KHTML homepage updated once again
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    Quote:

Sell the "Amiga " 68k and os4 version seperately.

No please :evil:

:-P
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »27.07.06 - 23:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

weiseb wrote:
    @raistlin77it
    > and u trust aw.net ?

Lets put it this way:
    I would not have trusted it more, if a guy
    with an unknown nick who seams to have created its
    account (just) for that thread had posted it at morphzone.

k, u're half in true (sorry but i tend to not trust very much aw.net) 8-)

but now the question is (at least for me who have donated)

according to targhan donation's page, $2048.80 aren't enough to make a browser??

(i don't want to flame, nor force marcik decision, but tonight i'm a little polemic)
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »27.07.06 - 23:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Doesn't matter how the final product will be priced - just create a fine modern web browser for us! ;)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »27.07.06 - 23:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Marcik says:

Quote:

On the one hand selling istead of giving it away for donations will mean that I could spend more time on it but on the other a lot of people already donated (keep in mind that it's maintained by Targhan and refunds to all people that donated won't be easy, paypal will charge again for sending money, etc) and some of them might also don't like that money was kept for about one year, as they could spend them on something else. So, there're some pros and some contras of changing license scheme. And NOTHING was decided yet.

Hey, what is up with that? I am one of the donators and yeah I do not like that you are talking about possibly doing some other sort of release and not costless MorphOS release. You signed up for the bounty and we all donated to it and to do something else would really be jerking us around. Maybe somebody else would have picked up the bounty if you hadn't signed up for it. So I don't think you should go off and do some other thing.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »28.07.06 - 00:56
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Marcik
    Well, you are working on probably the most important project for Amiga and Amiga like Os in a Looooong time. It is the most urgently needed application to make Morphos viable. I can't state enough how important it is to have a compatible web browser.

Here's a suggestion:

Release the MOS binary according to the Bounty

magnetic

I donated to the bounty on the assumption that the source would be released. Can anyone confirm whether this is a condition of the bounty or not? In any case, not releasing the sources would be against the spirit of a bounty to port open source software IMO.

Since the bounty is for just the engine and a very simple browser, another option for Marcik is to release the sources for the engine, along with everything necessary to make it work on MOS, but also sell an enhanced closed-source browser.
  • »28.07.06 - 01:04
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:

Hey, what is up with that? I am one of the donators and yeah I do not like that you are talking about possibly doing some other sort of release and not costless MorphOS release. You signed up for the bounty and we all donated to it and to do something else would really be jerking us around. Maybe somebody else would have picked up the bounty if you hadn't signed up for it. So I don't think you should go off and do some other thing.

I agree, especially when the donors have been patient about the deadline having been missed by several months already.
  • »28.07.06 - 01:08
    hooligan
    Quote:

Personally, I would not pay for a browser, not because i don't like your work, but because today a browser is ESSENTIAL for an OS ...

Hopefully not everone think like this.. otherwise IBrowse author wont be happy :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »28.07.06 - 04:38
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Release the MOS binary according to the Bounty

How about giving all donators a free copy, and sell it to others. Sounds like so much more humane to me.
  • »28.07.06 - 04:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    falemagn
    Quote:

I donated to the bounty on the assumption that the source would be released. Can anyone confirm whether this is a condition of the bounty or not?

The bounty description states that the license of the final product is LGPL plus some other parts under BSD, just like the original Gtk+ Webcore license.

Since the bounty is not just about KHTML, but also about a simplistic browser to go along with it, I'd say that the license statament applies to the simplistic browser as well.

I've not donated to be bounty, so someone might complain that I have no say on the matter, however let me express my opinion and suggestions. I do believe that it's Marcik's right to make money on his work, and I do also believe that about $2000 is little money compared to the time spent on the project, however he knew all this before he took upon the bounty, changing his mind now means upsetting lots of people who had trusted him and given him money for the purposes stated in the bounty.

As probably everyone knows, AROS has bounties too, and it has happened in the past that people have resigned from bounties they had taken upon, but when this happens either the bounty becomes open again for anyone else to pick up, or the money gets transferred to some other bounties. So, any of these two options might be a viable choice. Of course, if any of the donors wants his money back, someone's gotta give it to him and pay the paypal fee.
  • »28.07.06 - 06:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    You took on the bounty and the agreement is to release the source to the site in the very least if you read the rules. I would have to insist you at least offer a copy to the people that put something into the bounty. None of them forced you to accept it, and it was granted to you and extended in good faith.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »28.07.06 - 07:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

There were some talks with a few people about changing licensing scheme BUT nothing was decided yet.

Well make up your mind about this FAST then! Even *speculations* about this is damaging the bounty and peoples will to donate.

Chances are you will make a lot more money on the bounty scheme than if you would make your project "commercial". IMHO there is no real market for commercial software on this platform anymore, it's too small. Not even browsers.

The bounty is over $2000 now, and it can get much higher (easily double), when/if there will be some screenshots of the "new" KHTML is released, or even better, some public betas that people can try out themselves.

But that is provided that you cut the crap about changing the license to "commercial" of course. I am quite disappointed that you even *speculate* about this at this point ...

:-(
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.07.06 - 08:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

How about giving all donators a free copy, and sell it to others. Sounds like so much more humane to me.

