• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Originally in Workbench 1.x you couldn't just delete files, you had to drag them to the trashcan and then empty the trashcan. There was no 'delete' option at all. That's put people off the trashcan for a long time.

Oh, was it so? :) I don't remember using trashcan for its intended use ever... even with floppy based A500/KS1.3 I already did use DOpus for all filemanagement and it did have the direct delete button. I just remember that I used trashcan to have some temp files at early A1200 times, but never emptied it :P

Yeah, the trashcan was pretty useless come KS2.x (or with a file manager), since things didn't automatically go there when deleted. Thomas Richter had a freeware tool called FTrash, which patched the OS to send things to trashcan when deleted by anything in the system. It even changed the icon to show a "bulging" trashcan when you had files in it.

Both the original implementation and FTrash both had the same major problem: files in it weren't actually deleted, and so still took up space. If for instance you used an xpk compressor with FTrash, you ended up with original file and temp file(s). Quickly the HD would fill up with temp files from everything. The original trashcan didn't store temp files but actually dragging anything to it was too much of a pain.

That's why SFS .recycled is better. It keeps everything, but it's not counted towards free space. And it "automatically" deletes stuff when the space is needed elsewhere. So it's not totally like the Windows Recycle Bin, because it doesn't keep stuff until you empty it, but it's more transparent.

(Edit: The Windows Recycle Bin can be set to fill up to a percent of your total HD space. I forgot because I have a 6 TB raid and haven't emptied the thing in years.)

[ Edited by KennyR 03.08.2016 - 16:51 ]
  • »02.08.16 - 21:43