while ago at a meeting, support for the Airport (Extreme) is supposed to be planned for, and might already be started.

I don't know if more money will accelerate this work, like it apparently has for the R300 3D driver development.

I do agree that having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition to have finished for the next version of MorphOS3.x, or some version soon after the next version. But since I have already purchased two other wireless networking solutions that I can use with my G4 PowerBook, having the Airport Extreme inside the G4 PowerBook (and G4 MacMini), is not such an urgent priority for me personally anymore.

I think I would rather have a great word processor, or office suite running native on MorphOS3.1.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.09.12 - 21:45
  • Just looking around
    EDanaII
    Java? C#? An investment in either of those would go a long way in getting you such and much more.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that -- is it ever? -- but that's certainly something I'd like to see.

Ed.
  • »22.09.12 - 22:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    EDanaII wrote:,
    Quote:

Java? C#? An investment in either of those would go a long way in getting you such and much more.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that -- is it ever? -- but that's certainly something I'd like to see.

Good ideas Ed! Better development tools, and Java which would make many other things possible are often over looked.

I don't personally know anything about C#, but I know a lot of people who are using it, so it must be either good, or just popular right now.

Edit: Since there are zero votes so far, I guess I am not the only member here that can't figure out how to vote on this poll?

[ Edited by amigadave 22.09.2012 - 14:28 ]
  • »22.09.12 - 23:26
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    runequester
    yeah, a proper PPC port of final writer that can import/export a few modern standard formats would be killer. Throw in PDF export and I'd be quite happy. Don't need a ton of extra features on top.
    Amiga 1200 and G4 MDD MOS as my main computers.
  • »23.09.12 - 04:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside
    > the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition

I'm confident that such driver would work on the 1.5 GHz model currently supported by MorphOS as well.
  • »23.09.12 - 11:29
  • Just looking around
    EDanaII
    @ AmigaDave

Quote:

I don't personally know anything about C#, but I know a lot of people who are using it, so it must be either good, or just popular right now.

C# is a language sponsored by M$ that is not hugely different from Java. This is because they both have C++ as their common inherited syntax. C# has a huge backing because, like Java, a developer can do their job better than they could with C++.

I would love to see either one or both on any nextgen amiga not simply because of their large software base but because they're a lot easier to work with than their predecessors.

My two cents anyway... :)
  • »23.09.12 - 20:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Andreas_Wolf wrote:,
    Quote:

> having a MorphOS3.x driver for the Airport Extreme cards inside
    > the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's would be a great addition

I'm confident that such driver would work on the 1.5 GHz model currently supported by MorphOS as well.

I am often too lazy to type out obvious parts of my statements. To my knowledge, all Airport Extreme cards are compatible with each other, so a driver for one Airport Extreme will probably support all Airport Extreme cards in all Mac models.

I am not sure your post helped clarify my post to anyone, as I think that everyone here could probably figure out that if the Airport Extreme in the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook gets supported, and it also supports the Airport Extreme in the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini (which IIRC, I also mentioned in my earlier post), then the Airport Extreme in the 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook, that is currently supported by MorphOS3.1, would also be supported by such an Airport Extreme driver for MorphOS3.x.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.09.2012 - 16:33 ]
  • »24.09.12 - 01:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am often too lazy to type out obvious parts of my statements.

As it's obvious you were referring to already supported PowerBooks, just "(G4) PowerBooks" would have been even less to type than "1.67GHz G4 PowerBook's". So obviously, applying the economical aspect didn't work here for me, which in turn made me think you've had have a reason for typing more than was required and at the same time restricting your statement to those (G4) PowerBooks that are running at "1.67GHz".

> To my knowledge, all Airport Extreme cards are compatible with
    > each other, so a driver for one Airport Extreme will probably
    > support all Airport Extreme cards in all Mac models.

