Simon
    Oh and I need a name for it.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »21.01.11 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I'll be glad to proof read it and make any corrections to the English grammar & punctuation, if needed.

I will also think about a title for it.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.01.11 - 05:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes. I'd be willing to look it over as well. I 'm slow accumulating the parts for my system , so I'd like to see how we're going to word this offer.Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I'll be glad to proof read it and make any corrections to the English grammar & punctuation, if needed.

I will also think about a title for it.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.01.11 - 21:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Still writing on it, but shouldn't take to long anymore.

• »24.01.11 - 09:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Looks like I'm might have the first unit to donate to a developer.
    Its a 933 Mhz Quicksilver with a Radeon 9200, Sound blaster Live and an Nec based USB 2.0 card. Currently I have no keyboard or mouse fir it.
    And I would appreciate ant input as to the text for the announcement.

As help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
  • »25.01.11 - 00:26
    Simon
    Well I guess anyone with programming skills does have a keyboard and mouse for himself ... I shouldn't worry about that.

• »25.01.11 - 05:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    C64Days
    I'm one of the most prolific in porting progs to Morphos, but I'm still stuck with 1.4.5 (and its devkit) and no way I would spend that much on a 2.x licence, think about it ;).
  • »26.01.11 - 12:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

C64Days wrote:
    I'm one of the most prolific in porting progs to Morphos, but I'm still stuck with 1.4.5 (and its devkit) and no way I would spend that much on a 2.x licence, think about it ;).

What have you ported. What are you using to port (obviously an Amiga with a PPC accelerator if you are using 1.4.5). And finally, if we sent you a Mac with 2.7 on it, what projects could you undertake that would be of benefit to the community?
  • »26.01.11 - 14:53
    Golem
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    What have you ported. What are you using to port (obviously an Amiga with a PPC accelerator if you are using 1.4.5). And finally, if we sent you a Mac with 2.7 on it, what projects could you undertake that would be of benefit to the community?

There are still some Pegasos users sticking with 1.4.5 for whatever reason, you can have a look on Aminet for the software he ported/compiled. I would think any developer machines being donated should probably aim a bit higher.
  • »26.01.11 - 16:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks, I'd think so too. I was hoping we could attract developers that could create original code rather than porting existing code.

Do you have any ideas where we can solicit such people Golem?

I've got parts on order and I'd like to forge ahead.
  • »26.01.11 - 16:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Why won't you spend the 111 euro's for a MorphOS2.x license?

As a software developer, don't you think that the MorphOS Development Team deserves to be paid for their time and work on the MorphOS project that they have been improving for the past 10 years?

Or are you one of the people that believe that all programming/coding should be free and/or open source on and for a system that is only considered a "Hobby" platform?

I am curious about what your reason(s) might be.
  • »26.01.11 - 17:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I don't know his reason but my reason is that I'm primarily an AROSer at this point. I have more time to donate than money. I'm an out-of-work software developer taking on a bounty.

My current projects are MUI/Zune based though and may work on MorphOS if I can get it to compile in the half-hour my unregged PowerMac has.
  • »26.01.11 - 19:00
    ausPPC
    If the recipient(s) is willing, why not use bounty / hardware buying money to fund MorphOS licenses if that's an issue for them?

As for paid vs free software, I would have thought the developers being offered hardware were developing free software - reason being, if they're developing for money, surely they can satisfy their own needs for hardware / licenses etc. But either way!
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »26.01.11 - 19:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

C64Days schrieb:

Well, what's better: Spend the EUR and enjoy, or grumble for about 2,5 years to save the 111.11 EUR? If you had bought the license on day 1 (30th June 2008), it would have been 3.58 EUR/month (111.11 EUR/31 months) since then. Is that really worth all the hassle?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.01.11 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    well, you can also use unregistered mos 2 for 30 minutes...

bye, MarK.
  • »27.01.11 - 06:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I don't know his reason but my reason is that I'm primarily an AROSer at this point. I have more time to donate than money. I'm an out-of-work software developer taking on a bounty.

My current projects are MUI/Zune based though and may work on MorphOS if I can get it to compile in the half-hour my unregged PowerMac has.

I didn't ask because I wanted to discourage, or put down any developer for not buying a MorphOS license yet, but it does matter to me if a developer claims to be a regular MorphOS1.4 user and developer of MorphOS applications/games, but has not bought a license yet because he has some problem with the MorphOS Dev. Team. If it is just a matter of money being too scarce, I can understand. But if it is because the person is still harboring a dislike for the Team because they switched to a commercial release model, instead of continuing to give MorphOS away for free, then I would hesitate to donate any gear to such a person.

I have no problem giving Samurai_Crow careful consideration as a potential recipient of a free system (though he only needs a license and not another unregistered system), if he wishes to receive one and truly believes that he would use it to develop MorphOS native applications/games.

Determining who gets free gear to develop MorphOS apps/games is obviously a difficult thing to do and I suggest that anyone considering to donate any gear, or license, think carefully and gather as much information about the person receiving any donations, before any decisions are made, to lessen the chance of regrets and hard feelings later.
  • »28.01.11 - 00:43
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    C64Days
    I have a Peg2 and no grudge against dev team (thumbs up for 2.x). What would you get from me should I be entitled to a free licence basically boils down to: 1) my portings tested on your same MOS release; 2) a good share of those porting not compiling due to issues with GCC 2.95.3 finally released; 3) *maybe* something native. If someone makes you a better offer feel free to pick it up.
  • »29.01.11 - 19:01
    Kronos
    @C64Days

Well given us mortals some hints on what those ports actually are might be helpfull.
  • »29.01.11 - 20:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > given us mortals some hints on what those ports actually are might be helpfull.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7691&forum=3&post_id=81330#81330

(that's not including the ones currently not compiling, of course)
  • »29.01.11 - 20:45
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    At first nothing, and now several proposals. And some of them sound pretty good.
    I have to thank Oepabakkes for coming up with this idea and the MorphOS development team for considering it.

It's beginning to look like a promising way of attracting new talent.
  • »29.01.11 - 22:07