I believe I have donated $200 to this bounty, and I have always been prepared to double that up. But that is for an *open source* browser, not a closed, commercial browser that others will get for $50 or so ...

The *open source* part is really important here IMHO. It's what's making the difference! It's about long-term guarantee of development. *That* would make a difference to the platform. I am quite disappointed that sonic now considers putting a knife in that back. He should really make up his mind about this, and do it *now*!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.07.06 - 08:10
  • Just looking around
    and what about os4 users like me that has donated (yes.. few euros i know) to the project and that want the sources? :-(

Edit: for KHTML i mean not fo r the browser

[ Edited by afxgroup on 2006/7/28 8:41 ]
  • »28.07.06 - 08:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    There something I don't get...

There's no market anymore on the Amiga (MorphOS)... There are very few people,...

Knowing that, I don't get why people keep asking for money... If money is what you want, why not working on some PC project ? 140 Millions of PCs are sold each year... If you're mainly working for fun, why asking for more money than the amount of the bounty ?

Leo.
    --
    (I know you don't have taken your decision yet... but the simple fact that you're wondering to do it or not is enough...)
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »28.07.06 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    killlbilll
    Quote:

The bounty is over $2000 now, and it can get much higher (easily double), when/if there will be some screenshots of the "new" KHTML is released, or even better, some public betas that people can try out themselves.

I also think people will start donating when they actually tried a beta. I think most people still using MOS is very skeptic that such big projects actually are being completed. I know I am.
    [ pegasos ii / g4 | morphos1.4.4 ]
  • »28.07.06 - 10:37
    hooligan
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

I believe I have donated $200 to this bounty, and I have always been prepared to double that up. But that is for an *open source* browser, not a closed, commercial browser that others will get for $50 or so ...

The *open source* part is really important here IMHO. It's what's making the difference! It's about long-term guarantee of development. *That* would make a difference to the platform. I am quite disappointed that sonic now considers putting a knife in that back. He should really make up his mind about this, and do it *now*!

I know. Was merely suggesting one possible solution, which in my opinion also, is NOT that good. I stand by your side on this, except blaming Sonic was maybe a bit too harsh .. maybe edit your post to point to proper name ;-)

I myself will only donate/register when I can test the product. The bounty itself is pretty clear.. it should be respected.
  • »28.07.06 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

afxgroup wrote:
    and what about os4 users like me that has donated (yes.. few euros i know) to the project and that want the sources? :-(

Edit: for KHTML i mean not fo r the browser

This is exactly why the bounty-scheme was thought over with open source in mind. If this project will go commercial it will be very unfair to people like you.
  • »28.07.06 - 11:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    i think that the ktml part released as open source and the browser released as closed source (or whatever else) should be the best solution. even because the bounty was for the possibility to use the khtml engine in other projects too like YAM or AWEB.

IMHO.. :-(
  • »28.07.06 - 11:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    How about this...

khtml port (preferably as a separate library) and a VERY basic browser, both open source and free.

In addition (later), an advanced commercial browser, which uses the same library.
  • »28.07.06 - 11:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    It's hard to say why I donated. To be honest I donated to keep the project alive. That's all.

Opensource is a way to guarantee that when the developer quits the project still continues.

On the other hand, if the first version (matching all the criterias required in the bounty and working, that is important) is released as open source, and the further updates are released as commercial - well, that is fine with me.

Can't say there are too many projects to spend my money on, so I think I can cope with it. :-)
  • »28.07.06 - 11:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

I am quite disappointed that sonic now considers putting a knife in that back. He should really make up his mind about this, and do it *now*!

Sorry????? :-? :-? :-?
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »28.07.06 - 12:41
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Sonic wrote:

Sorry????? :-? :-? :-?

Chiiiiill... its friday. Got the beers in cold yet? 8-)
  • »28.07.06 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

This is exactly why the bounty-scheme was thought over with open source in mind. If this project will go commercial it will be very unfair to people like you.

From the bounty page:
    Quote:

Licence: LGPL+ (+ means some BSD licensing as well)
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »28.07.06 - 13:32
    hooligan
    Quote:

pixie wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

From the bounty page:
    Quote:

Licence: LGPL+ (+ means some BSD licensing as well)

Ok I should have divided my sentence. With my first comment I meant the whole bounty-system, not this particular bounty. I remember when the bounty-system was suggested and discussed, free sourcecode was an important factor to many people. I don't think the attitude has changed much since.
  • »28.07.06 - 13:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    1. IF (i told it a few times already, that nothing was decided) opensource idea will fail THEN i'd just resing a bounty and no single penny will go for me from bounty donations.
    2. There were talks mostly about pros and contras of opensource developing model, not about f.e. what price should it have, what proffits i'd like, etc.
    3. IF change will be done then firstly i'd like to TALK (saying that i'm jerking you around isn't exactly atitude that I expect in those talks) with donors and try to work-out sollution that could accepted both by me and by donors.
    4. No matter if change will or will not be made, then beta version is still going to be released by the end of summer. And NO deccision will be made before that release.
    5. I'm not laire who, as one of ex-mosteam members said, doesn't need a money to live :-P
  • »28.07.06 - 13:59