How to get at NAS disk to work with MorphOS?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Hello

I wonder about how to connect MorphOS to a NAS network disk. Is there a way to configure Samba towards it? Or I am stuck with FTP as the only alternative?
  • »10.07.12 - 09:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I have a NAS and use SMBFS which works great. You will need to used the latest 68k version.

For further see: Here
  • »10.07.12 - 12:43
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    I´ve read through that thread and im still confused as to access my NAS shares, I have no problems getting in via ftp but really need them to be active as drives. Could you explain it too me how you set it up? im a really new morphos user and really enjoying it so far, the only thing stoping me from purchasing morphOS is the problem im having getting in to my NAS
  • »20.07.12 - 15:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    Download SMBFS from aminet: http://aminet.net/search.php?query=smbfs-68k
    and copy smbfs to e.g. C:
    I have a separate script file that I launch when needed:

smbfs user=**** workgroup=YOURWORKGROUP service=//SERVER/share/ password=******* VOLUME=VOLUMENAME:

If you want to have the share accessible always, you can have the script file in your wbstartup drawer.
  • »20.07.12 - 16:26
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    hey that worked actually. how do I make it too a script? sorry for stupid questions, im completely new to morphOS
  • »20.07.12 - 18:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Just put the line into a text file :D

Use Ambient to set the "s" flag, You also can add an icon and place the script into ambient panel for easy access.

Geit
  • »20.07.12 - 18:30
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    I saved it as a text file, then clicked information and checked for script and then moved the file into the startup folder, yet it doesnt mount at start up, only when i double click it. what am I doing wrong ?
  • »21.07.12 - 14:00
    boot_wb
    Nothing too complicated.

You need to give it an icon, change it to a 'project' and give it the default tool c:icon:x .

Open a shell and type copy sys:morphos.readme.info "sys:wbstartup/YOURSCRIPTNAME.info"

This should create an icon for your script file.

Now right-click on your script and select 'information'.

Change 'tool' to 'project'.
    Put 'c:iconx' into the 'default tool' box.
    click save.

The reason being that scripts need to be opened with 'execute SCRIPTNAME' (or 'iconx') whereas the programs started from wbstartup are opened using 'run PROGRAMNAME'. It's the same as trying to start a command-line tool from the workbench by double-clicking it. This modification gets around that problem.

[ Edited by boot_wb 21.07.2012 - 14:06 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »21.07.12 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    sonter,
    Quote:

I saved it as a text file, then clicked information and checked for script and then moved the file into the startup folder, yet it doesnt mount at start up, only when i double click it. what am I doing wrong ?

The problem is that the network is not up, at the time the script gets launched during boot.

Solution:
    Add a

DONOTWAIT

line as tooltype (same window where you set the script flag). This avoids the boot process is waiting for the script to finish.

Also add

WaitForPort NETSTACK

as first line to the script. This will make the script wait until the network in online.

Geit
  • »21.07.12 - 15:18
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    I tried Geit´s solution since that seemed easiest, however I cant find where to put the DONOTWAIT line? in the information window there is only a Add comment box
  • »21.07.12 - 17:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Exacly in that box, press ADD and enter DONOTWAIT into the input field next to it.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 21.07.2012 - 20:14 ]
  • »21.07.12 - 20:11
    boot_wb
    You'll need to add an icon (.info file) before tooltypes can be added.

If your file has no icon, the only entry field available in the information window is for file comments.

Open a shell (Right click>Ambient>New shell) and type:

copy sys:morphos.readme.info "sys:wbstartup/YOURSCRIPTNAME.info"

(replacing YOURSCRIPTNAME, obviously)

you'll then be able to add tooltypes (you'll need to mark it as a script again in the information window also).
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »21.07.12 - 20:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    Brilliant, my NAS is now up and running from boot. Thanks for the help guys
  • »22.07.12 - 13:18
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    sorry for kicking alive an old thread again, but I have now since added a wifi pcmica card, and my drive no longer mounts on start up, Im not sure why since it seems all other network options works as before,

any ideas?

forgot to say, the script still works fine if I run it manually, its just at boot it wont connect to the samba share anymore

[ Edited by sonter 08.06.2013 - 12:47 ]
  • »08.06.13 - 11:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    I have this NAS that I mount on my dreambox (linux) using this script:

mount -t cifs -o rw,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,username=user,password=pass "//192.168.1.137/GoFlex Home Public" /media/hdd

I tried the smbfs command, but it says unknown host:
    smbfs user=user workgroup=SEAGATEGROUP service="//192.168.1.137/GoFlex Home Public/" password=pass VOLUME=Test:
    smbfs: Unknown host '192.168.1.137' (1, Error 0).

