• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I would suggest tehm to try to build a sub 100 EUR board around
    > the APM 801xx. That chip is dirtiest cheap

While the chip is cheap I don't think that ACube would be economically able to build a sub 100 EUR board with it. The 440EP and 460EX are just not expensive enough to support your reasoning.

Yes, Acube are not yet known for sane prices. But with some courage and a sub 100 design would be possible with the APM 801xx.
    Quote:

Maybe the 821xx at about 10 USD extra per chip would be more suited. That wouldn't lead to a sub 100 EUR board either but would have much more bang for only very little more buck than a 801xx based board ;-)

> and delivers at 800 MHz a little more power (about 1.5 times MIPS wise) than the
    > e300 @ 400MHz.

Yes, 1.6 times the DMIPS value to be precise. And the 821xx @ 1.0 GHz delivers 2.6 times the DMIPS value of the e300 @ 400 MHz (and 1.6 times the DMIPS value of the 801xx @ 800 MHz).

At least the 821xx could result in a smarter solution than the coming 460 board (which is insanely expensive and has some severe limitations).
    Quote:

> From the specs a nice chip for ultra low price / lowest wattage / low end applications.

In an AmigaOS/MorphOS context I think the presence of an FPU is mandatory. Does it have one?

Ouch - it seems to be absent (405 core in the schematics, no dedicated fpu ploted). But haven't read too much about the 801xx yet. The tech documentation is not published yet (announced for September). But given teh low price I guess they discarded everything that is not necessary for their target market and a fpu is not needed everywhere, so it seems likely they left it out.
    Quote:

Btw, would you please take a look at this?

Well, I think I read it in a Freescale newsletter, but I am not too sure any more. I think there is something like the e5500 a 64 bit core derived from e500 for QorIQ in the pipeline, but no e700 (which would AFAIK a 64 bit derivate from the e600) . But I cannot provide valid links now.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »22.06.10 - 02:58
    Profile Visit Website