• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    bash64,
    Quote:

I have labored over making windows xp run like a bat out of hell using bochs.

Thank you for the infos. i tried earlier boot to xp, but because the 2GB barrier I tred only hirens cds. The result on PB is 24min boot time, I raised the memory for xp to 1GB and it booted about 11min. I knew it can be better but gave up. After the 3.2 release i tried it on G5 2.7Ghz. The result was 7min,
    And i can confirm that the cdrom iso files must be on ram disk. or most of the time it crash. The most annoying thing about that G5 PowerMacs only support 1GB ram now. It is simply not enough.

Now i just reconfigured as you write above. Best boot time is 2.34min which is not bad. I had a client who has a vista machine long ago, that produced the same boot time result...
    Anyway after i erase a ton of services it is quiet usable , Civilization II flies on in, but for example Alpha Centauri runs, but slow.

Another thing:

bash64,
    Quote:

Also, when your done with cds, create a second hard drive and replace the cd entry in the config with the second hard drive (bochs is limited to 2 drives, you cannot have two hard drives and a cdrom) and then tell xp to use the second hard drive for a page file and turn off the page file for drive C.

You can have more drives. Just simply add this line to the cfg file:

ata1: enabled=1, ioaddr1=0x170, ioaddr2=0x370, irq=15

and of course then you can add 2 more unit, which can be cdrom or harddrive etc. for example:

ata0-master: type=disk, path="dh2:emulators/bochs/hdd/c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=auto, heads=16, spt=63
    ata0-slave: type=disk, path="dh2:emulators/bochs/hdd/d.img", mode=flat, cylinders=auto, heads=16, spt=63
    ata1-master: type=disk, path="dh2:emulators/bochs/hdd/f.img", mode=flat, cylinders=auto, heads=16, spt=63
    ata1-slave: type=cdrom, path="ram:alphac.iso", status=inserted, biosdetect=auto, model="Generic 1234"
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »28.08.13 - 00:18