Bounty for getting MorphOS Team a PS3
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    But I would love to see MorphOS on PS3 as well :)
  • »26.09.08 - 13:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    samantha would be the wrong way, we dont need another underpowered embedded system. lets hope for the 8610 and mac ports.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »26.09.08 - 14:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I also suggetsing to *first* finish the Mac Mini port and *then* think what to target next.
    Macs are currently the best choice. Hopefully we'll see some new hardware based on the 8610 and 512* soon which both are better candidates for MorphOS than the PS3, Wii or xbox360.

But first the Mac!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.09.08 - 15:05
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    a simple question by a newbie:

where are 8610 and 512* processors are used? In which machines?
  • »26.09.08 - 15:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I think after MOS is ported to Mac Mini the next best choice would be the Powerbook(not iBook)
    It got a G4 with up to 1,67Ghz and a Radeon 9700(the question is if it's possible to make a Driver for the R9700 that support 3D?)

@ CountRaven: Afaik the 8610 and 512* are used only on some expensive Dev-Boards.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »26.09.08 - 15:16
    analogkid
    @Cego: surely the Samantha-board is underpowered, but you are able to upgrade it with more RAM, and you can use SATA-drives, two very important advantages over the efika.

[ Edited by analogkid on 2008/9/26 16:03 ]
  • »26.09.08 - 16:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you are able to upgrade it with more RAM, [...] very important
    > advantages over the efika.

It has more RAM than Efika, right, but RAM is not expandable.
  • »26.09.08 - 16:38
    analogkid
    @Andreas_Wolf:

http://www.acube-systems.biz/eng/sam.php

the official site is telling us, that the SAM is alternatively available with a DDR DIMM 100 slot. Is this alternative version not available or sold out?
  • »26.09.08 - 17:44
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    samantha would be the wrong way, we dont need another underpowered embedded system. lets hope for the 8610 and mac ports.

Well the idea of sam440 port is to lure in new user from OS 4.1 land obviously. I mean who of them wouldn't actually even try out MOS if they have the ability to do so? I'm willing to bet that there are many who wants to try it out and then there are ofcourse the people who for some reason hate MOS, but I have a feeling that even they might try it out :)
  • »26.09.08 - 18:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the SAM is alternatively available with a DDR DIMM 100 slot.

Correct. This version has no soldered RAM. And the Sam440 can only take 512 MiB maximum (albeit the CPU could address 1 GiB max).

> Is this alternative version not available or sold out?

I think it is available, but to no use for users who need more than 512 MiB.
  • »26.09.08 - 18:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @discreetfx

Oh, don't get me started on this. :roll:

I'm sorry for sounding harsh here (no evil pun towards you intended), but MorphOS/Amiga on PS3 is a *retarded idea* for *so many* reasons (and that is *on top* of the pure technical reasons), and would only serve as a destructive diversion of important efforts and valuable man-hours that could be much better spent elsewhere.

If the MorphOS Team would sincerely look at the PS3 as a viable way forward towards any kind of commercial future, then one might think that since MorphOS is a *commercial* OS (just like Hyperion's OS for that matter) they could buy their own hardware from the money they make on past, current and future OS sales, right?

But hey, if you want to *reward* the MorphOS team with free PS3's, like you did to the Friedens, then don't let me get in your way! ;-) And if you do so, then please include the latest Metal Gear Solid! Apart from GTA4, I think it's the best console game I've played in *a long* time! And that's mainly what the PS3 is for anyway, playing PS3 games...

However, if you want to initiate some kind of bounty that further advances MorphOS itself in any way, and fund the foundation for it, then I'm sure the morphzone crowd can come up with loads of ideas! It doesn't have to be big things; I mean codecs and stuff for reggae, drivers of various kinds, etc. I'd chip in for these kind of things. But not for PS3, no no...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2008/9/27 0:56 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.09.08 - 23:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    If MorphOS for MacMini is almost done / fairly easy but a little time consuming, then by all means please finish the port.

As for a bounty for porting to iBook G4 etc then, please, NO. Let's put efforts towards current or new hardware, not discontinued or hard to get hold of hardware.

I don't think Sony are going to open up the PS3. Have you seen the situation with the PSP ? If it wasn't for the firmware hackers, official firmware would be at version 1.0. And you have to make a special battery to install the custom firmware but people are willing to do it!

While we are talking about future hardware, PPC is effectively dead, there is not going to be a G6, the only processors that might be available will be SoC aimed at embedded systems. Time to think about a new CPU target.
  • »27.09.08 - 13:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    While the opinions about any next generation console hardware (especially in regard to (im)possible MorphOS ports) are disperse for whatever reasons...

I just want to let you know that I personally don't mind getting a free PS3 (or any other next generation console or whatever hardware like a Powerbook, Plasma TV, Porsche, Boeing 747 or a nice Castle in the Scottish Mountains) as long no strings or expectations are attached. I think that goes most members of the team actually. If someone has too much money, then why the he..err... dell not? ;-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »27.09.08 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    I want a japanese XBox 360.
    PM me for the contact details.

