What you think...
    Miky060
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

@pega-1
    Quote:

Currently, it looks like betatesting will delay release into early 2012, unfortunately. So better don't hold your breath for a release next week ...

That's OK with me. Better to test it thoroughly and release a good quality product than releasing some untested crap that borks your system and force you to downgrade to earlier versions (like the "competition" has a habit of doing).

I agree with this theory too, but it was intended that for december the 3.0 should have "already" been long tested since times and released. At the end of the story we're wayting for it for a year and at a certain point it SEEMED it was to be released (at that time it was still called "2.8") at this summer, than it was explained it would have happened after the summer and than officially stated it would have been released this year but not before December. Now, "IF" wayting more means that we'll have also other important stuff that many of us are waiting for (like 3D for Radeon9700) so it's ok for me too. But if it does mean that we will have in 2012 just what we were expecting for december 2011 I'm not so happy if I have to be sincere.
    Don't kill me to say what I think, this does not mean that I do not have respect for all the big efforts and work that MorphOS developers do, they are my heroes, and I am grateful to them to give us of the best OSes around. I'm just a bit disappointed for this delay (..that is also announced only now, few days before the end of December..)
    I am also still convinced about what I already said: they lost an opportunity to do much money "soon" with the new registrations: on Christmas Holidays people are much more available to spend money than "after holidays", I hope you understand what I mean.. Registrations will come for sure even in 2012 but IN MY OPINION it will be a slower process.
    Good work to Mos Team and happy holydays to all.

[ Edited by Miky060 22.12.2011 - 14:38 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »22.12.11 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @Miky060

I invite you to re-read this morphzone posts. This was some sort of announcement/wishlist but no release date was set in stone and published.
    I'm really sorry if you imagined MorphOS 3.0 would be your christmas present. And I believe cyfm was right to notice these wishful thinking and stop them as early as possible.

About the money part... well, what can I say except probably nobody thought about this point... I guess I can speak for the team by telling this is not what is driving MorphOS development.

On the same topic, I think I also read somebody/somewhere believing 3.0 will come with G5 support or some other giant thing which was not announced... This clearly won't happen and, as announced, there was absolutly zero work done on G5 support for a long time.
  • »22.12.11 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @Miky060

I understand your frustration and I am also part of that problem atm. Due to some unfortunate events I could'nt predict I can't use my MorphOS development machines now and commit any work to MorphOS for a while. That is, someone else must finish my work when I am away from development.

It is frustrating to me also since I planned to fix SDL and release it ASAP but it has to wait, too.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »22.12.11 - 19:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ itix

Shit happens...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.12.11 - 20:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I was waiting for December release but I prefer waiting few more weeks or months to have propely polished and ready to go product so imo: go MorphOS Team :) We can wait few more days.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »22.12.11 - 20:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Henes,
    Quote:

About the money part... well, what can I say except probably nobody thought about this point... I guess I can speak for the team by telling this is not what is driving MorphOS development.

I perfectly know that money is not what drive you all. You can't gain so much money with MOS development to live with it. I TOTALLY appreciate your efforts and dedication to MorphOS development. At the same time I think that if the 3.0 would have been released at December you would have gained many registrations 'cause people on Christams is more available to spend money and usually have some more bucks in their wallets and I would be happy for you all, because I believe you deserve our money! I hope you understand what I say.

Henes,
    Quote:

On the same topic, I think I also read somebody/somewhere believing 3.0 will come with G5 support or some other giant thing which was not announced...

Not me.
    I perfectly know that (and this is sad in MY POINT OF VIEW) that really few/zero development has been done on G5 support

I hope that writing our own opinions about some topics (like "I am not happy that the 3.0 will not be out before the end of 2011") will not make us (me in this case) a bad boy. Maybe saying "if you need more time for me it's perfectly ok" "take all the time you need, I'm ok with the 2.7" is more popular and nice, but if they are not my thoughts I can't say this even it can make me unpleasant. This not mean I do have not respect in your work, I'm just disappointed by this news and a bit sad. I'll live the same and I'll continue to appreciate MorphOS developers efforts :-)

@itix
    I don't know your problems and I'm sincerely sorry for it. I really hope you'll solve your issues soon.

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »22.12.11 - 20:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Most people around the Holidays (Christmas if they celebrate it) have less money to spend on their own hobbies, as they have spent their money on family and friends for presents. So I strongly disagree that the MorphOS Team has missed any opportunity.

As for being disappointed and expecting more work to be done, such as work on the 3D drivers for the Radeon 9700 inside the G4 PowerBooks, that is not realistic. That is like assuming that the delay is for some other reason than the fact that work on the original items to be included in 3.0 is not finished. Unless of course the person(s) working on the 3D drivers are not needed for the remaining work on other items that need finishing prior to MorphOS3.0 being released, then perhaps there is a chance that the 3D drivers can be completed along side the completion of any other items in 3.0 that need polishing before MorphOS3.0 can be released.