I tried various parameters for service, with or without using the ip adress, but still the same error.

Any idea what I do wrong?
  • »08.06.13 - 17:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    That's the EXACT NAS I have. Trying to do the same thing.
  • »08.06.13 - 17:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    TheMagicM,
    Quote:

That's the EXACT NAS I have. Trying to do the same thing.

Let me know if you find a way to mount it on MorphOS

Its a good disk, but I had some stating troubles though.
    First I did connect it and tried to use FTP to transfer the content from my 500GB WD USB disk. There was about 450GB of data on the disk, but before transfering half of this, the GoFlex ran out of space. Also I was unable to delete certain folders on the drive after this.
    Then I tried to format the drive uising the webinterface. But this reported an error, failed to format the disk. After this the disk was unreadable, so I had to dismantle the hdd in order to connect it to a SATA interface on a pc. (standard SATA connectors wont fit directly because of the casing gets in the way). This was an xp pc, so it after formatting it, my 3TB disk was now only 750GB. Then I downloaded some files to extend xp to support up to 2TB. So now I only have 2TB of my 3TB disk available, since I didnt have a vista/win7/8 pc with sata available at the time.

The disk works fine as a hdd for my dreambox, and as a network mounted drive on my xp and win8 pc. Also my DAB/Network-radio detects the drive out of the box and plays audio from it. My raspberryPi (xbmc) mounts it and works great with the drive. So all in all I'm quite pleased with it.
    My only complaint is the format utility from the webinterface.
  • »08.06.13 - 18:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    @amyren
    did you add the adress of the NAS to the host list -> MorphOS preferences - Hosts
  • »08.06.13 - 19:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Ok..I did a test scenario..

I created a SAMBA share (smb) on my server..mapped it just fine..

Then I started looking at the GoFlex...well, I dont have SAMBA as a option, its cifs. Two different things and thats why I believe its not working. SMB protocol and cifs are two different things.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 08.06.2013 - 19:44 ]
  • »09.06.13 - 01:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    Back to the question in hand, which is mounting the samba share at boot. The line WaitForPort NETSTACK worked fine before I added the Wifi card, but afterwards the script failes. I assume its because it no longer waits until the network is up and running. script works fine once i run it myself manually.

[ Edited by sonter 09.06.2013 - 10:16 ]
  • »09.06.13 - 09:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I dont have SAMBA as a option, its cifs. Two different things and thats why
    > I believe its not working. SMB protocol and cifs are two different things.

Not quite true. CIFS is a superset of SMB (which makes SMB a subset of CIFS). This means that in theory (i.e. if correctly implemented), the entire SMB protocol should be included in any CIFS implementation. So connecting with an SMB client to a CIFS server *should* work. In real life however, we know that there can even be compatibility issues between different SMB implementations.

"Microsoft launched an initiative in 1996 to rename SMB to Common Internet File System (CIFS), and added more features, including support for symbolic links, hard links, larger file sizes, and an initial attempt at supporting direct connections over TCP port 445 without requiring NetBIOS as a transport (a largely experimental effort that required further refinement)."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#History
  • »09.06.13 - 09:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

sonter wrote:
    Back to the question in hand, which is mounting the samba share at boot. The line WaitForPort NETSTACK worked fine before I added the Wifi card, but afterwards the script failes. I assume its because it no longer waits until the network is up and running. script works fine once i run it myself manually.

Your stack is up at that stage but you are not yet online with the wifi card. You could try waiting for WLANMNGR_GLOBAL instead but I'm not sure if this will be enough either. The safest would probably be to ask the stack if you have a connection to your NAS or router (this can be done via the ARexx interface)
  • »09.06.13 - 11:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Not quite true. CIFS is a superset of SMB (which makes SMB a subset of CIFS).

theoretically it should work..why its not, I dunno. I know that I have a SMB share on my server and I can map it, but this Seagate GoFlex I cannot. Strange.
  • »09.06.13 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Is there a way to NOT have IconX pop up when clicking on this script? Like a "/quiet" option so I dont see the window?
  • »09.06.13 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    sonter
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

sonter wrote:

Your stack is up at that stage but you are not yet online with the wifi card. You could try waiting for WLANMNGR_GLOBAL instead but I'm not sure if this will be enough either. The safest would probably be to ask the stack if you have a connection to your NAS or router (this can be done via the ARexx interface)

Im a bit of a beginner on MorphOS so im not quite sure what the ARexx interface is? a quick search through Grunch told me it was installed though

Adding the line WaitForPort WLANMNGR_GLOBAL didnt help either

[ Edited by sonter 09.06.2013 - 15:44 ]
  • »09.06.13 - 14:14