MorphOS 2.8 confirmed features
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Unlike you i'm able to admit i'm wrong.

Where did you admit you were wrong? Did that posting get lost somehow?

> And i'm glad I am.

I'm glad as well that you've been wrong, else it would have been me ;-)

> did you ever take my advice and actually go outside and
    > get some air, and maybe perhaps talk to a girl or even
    > touch one?

Sorry, I'm not going to discuss my private life with you, not even via PM. So I'm afraid you have to get your sexual arousal elsewhere.

> but wait robots are asexual no?

I think they're as asexual as schizos :-P
  • »03.08.11 - 23:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    I suggest you look up the word schizophrenia my friend. And thank the good Lord above I dont know about your "sexuality" - if you call getting in online pron sessions in between spam posting mz and playing Knights and Merchants a sex life,..., :lol: Enough OT garbage and spamming...

back to the topic.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »04.08.11 - 00:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I suggest you look up the word schizophrenia

I'll do after you do same with the word 'robot'. I think that's a fair deal, isn't it?

> thank the good Lord above I dont know about your "sexuality"

Well, while I don't believe in any Lord above I find it strange that you want to know about me "touching a girl" only to declare directly after that you don't want to know about my sexuality. Makes me wonder about that word you say I should look up again.

> if you call getting in online pron sessions in between
    > spam posting mz and playing Knights and Merchants a sex life

You talked about me "touching a girl", remember? Or is it Alzheimer's now? Btw, I never ever played K&M in my life ;-)

> Enough OT garbage and spamming...

I have some doubts that you can actually stop producing that :-)

P.S. Where was it again that you admitted you were wrong? That posting is still not online it seems.
  • »04.08.11 - 00:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I can see that nothing has changed here (or on any of the other Amiga related forum sites) while I was gone, working in Hawaii for the past 4-1/2 weeks with no Internet connection (and no TV).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.08.11 - 04:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Ladies, can't the two of you get a room and get rid of all this tension is an appropriate and healthy manner?
  • »04.08.11 - 07:10
    boot_wb
    stephen_robinson,

+1
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »04.08.11 - 08:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    Should we call the kindergarten cop ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »04.08.11 - 09:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @magnetic

Quote:

but wait robots are asexual no?

wrong
  • »04.08.11 - 12:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Asexual robots and Andreas' personal life, wow this thread is deteriorating.
    On the other hand, PB support in 2.8 is a welcome feature and I'll finally be able to use an R300 in my Quicksilver (hopefully).

SCSI, SATA, and Powerbooks - Very Cool!
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.08.11 - 00:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Jim

Yeah 2.8 is great for mac hw users lol... I'd rather see more OS features and ports (java, flash, cairo hw accel, office apps, etc etc)

the thread deteriorates when a certain individual has taken a rivalry against me and post stalks me. Its weird cuz i've never seen a bot on mz until now.

/me misses Guadie
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »06.08.11 - 01:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the thread deteriorates when

...a certain individual decided to switch off his brain and post this using the usual foul language he is well known for:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7960&start=20

> a certain individual has taken a rivalry against me and post stalks me.

I guess another certain individual not only suffers from schizophrenia and Alzheimer's but also from paranoia.

> Its weird cuz i've never seen a bot on mz until now.

The only thing weird here is your use of the word "now" when in fact you've been talking about that alleged bot on MZ for many months.

Btw, the posting where you admitted you were wrong is *still* not online. Maybe the mods here delete it immediately each time you desperately try to post it?
  • »06.08.11 - 02:01
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    cheesegrate
    magnetics points are v valid

surely there is enough talent in the mos dev commujnity to evolve the outdated amigaos ui.
    an expose like function is a kickass feature
  • »06.08.11 - 04:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Yeah 2.8 is great for mac hw users lol... I'd rather see more OS features and ports (java, flash, cairo hw accel, office apps, etc etc)

Java and Flash are closed/proprietary products that are difficult to emulate. An office package would be nice (heck I'd settle for a good word processor).
    Some form of acceleration would be useful, but I'm not sure about Cairo.
    More complete support of OpenGL would also be a bonus.
  • »08.08.11 - 00:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Java and Flash are closed/proprietary products that are
    > difficult to emulate.

Seems you've missed some things. SUN's Java was open sourced as long as 4 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea
    http://openjdk.java.net
    http://icedtea.classpath.org

And Adobe's Flash, while not being open sourced, got most if its specs published starting 3 years ago, which has helped projects like Gnash and Lightspark evolve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#Open_Screen_Project
    http://www.openscreenproject.org
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7395&forum=11&start=8

Regarding Java for AmigaOS/MorphOS:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7137&forum=9&start=12
    http://jamiga2.blogspot.com/2011/07/jamiga-team.html (from 3 weeks ago)
  • »08.08.11 - 01:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    No Andreas, I wasn't aware that they had opened up Java. That's great news. Its a bit messy, but useful.

(...just checked out the jamiga2 site. Looks more then a little rough).

Flash, on the other hand, well I haven't seen a really good clone of it yet.

There was one floating around for 64bit OS' a while back, but for some reason it got pull (thought I had a copy archived somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it).

I still don't understand why we don't have a fairly good word processor. This is not a demanding type of app. I've been using them for decades.
  • »08.08.11 - 01:55
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @Jim

Just FYI, a Flash plugin based on swfdec is available on MorphOS. It's roughly equivalent to Gnash in terms of speed and compatibility (sometimes better, sometimes worse). The main drawback is it's not developed anymore, but in the current state, Gnash wouldn't give better results.
  • »08.08.11 - 02:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > That's great news.