Be patient, if there is a delay in the release of MorphOS3.0, there is also a good reason for it. One of the strengths of the MorphOS Dev. Team is that they do not release buggy, unfinished versions (though no OS release from anyone is perfect and without need of some fixes).

As someone who was fortunate enough to be allowed to show a beta version of MorphOS3.0 on my G4 PowerBook's, I can confirm that more work on it was required before it could be released to the general public. The version I received in October was very good, but still needed the final polishing to make it ready for release.

Be patient and remember the MorphOS Dev. Team has made good choices in all of their previous releases and will not change their course now.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.12.11 - 21:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    pega-1,

Thanks for the update.
  • »22.12.11 - 22:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > no release date was set in stone and published.

That has been my impression as well but 9 days ago MorphOS Team member Krashan said to my surprise that the 2011 release date had been officially stated:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=8209&start=61
  • »22.12.11 - 22:56
    stephen_robinson
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

> no release date was set in stone and published.

That has been my impression as well but 9 days ago MorphOS Team member Krashan said to my surprise that the 2011 release date had been officially stated:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34751&forum=46#642667

Fixed it for you.
  • »22.12.11 - 23:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Fixed it for you.

A "fix" that distracts from the fact that it was already addressed in this very thread, which is a point I was attempting to make.
  • »22.12.11 - 23:27
    osco
    Hyperion continues its tradition to provide regular free updates of AmigaOS 4.1 and with the festive season just days away, this is a particularly appropriate time for a free update. :-P
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »23.12.11 - 22:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Thanks for the update. If there is one thing that I have noticed about MorphOS and its developers, it is solid and stable software. So beta testing obviously important part of this. I was an Efika user back in the 2.0 days. I look forward to 3.0 and registering a Mac laptop soon.
  • »24.12.11 - 01:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Rodomoc,
    Quote:

If there is one thing that I have noticed about MorphOS and its developers, it is solid and stable software. So beta testing obviously important part of this.

same opinion as you
  • »24.12.11 - 23:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DanicaTalos
    MOS 3.0 ... MOS 3.0 ... MOS 3.0 ... :bloons:
    iBook G4 - 14" -1,42 GHz - 32MB VRAM - 1,5GB RAM - 60GB mSata - MorphOS 3.18
  • »31.12.11 - 09:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    stephen_robinson,
    Quote:

Fixed it for you.

Thanks! :-)
  • »31.12.11 - 13:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Quote:

If there is one thing that I have noticed about MorphOS and its developers, it is solid and stable software. So beta testing obviously important part of this.
    same opinion as you

+1
  • »31.12.11 - 13:06
    stephen_robinson
    Just a couple more hours and it'll be first quarter 2012, and we can start asking about the release again!

Hurrah!

People in Australia and NZ can start now!

yah!
  • »31.12.11 - 14:12
    osco
    There are TWO powerbooks that are acting real anxious. I get a slight shock when I tap on their keyboards. I think they want to talk to the developers and give them a piece of their CPU's. They are crying big time.

KRANK in Boston :-D
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
  • »31.12.11 - 15:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @all

Theres no problem with release of 3.0 today, next week, next month... devs have their lifes too and more on xmas holidays, to make discussions of it, is a less of time believe me... i like the silence of this forum, enjoy 2,7 and have fun.

Happy new year! with or without 3.0

[ Edited by kickstart 31.12.2011 - 15:49 ]
  • »31.12.11 - 16:47
    osco
    @ KICKSTART,

Do you have a Powerbook?

No?
    Yes?
    When you say NO problem, me thinks that you answered to "No" in the above question.
    Please reply
    Thank_you :-D

NOT A HAPPY NEW YEAR WITHOUT 3.0

[ Edited by osco 31.12.2011 - 11:01 ]
  • »31.12.11 - 16:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @osco

NO

Seems that you need 3.0 for survive, you can cry in silence... posting like this dont release 3.0 sooner.
  • »31.12.11 - 17:07
    osco
    I have a need for mobility to flourish. The developers recognized that need.
    Yes, the MacMini and MorphOS have served me very well as you. A child cries but I am sobbing :-x

Baby no cry no milk 8-)
  • »31.12.11 - 17:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    Posting in threads like this one is a way of releasing tension and not meant to put pressure on the devs or spread negative vibes, I am sure.

So: I have a poor and at the moment relatively useless powerbook here, too. ;-)
  • »31.12.11 - 18:00
    Kronos
    No prob, just send it to me and I have it morphified in a matter of hours :-D
    Even got a spare WLAN-card at hand so I can carry it around my flat !!

What ?? You want me to send it back to you ??? I'm quite positive that wasn't part of our deal !! :angel:
  • »31.12.11 - 22:01