Thanks.
  • »27.09.08 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    DiscreetFX:
    How are things going with that other bounty - AMozilla?
  • »27.09.08 - 19:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

I want a japanese XBox 360. PM me for the contact details. Thanks.

i already offered you a CD32.
    I want MorphOS on my ipod touch.
  • »27.09.08 - 21:40
    ausPPC
    MorphOS support for the Samantha boards would have the benefit of giving users the choice of OSes. Having a single motherboard capable of running Linux, AROS, OS4 and MorphOS could be compelling enough to dislodge some of the fence sitters.

Another good thing about Sam is that it's cool and quiet and likely to see further development.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »28.09.08 - 04:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

MorphOS support for the Samantha boards would have the benefit of giving users the choice of OSes

That sounds like a lot of work to give committed OS4 users the chance to download a trial version and not register it.

If EFIKA is more powerful then why bother ?

I am sure there must be some computer show or meeting where open minded users can put a Sam/OS4 next to an EFIKA/MOS2 and people can decide for themselves.
  • »28.09.08 - 04:56
    ausPPC
    Quote:

That sounds like a lot of work to give committed OS4 users the chance to download a trial version and not register it.

Kind of negative way to look at things. Any new port of MorphOS is going to be a lot of work. I see the Sam as being as valid a target as PPC Macs because the Sam would seem to have a future. It'd be nice to see the Efika developed too but it's not as if MorphOS will run on the next bPlan/Genesi hardware with zero effort.

[ Edited by ausPPC on 2008/9/28 16:31 ]
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »28.09.08 - 06:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

Kind of negative way to look at things.

Anyone who has bought a Sam is going to be someone who was hoping OS4 would be ported. Very few people are going to buy both OS4 and MorphOS.

Quote:

Sam would seem to have a future.

That remains to be seen. We don't know what the profit margins are or what the break even cost is. As long as enough people buy them then they would have a future (probably).
  • »28.09.08 - 11:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

MorphOS support for the Samantha boards would have the benefit of giving users the choice of OSes. Having a single motherboard capable of running Linux, AROS, OS4 and MorphOS could be compelling enough to dislodge some of the fence sitters.

Another good thing about Sam is that it's cool and quiet and likely to see further development.

The SAM board is a overpriced piece of crap. You'd rather have MorphOS ported to that thing??? Ummmm so you havent seen Piru's screenshot of MorphOS running on his MAC MINI??

The Mac Mini is much more powerful than the EFIKA and SAM + its alot cheaper. Anyone who doesnt see that needs to get their eyes checked.

On a similiar note.. If you couldnt get OS4 users who have bought NOTHING (read: no hardware, no OS4.x) to buy an EFIKA and use MOS for FREE then you're not going to get them to jump on it with a SAM board. Hopefully the big picture does not include trying to persuade OS4 users to use MOS when it should be the NEW users and "geeks" that wouldnt mind playing around with this using their MacMini.

-Alex
  • »28.09.08 - 14:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

koan wrote:

If EFIKA is more powerful then why bother ?

The Efika is not more powerful than the SAM, but ahelluvalot cheaper! The price is its main feature, its main advantage.

The clock frequency of the SAM is a bit higher than the Efika but I doubt that you'd notice any benefit in overall performance. It's still an underpowered board for serious desktop usage. But compared to the Efika it's also terribly overpriced.
  • »28.09.08 - 15:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:

Any new port of MorphOS is going to be a lot of work.

Indeed! So it must be worth the effort for you to do it, right...?

Quote:

I see the Sam as being as valid a target as PPC Macs because the Sam would seem to have a future.

How do you come to that conclusion?

At that price I'd guess that they will sell between 50-200 boards in total, and 100% of them to die-hard OS4 supporters who gladly pays that kind of money for that kind of underspecced hardware just for the sake of running OS4.

But then what?
  • »28.09.08 - 16:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    takemehomegrandma:
    They will sell it to all them damn industrial customers!!!1111
  • »28.09.08 - 17:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koan wrote:
    If MorphOS for MacMini is almost done / fairly easy but a little time consuming, then by all means please finish the port.

As for a bounty for porting to iBook G4 etc then, please, NO. Let's put efforts towards current or new hardware, not discontinued or hard to get hold of hardware.

I don't think Sony are going to open up the PS3. Have you seen the situation with the PSP ? If it wasn't for the firmware hackers, official firmware would be at version 1.0. And you have to make a special battery to install the custom firmware but people are willing to do it!

While we are talking about future hardware, PPC is effectively dead, there is not going to be a G6, the only processors that might be available will be SoC aimed at embedded systems. Time to think about a new CPU target.

The reasons for porting to PPC Macs of all model types and any/all game consoles are to increase the size of the MorphOS user base, which is badly needed. The cost and availability of used PPC Macs makes them a good choice and their performance is far beyond the SAM (which is going nowhere and will be very short lived). I would like to see MOS on the PS3, but doubt it will happen as it will likely be too much work for too little gain.

Hopefully porting to PPC Macs will increase the number of users, increase sales of the OS and motivate the MOS team to then port the OS to more modern and cost effective hardware, what ever that may be.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.09.08 - 23:11