Rather "olds" ;-)

> Its a bit messy

How so?

> There was one floating around for 64bit OS' a while back

Adobe Flash has been officially available as 64-bit since September 2010 (and experimental version since November 2008):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#64-bit_support

> I still don't understand why we don't have a fairly good
    > word processor. This is not a demanding type of app. I've
    > been using them for decades.

Yes, using such application is certainly less demanding than creating it ;-)
  • »08.08.11 - 02:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > swfdec is [...] roughly equivalent to Gnash in terms of [...] compatibility [...]
    > in the current state, Gnash wouldn't give better results.

The last Swfdec version is 0.8.4 from December 2008. Since then, Gnash went from 0.8.4 (what a coincidence) to 0.8.9 in March 2011. I can't really believe that Gnash hasn't generally improved in compatibility over the stalled Swfdec project.
    Btw, what about replacing Swfdec by Lightspark? Still an option? It seems Lightspark and Gnash go hand in hand these days with Lightspark executing ActionScript 3 and falling back to Gnash for execution of ActionScript 1 and 2.
  • »08.08.11 - 03:08
    Crumb
    Quote:

Yeah 2.8 is great for mac hw users lol... I'd rather see more OS features and ports (java, flash, cairo hw accel, office apps, etc etc)

I don't. MorphOS is not a Linux distro that fills 8GB of your HD with all sort of apps the user may not need. Web Browser is included, the user could download what he needs from internet. It's not mandatory that MOS-Team produces all the apps you want, these can be done by 3rd party authors.

Cairo would be nice for OWB but I don't see that happenning anytime soon

Office??? that should not come with the operating system.

Both Java and Flash suck. Java apps are badly integrated, eat tons of ram and are slow (and even slower without JIT). Flash is both slow and propietary and MOS-Team shouldn't waste a minute of their time reverse engineering it. You have sucky projects like Gnash that take care of that

Having a PowerBook version is much more important for a lot of users because there's no mobile MorphOS machine right now. G5 support would be nice although it's less prioritary IMHO.

If you want apps learn to code or if you know how to code start coding. It's not MorphOS-Team task to create all sort of apps. They provide the basis to build apps, they don't have to provide an OS suite.
  • »08.08.11 - 08:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    You're right about that. Unfortunatly it makes you wonder who actually is going to write usefull software anytime soon.

• »08.08.11 - 08:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Flash is [...] propietary and MOS-Team shouldn't waste a minute of their time
    > reverse engineering it. You have sucky projects like Gnash that take care of that

I think by wishing for a port of Flash he didn't mean the MorphOS Team to reverse engineer the original Adobe Flash but instead "just" port already reverse engineered projects like Gnash and Lightspark, in a way Fab did already with old Swfdec. If he really meant what you think he did though I'd second your objection that this would be an outright silly waste of resources.
  • »08.08.11 - 08:41
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

The last Swfdec version is 0.8.4 from December 2008. Since then, Gnash went from 0.8.4 (what a coincidence) to 0.8.9 in March 2011. I can't really believe that Gnash hasn't generally improved in compatibility over the stalled Swfdec project.
    Btw, what about replacing Swfdec by Lightspark? Still an option? It seems Lightspark and Gnash go hand in hand these days with Lightspark executing ActionScript 3 and falling back to Gnash for execution of ActionScript 1 and 2.

Well, Gnash has evolved rather slowly, and it also had to catch up with swfdec in the first place. As it is now, Gnash support is still not very convincing (as i said, some things will run in Gnash and not in swfdec, and vice versa).

As for lightspark, it's much more promising, but it also relies on recent OpenGL features like shaders, buffer and so on to work (which explains why it's faster, along with its JIT). I actually had a look at lightspark sources, and besides this blocking GL issue, it would look quite portable. But imo, it's not worth porting until lightspark supports older flash correctly as well, because the fallback to gnash thing is quite messy.
  • »08.08.11 - 09:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > lightspark [...] relies on recent OpenGL features like shaders, buffer and so
    > on to work [...]. I actually had a look at lightspark sources, and besides this
    > blocking GL issue, it would look quite portable. But imo, it's not worth porting
    > until lightspark supports older flash correctly as well, because the fallback to
    > gnash thing is quite messy.

Thanks for explanation.
  • »08.08.11 - 10:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, this thread has been most educational.

For example, I wasn't aware of the fact that while 32-bit Flash was included in most Linux distros it could be replaced by 64-bit Flash by the users (until Andreas posted his links). And until Fab explained why Flash support hadn't been updated, I was not aware that incorporating newer code (like lightspark) would be so problematic.

That only leaves improved OpenGL support and a word processor (on my wish list)

One quick question.
    Will MOS2.8 be able to boot from SCSI or SATA controllers or will these drive only work after booting from PATA?

[ Edited by Jim 08.08.2011 - 18:51 ]
  • »08.08.11 - 17:18
    Simon
    I also want to like to know more about SATA support. I understood well, MorhpOS on Powermac wouldn't even work with one of these cards installed ? Or can I already use such a card now with MacOSX on it ?

Reason I ask is that I want to learn more about MacOSX before I buy an Intel one and replace my now 6 years old windowsXP box that doesn't want to run windows7 because a certain nvidia chipset isn't supported ( it already wasn't in Vista ). So it would be fine I can put Leopard on a SATA drive without touching the drives I use for MorphOS.

• »08.08.11 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website