Yes, that's probably true I think and is what my statement is based on. That said, there are three different Broadcom chipsets that have been used for AirPort Extreme, which are the BCM4306, the BCM4318 and the BCM4320. I don't know how compatible with each other they are on a driver level, nor do I know which Apple machines have which chipset, but I know that the MorphOS-supported 1.5 GHz G4 PowerBook model has the same chipset as the 1.67 GHz model of the same generation.

> I am not sure your post helped clarify my post to anyone

I think my post helped clarify your post to everyone who was made to think that you had had a reason for typing more than was required and at the same time restricting your statement to those (G4) PowerBooks that are running at "1.67GHz".
  • »24.09.12 - 08:44
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    It seems there are various projects of word processors on Amigalikes. If bounty would be made, I think it would be difficult to choose what to support.
    Some options:
    -port of some good 68k app
    -new NG app
    -native port of AbiWord
    -stripped down PageStream (with PDF in + out)

Perhaps a reward bounty for the person(s) that is the first one to deliver a free word processor (AOS4+MOS+AROS) that meets some tight specs?
    Another interesting SW could be just a document converter that can handle all mainstream document formats and some key Amiga fileformats.
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »24.09.12 - 14:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    hardware accelerated Cairo would probably boost OWB performance but I don't know if any coder would be interested in doing that
  • »24.09.12 - 18:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    connor,
    Quote:

BTW: I wonder why all the bounty proposals have the same thread name instead of the poll's name. Should be fixed.

Yes I was a bit confused about the bounty forum, sorry about that. This was really meant as a discussion thread. I will be more careful before making any more threads/polls.

[ Edited by Fraggle 30.09.2012 - 11:31 ]
    Fraggle
  • »30.09.12 - 12:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Porting of calibre shell tools would be nice.

Of course it would require a MUI GUI, but having all the tools, the GUI is quite simple.

For those who have no clue about calibre. It is an ebook converter tool, which inputs and outputs pdf, html, epub and other formats. The GUI also contains an ebook reader.

I use it quite often to create epubs for my ipad. I write them with MorphOS and I upload them from MorphOS, but inbetween I need to use OSX or Windows to create proper epub files, so that is my choice for a useful bounty. :D

Geit
  • »09.10.12 - 14:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Porting of calibre shell tools would be nice.

They are pure Python and don't really require any porting...

- CISC
  • »09.10.12 - 14:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    It requires at least porting onother python, as it is not a python version we have already. Phython versions are not compatible to each other, as they reinvent the well over and over.

And there are several shell tools which I guess will be needed, too.

Geit
  • »09.10.12 - 15:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    A newer version of SMBFS that doesn't have atrocious transfer speeds would be nice.

Anyone up for it?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »07.07.13 - 20:15
    bash64
    I would love to help you out but I need an easier way to develop apps than C.
    Any other languages out there?
    :-D
    I can program perl, basic, assembly.
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »07.07.13 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A newer version of SMBFS that doesn't have atrocious transfer speeds would be nice.

Geit once mentioned another SMB/CIFS filesystem implementation called FuseSMB. This would be feasible I think because MorphOS already has a FUSE-compatible filesystem layer.
  • »07.07.13 - 21:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > A newer version of SMBFS that doesn't have atrocious transfer speeds would be nice.

Geit once mentioned another SMB/CIFS filesystem implementation called FuseSMB. This would be feasible I think because MorphOS already has a FUSE-compatible filesystem layer.

That would be something I'd donate to or even buy a copy of if it were released as a downloadable package.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »07.07.13 - 21:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

bash64 wrote:
    I would love to help you out but I need an easier way to develop apps than C.
    Any other languages out there?
    :-D
    I can program perl, basic, assembly.

I understand C but lack the time and the inclination to make smbfs 1.74 compile on MorphOS. I have even less inclination to make improvements to it.
    :-x

• »07.07.13 - 21:26
    bash64
    NTFS-3G is an example of a fuse file system for morph.
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »07.07.13 - 21:57
    Profile Visit Website